Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
There is various speculation about Rossi. For example:
I can't take that site seriously; why the hell would they play Faber on his off-hand?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
please explain why it would be a good idea to trade rossi and what can we get for him??? currently makes no sense to me.

Because his value is higher than it ever has been - and lets be honest, when not playing with Kap and Zucc, the kid looked like he belonged in the AHL.

Sure he still has room to grow - it was his first pro year etc. You are however delusional if you think he is a 1C or even legit 2C on a team that has a real shot at winning the cup.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd definitely consider a Jiricek for Rossi trade, and I like Rossi. Huge RHD with skill and talent on an ELC...yes, please. Between he and Faber, that will help anchor our D at a very difficult position to find for the next 10 years or so.

Rossi's work ethic, and improvement over the summer have been very impressive, but i still see the same limitations that I did in earlier years, and there isn't much he can do about them. He is still small, with average speed and strength(he used to be below average). Smart, and with good(not great) puck skills, but doesn't have the speed, reach or quickness to gain separation from defenders to use those skills effectively.

I'm sure he will get a little bit stronger, and a little bit faster as he matures, but his frame limits him.

Happy to keep him rather than to do a bad trade, but the Jiricek one is interesting.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
im delusional? so you have a crystal ball and know exactly how rossi's career will turn out hmmmmm do tell. (i call bs)
How many 5'9 180lb 1C/2C's on legit contenders exist out there? Now tell me how many of those have average speed/strength and skills like Rossi?

On a C starved team like the Wild - anyone remotely resembling a serviceable C gets way over-valued...I get it.

He is a good prospect - one that probably will still improve/grow in his game. He is however a 3C or a top6 winger on a legit team.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Because his value is higher than it ever has been - and lets be honest, when not playing with Kap and Zucc, the kid looked like he belonged in the AHL.

Sure he still has room to grow - it was his first pro year etc. You are however delusional if you think he is a 1C or even legit 2C on a team that has a real shot at winning the cup.
This is certainly some kind of take.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How many 5'9 180lb 1C/2C's on legit contenders exist out there? Now tell me how many of those have average speed/strength and skills like Rossi?

On a C starved team like the Wild - anyone remotely resembling a serviceable C gets way over-valued...I get it.

He is a good prospect - one that probably will still improve/grow in his game. He is however a 3C or a top6 winger on a legit team.
Both of those could end up being just fine, depending on what Yurov is.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Both of those could end up being just fine, depending on what Yurov is.

Right - I am sure he would have a place in either of those spots on this team. My preference would be to capitalize on his impressive rookie season to trade him for some young help on D. I think that would be smart asset management - we have quite a bit more help coming to the forward group than we do our D core from our prospect pool...Rossi would be a loss, but an acceptable one if we could improve our D core.

This is certainly some kind of take.
I've seen enough of your "takes" to understand your opinion on what is or isn't a bad take is irrelevant.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

What do you view Brayden Point as?

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Someone that Centers the likely Art Ross/Hart trophy winner.

Also - bigger and a much better skater than Rossi.
That’s not what I asked. I asked you to evaluate him like you’re evaluating Rossi.

Point is not bigger. He’s 1 inch taller and weighs 4lb less.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
A 92 point player in the season that he turned 22 (at the end of it).
He’s exactly what Rossi should strive to replicate. Just a couple of years along from what Point did due to the Myocarditis lost year. So compare Rossi’s 22 y/o season to Point’s 20 y/o season. I’d like to see Rossi jump to 60+ points next year to follow the trajectory.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He’s exactly what Rossi should strive to replicate. Just a couple of years along from what Point did due to the Myocarditis lost year. So compare Rossi’s 22 y/o season to Point’s 20 y/o season. I’d like to see Rossi jump to 60+ points next year to follow the trajectory.

Give him some regular PP time and a decent winger on a consistent basis and 60+ pts should be doable

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
That’s not what I asked. I asked you to evaluate him like you’re evaluating Rossi.

Point is not bigger. He’s 1 inch taller and weighs 4lb less.

Much better skater than Rossi - equivalent or better hockey IQ.

Point is 2 inches taller - Rossi is listed at 5'9 and Point 5'11.

I wonder if the 4lbs is what allows him to blow Rossi's doors off in the skating department?

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
HFboards User will never learn to be patient. After all Rossi has been through (COVID, 2 bad coaches, playing with scrubs) he still manged it to put up a 20/20 season. He got better & better every year (minus the COVID year) and did everything they've asked him to do. They use him in front of the net on PP2 but he should play as a playmaker with the puck on his stick in those situations. His playmaking abilities are one of his strengths alongside his Hockey IQ and work ethic but they didn't usehis strengths so far.

I think his development isn't over. I don't get Guerin. Why do you draft a smallish player if you value size over pretty much everything. Size alone won't win you any hockey games.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
HFboards User will never learn to be patient. After all Rossi has been through (COVID, 2 bad coaches, playing with scrubs) he still manged it to put up a 20/20 season. He got better & better every year (minus the COVID year) and did everything they've asked him to do. They use him in front of the net on PP2 but he should play as a playmaker with the puck on his stick in those situations. His playmaking abilities are one of his strengths alongside his Hockey IQ and work ethic but they didn't usehis strengths so far.

I think his development isn't over. I don't get Guerin. Why do you draft a smallish player if you value size over pretty much everything. Size alone won't win you any hockey games.
All of this and especially the fact that I was still watching him get better all the way through this season. He was bounced all over the lineup and his pp2 time was with an abysmal unit.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
edit...

I am surprised to find the Wild are the shortest team in the league:

Maybe it's a junk stat, as Colo is second smallest and pretty damn good, but still, the NHL is a VERY physical league so size never really hurt anything.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Rossi will be fine, now playing with Zucc, not the worst guy to take advice from.
But not too many of those cross ice passing lessons :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad