Michael Russo: Minnesota Recalls Alex Stalock; Will Play Thursday vs. Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'll admit to not having watched a single IA Wild game in my life ... but do we really think that Stalock is going to play any better than Kuemper? Or is this just giving it a shot to see how we play in front of him (because we don't play that will in front of K)?

It'd be hard for him to play WORSE than Kuemper!

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Well this will be interesting. Stalock is poor positionally, imho and is a complete reactionary goalie. He'll either be on fire or be a sieve.

I don't agree with this assessment at all. He's not poor positionally, he just lacks size and isn't as quick as the good to elite goalies near his size. Kuemper is poor positionally, but kind of makes up for it in size.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Should have tried him a month ago. They rode Dubs too hard all season. Should have given Kuemper more games early, and if not doing the job, give Stalock a look. Not the best time to be experimenting because a game or two for Stalock really doesn't mean much. Better hope Dubs gets back on track!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can he be any worse than Doobs or Kuemper playing the puck? Look, if he comes in and is a sieve, no big deal. We just go back to Kuemper. It's not like he is going anywhere.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Can he be any worse than Doobs or Kuemper playing the puck? Look, if he comes in and is a sieve, no big deal. We just go back to Kuemper. It's not like he is going anywhere.

He was excellent at playing the puck in college. Just that he'd get a little... Adventurous, and put himself in a couple dicey situations:laugh:

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Seems the writing's on the wall for Kuemper here. Good thing overall, but sucks that we had to go through that annoying holdout for his current contract so he could **** the bed in all but a handful of chances he was given.

Does Stalock tend to try to play the puck on dump-n-chase situations, or only the more passive dump-ins?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Seems the writing's on the wall for Kuemper here. Good thing overall, but sucks that we had to go through that annoying holdout for his current contract so he could **** the bed in all but a handful of chances he was given.

Does Stalock tend to try to play the puck on dump-n-chase situations, or only the more passive dump-ins?

I think writing's been on the wall for Kuemper ever since his agent threatened arbitration. There's obviously a disagreement between Kuemper's camp and Wild management regarding his value. Guessing they'll part ways after this season.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I think writing's been on the wall for Kuemper ever since his agent threatened arbitration. There's obviously a disagreement between Kuemper's camp and Wild management regarding his value. Guessing they'll part ways after this season.

And his play this season has shown that he has no value. I would even argue negative value, because we could almost certainly sign a veteran career backup for less money.

Kuemper is a headcase. The kid has never figured out how to deal with frustration. It's plain as day when he lets in a goal he doesn't think he should have. He's just worthless for the rest of the game, fighting the puck, awful rebound control. Simply put, he's a completely different player after he lets in a soft goal.

I'm hopeful that we go into next season with an NHL quality backup, who can actually take a bit of pressure off Dubnyk, who, to me, looks like he's just plain tired and unfocused. At this point, if that's Stalock? I'm completely convinced he couldn't possibly be worse than Kuemper.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Member the days of Jose Theodore as our backup? Those were fun. We need a reliable backup big time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
1e5.gif

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Remember when we'd have goaltending controversies? Manny or Roli? Roli or Backstrom? It use to be our best asset. On the flip side, it was probably our best asset, because our offense and defense sucked.

We just need to find a decent backup, which thankfully should be easier than if we had to find a starter.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Remember when we'd have goaltending controversies? Manny or Roli? Roli or Backstrom? It use to be our best asset. On the flip side, it was probably our best asset, because our offense and defense sucked.

We just need to find a decent backup, which thankfully should be easier than if we had to find a starter.

You mean Manny or Backstrom, right? I was so sad when Backstrom beat out Fernandez and they traded him away.

My favorite college Stalock memory was when he got scored on a huge amount by the Badgers at the Kohl Center and after every goal he shot the puck down at the badger goalie. He eventually got an unsportmanlike penalty and then never did it again :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
03/04 was manny vs roli. great job by stalock last night , i hope we play him another 2 games then get doober back on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad