Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
According to Hockey Ref he's:
- net -10 in all situations (70gf/80ga)
- net -30 ES (43gf/70ga)
- net -26 5v5 (34gf/60ga)
- net +20 PP (27gf/7ga)
-net 0 PK (he's not on the PK)
I don't know where EN situations fit in for their stats.

It's an interesting situation. Hawks score much more with Bedard on the ice, but goal differential actually goes down a bit. It's probably safe to assume most of the team sucks defensively, but Bedard really seems to stand out in that regard.

5v5 stats, Bedard vs Hawks overall (Bedard included)

Bedard:
2.33 GF/60
4.12 GA/60
36.17 GF%
43.51 xGF%

Hawks:
1.79 GF/60
3.13 GA/60
36.36 GF%
46.11 xGF%

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's an interesting situation. Hawks score much more with Bedard on the ice, but goal differential actually goes down a bit. It's probably safe to assume most of the team sucks defensively, but Bedard really seems to stand out in that regard.

Bedard:
2.33 GF/60
4.12 GA/60
36.17 GF%
43.51 xGF%

Hawks:
1.79 GF/60
3.13 GA/60
36.36 GF%
46.11 xGF%

He's virtually completely lost in the defensive zone. He's great in transition and obviously the offensive zone, but he has no idea how to play in his own zone to force turnovers and get the puck moving the other way.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Bedard:
2.33 GF/60
4.12 GA/60
36.17 GF%
43.51 xGF%

Hawks:
1.79 GF/60
3.13 GA/60
36.36 GF%
46.11 xGF%

CHI didn't get into the 2nd worst record in the league due to bad puck luck. It's a team filled with holes up and down the lineup. They have 10 players that are -20 or worse.

To put things in a different perspective Bedard has been on the ice for 70 of the team's goals. CHI has scored a total of 159 goals as a team, so 44%. He missed 14 games too.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I try and remember he is 18 and has barely had to play defense his entire life, he will get coached up a bit and be ok, Chicago is terrible, it just is what it is.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I do it, but i am one of those who thinks that next season will be a throw away, more or less. No chance to win a Cup.

A player like Dickinson or Silayev could pair with Faber as the first pairing for the next iteration of the team and beyond, and I think that Demidov is a major talent... not as sure about Catton, but i think he will be at least the equal of Rossi, with the potential to be better due to his better speed and length. BPA at #5 will have a higher ceiling than Rossi.

I like Rossi, and was very impressed with how he improved over the summer, but think he has a ceiling as a #2C.

Reactions: roon

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
No incentive, rossi is exactly what we need right now.

An undersized 2C is what we need right now? A streaky one at that?

I'm admittedly not sold on the idea of trading him - but I wouldn't go so far as to say he is exactly what we need.

Lukewarm at best.
So you trade Rossi and something to draft someone that hopefully becomes Rossi, or better? It's not like he's old, or on an expiring contract. So, really, what's the incentive to do this?

In my opinion the only way you do it is if you can still hang onto your first, and the incentive would be to sell high on Rossi who on a good team with C depth is a 2 probably 3C and turn him into albeit a mystery box - but perhaps one with a bit more potential and really get ready for the post buyout era....maybe shore up our Defense a bit?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I do it, but i am one of those who thinks that next season will be a throw away, more or less. No chance to win a Cup.

A player like Dickinson or Silayev could pair with Faber as the first pairing for the next iteration of the team and beyond, and I think that Demidov is a major talent... not as sure about Catton, but i think he will be at least the equal of Rossi, with the potential to be better due to his better speed and length. BPA at #5 will have a higher ceiling than Rossi.

I like Rossi, and was very impressed with how he improved over the summer, but think he has a ceiling as a #2C.
I also think that's his ceiling. I'm not sure I'd do it, but I'd definitely consider it. I guess it depends on what that "+" is. If it were Rossi straight up, I'd probably bite. If it were Rossi and a 4th I'd probably also still bite. If it were Rossi and a 3rd? Ehh, probably not. That's all assuming it's the 5th overall, not higher.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
An undersized 2C is what we need right now? A streaky one at that?

I'm admittedly not sold on the idea of trading him - but I wouldn't go so far as to say he is exactly what we

Lots of people wanted to trade ek those first couple of seasons too, I say we be patient and see what we have. It isn't like he has no upside yet and he already plays responsible defense.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I also think that's his ceiling. I'm not sure I'd do it, but I'd definitely consider it. I guess it depends on what that "+" is. If it were Rossi straight up, I'd probably bite. If it were Rossi and a 4th I'd probably also still bite. If it were Rossi and a 3rd? Ehh, probably not. That's all assuming it's the 5th overall, not higher.
I think ROR/Lambos might be a + that we could live with, yet would still have some attraction to other teams.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd rather roll with Rossi over Dach. I like his smarts, and has the knack of putting up points. Haven't seen enough of Pinto to comment, but he seems to be a bit of a bonehead. There used to be a guy around here who was really high on Rossi, but haven't heard from him for a while. I think his name was RossiSaveUs , or something like that.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'd rather roll with Rossi over Dach. I like his smarts, and has the knack of putting up points. Haven't seen enough of Pinto to comment, but he seems to be a bit of a bonehead. There used to be a guy around here who was really high on Rossi, but haven't heard from him for a while. I think his name was RossiSaveUs , or something like that.
Rossi has been the most noticeable player on the ice the past couple games imo

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The Wild have a 30 goal center this year, and are one Hartman goal way from having two 20 goal centers as well. For a team always on the hunt for centers, pretty impressive.

Unfortunately Freddy G continues to be the top face-off guy (only one over 50%), although Khusnutdinov looks promising in that area.

Hats off to JEE though. His steady progression has been fun to watch.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I won't go quite that far, Boldy and Kap have been great amongst a few others, but I have been more impressed with Rossi the past couple, and he made a play tonight that I really liked, and was out of his usual comfort zone. Some real nice setups to Zucc and good overall play for sure, definitely worth mentioning after a somewhat quiet stretch.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Ek got his 30th. I think if that top line can stay healthy and intact the rest of the way that Boldy could still pull it off. Just needs five more.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
dont want to get in a thing where Im down on Rossi but a concern I have is that he was drafted as a play making center and we havent really seen as much of that as I wouldve hoped either in his time in the AHL or NHL so far. there have been a few flashes now and then but most of his meaningful points have come being net front with a good stick.

A pretty solid 2 way center chipping in at over 0.5ppg at age 22 is definitely promising on any NHL team but he's never been an elite skater and ofc he's not very big and we've yet to see consistent high-level playmaking so it does make you question if this is actually a core guy you want to ride or die with. Or maybe, if there's an opportunity in the offseason, he could be the major part of package to get someone like a Martin Necas who's rumored out of Carolina due to cap, or a Konecny who I'm sure Billy would love, or Kent Johnson who's injured but I think might be a better prospect than Rossi, or a David Jiricek who's been openly displeased about his time in Columbus so far.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
dont want to get in a thing where Im down on Rossi but a concern I have is that he was drafted as a play making center and we havent really seen as much of that as I wouldve hoped either in his time in the AHL or NHL so far. there have been a few flashes now and then but most of his meaningful points have come being net front with a good stick.

A pretty solid 2 way center chipping in at over 0.5ppg at age 22 is definitely promising on any NHL team but he's never been an elite skater and ofc he's not very big and we've yet to see consistent high-level playmaking so it does make you question if this is actually a core guy you want to ride or die with. Or maybe, if there's an opportunity in the offseason, he could be the major part of package to get someone like a Martin Necas who's rumored out of Carolina due to cap, or a Konecny who I'm sure Billy would love, or Kent Johnson who's injured but I think might be a better prospect than Rossi, or a David Jiricek who's been openly displeased about his time in Columbus so far.

I still think he needs to be on the wing to really open up his o-zone game. He just doesn't look footspeed fast enough to be more than a middle-6, 2-way, center. I also think he hasn't really had a great chance to be a playmaker with MarJo, Freddy G, and Zucc all forgetting how to score goals.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad