Online Series: Mindhunter (Netflix)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Thought it was just okay, really. Agree fully with all the love for Britton who was absolutely incredible, and stole every scene he was in.

Oh man, can we not spoil tag anymore on new HF?

Cameron Britton is going to win an Emmy for his performance.

One of may favorite scenes is when we get a glimpse at the BTK killer, who isn't explicitly identified throughout the entire series, as he waits in a house by himself waiting for a victim and then leaves angrily when nobody shows up.

The backstory of this true occurrence is incredible. The victim in this case was an old woman the BTK killer had been stalking for days, and somehow by sheer chance she evaded being murdered several times by staying out late or deciding not to go home at the last second.

He eventually gave up and later told investigators that her evasion absolutely infuriated him beyond belief. Once she was told how close she was to death the old woman promptly moved out of state.

What an awesome part of that awful timeline to put in the show.

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. Not knowing much about Rader, I had no idea that this is what was going on in that scene. I was thinking he was in his own home, trying to psyche himself up into going out to murder someone, but this makes a lot more sense.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Spoil tagging still works, I believe, but (for me) it only works manually, not with the "insert spoiler" function.
[spoiler ] yada [/spoiler]

yada

Reactions: silverfish

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow. Fantastic show and first season. Very happy to know it's been picked up for a second season.

Last episode was incredible and I want to know more about so many characters. I agree that Kemper is well played, but the tree-cutter was also so well done. When he was triggered... Ford with Kemper at the very end was really intense. I also loved it when Zeppelin first came on.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I gotta agree - I binged the whole series and it is fantastic. I love that they teased the next season throughout the first. I have to imagine Anna Torv will get more backstory in S2 too. She is great.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The last scene of the season with Kemper and Holden scared the crap out of me, no lie. Cameron Britton... hope this catapults him a long way. He earned it

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The last scene of the season with Kemper and Holden scared the crap out of me, no lie. Cameron Britton... hope this catapults him a long way. He earned it
Yeah, I just watched the final episode last night, and when Kemper hugged Holden, it straight up gave me a shiver down my spine.

Overall, I thought it was a great show. Will definitely watch season 2.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I found the end of the season a bit unsatisfying, but I'll watch season 2.

Sometimes Netflix will order and shoot 20 episodes but just release 10 at a time. Perhaps that is why it seemed like less of a typical season finale.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Very much enjoyed it. Binge watched the last 5 or so episodes over 2 days. It's definitely compelling.

I like how they've managed to bring in the period issues involving the revolutions of the 60's and 70's as a backdrop to the more tangible aspects of the profiling.

The Americans has managed to do similar stuff with the 1980s.

I thought it was interesting that they spent so much time talking about stressors, and then Holden loses his girlfriend, potentially his job, and is in mortal danger within a very small span of time. He's definitely reminiscent of Will Graham in Hannibal, including his particular capacity to understand how they think.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
I think the bar scene in the first episode may rival some of Winona Ryder's lowest points in the first season of Stranger Things. It felt like a YouTube video of amateur actors trying to pull off something above their skill level. Overall it was a good first episode though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Very much enjoyed it. Binge watched the last 5 or so episodes over 2 days. It's definitely compelling.

I like how they've managed to bring in the period issues involving the revolutions of the 60's and 70's as a backdrop to the more tangible aspects of the profiling.

The Americans has managed to do similar stuff with the 1980s.

I thought it was interesting that they spent so much time talking about stressors, and then Holden loses his girlfriend, potentially his job, and is in mortal danger within a very small span of time. He's definitely reminiscent of Will Graham in Hannibal, including his particular capacity to understand how they think.

Probably because Will Graham is based on the same person Holden is.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the bar scene in the first episode may rival some of Winona Ryder's lowest points in the first season of Stranger Things. It felt like a YouTube video of amateur actors trying to pull off something above their skill level. Overall it was a good first episode though.

Yeah, I've had to tell people to keep watching because it gets much better.

Holden becomes a little less wooden although his awkwardness is actually emblematic of his personality.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Wow. Fantastic show and first season. Very happy to know it's been picked up for a second season.

Last episode was incredible and I want to know more about so many characters. I agree that Kemper is well played, but the tree-cutter was also so well done. When he was triggered... Ford with Kemper at the very end was really intense. I also loved it when Zeppelin first came on.

That scene is based on an actual event between Kemper and one of the FBI profilers this is loosely based on, Robert Ressler. Except Kemper wasn't in a hospital, it was inside his cell at the penitentiary. Wikipedia has a little blurb on it, Ressler wrote about it. I

I'm sure it's probably referenced in the Mindhunter book too, but I haven't read that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That scene is based on an actual event between Kemper and one of the FBI profilers this is loosely based on, Robert Ressler. Except Kemper wasn't in a hospital, it was inside his cell at the penitentiary. Wikipedia has a little blurb on it, Ressler wrote about it. I

I'm sure it's probably referenced in the Mindhunter book too, but I haven't read that.

Thanks for letting me know about that, I was actually curious as to whether they invented a scene for dramatic purposes with a real life person as the subject. Glad to hear that it wasn't a fabrication.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

It's too bad they switched it. What Kemper said to Ressler in real life would have probably been the best scene in the show, if that's possible. Loved everything about this show but was so hoping that would have made the cut

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm on episode 4 now, just started today. I'll be done by tomorrow.

This show is exceptional.

I started, and then I couldn't stop :laugh:

Wow what a crazy good show. Fincher is ridiculously good at crime thriller movies and this only became even more evident with 10 hour long episodes of psychological thrills that Mindhunter delivers.

Finale is crazy and the ending kind of leaves you in a complete state of unknowing.

I cant wait for season 2. Wow.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't actually know how to do spoiler tags so.... spoiler.....

Just assuming and the little i know about serial killers, i'm assuming season2 is based on BTK

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't actually know how to do spoiler tags so.... spoiler.....

Just assuming and the little i know about serial killers, i'm assuming season2 is based on BTK

That would be good, This show could go in so many directions. I just finished it and it left me wanting more. I feel it's been a bit too focused on the internal conflicts at the FBI. Looking forward to season 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad