Miller vs Kreider

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Not denying that Miller is a physical player. Expressing my thoughts on this type of discussion tactic to prove a point.

Hits as a metric exists. Why not just say that Miller was 2nd on the team in hits last season during 5v5 play?

because visuals are more powerful

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
because visuals are more powerful

You'd rather post a video of one hit than look at Miller's entire season and say something like:

"I know everyone loves Kreider's size, but Miller is no slouch, either. He was 2nd on the team in hits last year during 5v5 play (2 more than Kreider)."

One video of him knocking Karlsson down is more powerful? When, again, I can find one video of anyone doing anything that I want?

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
You'd rather post a video of one hit than look at Miller's entire season and say something like:

"I know everyone loves Kreider's size, but Miller is no slouch, either. He was 2nd on the team in hits last year during 5v5 play (2 more than Kreider)."

One video of him knocking Karlsson down is more powerful? When, again, I can find one video of anyone doing anything that I want?

The short answer, Yes.

Most people retain more knowledge from something they have seen rather than something they have read.

Why do you think TV ads cost more than print?

Stats are cold hard facts, while the video tells the story behind those facts. That hit counts as 1 hit on the stat sheet, but is probably the best looking one on there. The video provides reference.

Plus, we all watch most NYR games. We all know that Miller is a physical player. I'm not trying to make a soft player out to look like Eric Lindros. The video is reminder, plus its an awesome hit that is fun to watch.

I'm not even advocating for Miller over Kreider so relax. I just felt Miller was not getting enough credit.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kreider is more naturally talented, but Miller I think has better offensive instincts. I would not be too surprised to see Millers goals go down, but his assist to go up some. Kreider don't think he has as much play making ability, but one on one he should be a tougher player to stop.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The short answer, Yes.

Most people retain more knowledge from something they have seen rather than something they have read.

Stats are cold hard facts, while the video tells the story behind those facts. That hit counts as 1 hit on the stat sheet, but is probably the best looking one on there. The video provides reference.

Plus, we all watch most NYR games. We all know that Miller is a physical player. I'm not trying to make a soft player out to look like Eric Lindros. The video is reminder, plus its an awesome hit that is fun to watch.

I'm not even advocating for Miller over Kreider so relax. I just felt Miller was not getting enough credit.

Re: Bolded... Basically, you admit you're trying to falsify evidence. It's like, okay, Miller threw 170 hits, so I'm going to post the best looking one to make people think all 170 of Miller's hits looked like this. And thus helping to prove my point that posting one video of one thing is a total farce in terms of arguing a point, and I'm right to be speculative of someone using one video as evidence of a larger fact.

Re: the red... I used to be a Media Planner (ie. a professional in this realm), so, I'll spare you the essay on why TV ads cost more than print ads isn't as simple as because "you see the ad, not read the ad".

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Re: Bolded... Basically, you admit you're trying to falsify evidence. It's like, okay, Miller threw 170 hits, so I'm going to post the best looking one to make people think all 170 of Miller's hits looked like this. And thus helping to prove my point that posting one video of one thing is a total farce in terms of arguing a point, and I'm right to be speculative of someone using one video as evidence of a larger fact.

Re: the red... I used to be a Media Planner (ie. a professional in this realm), so, I'll spare you the essay on why TV ads cost more than print ads isn't as simple as because "you see the ad, not read the ad".

Condescension aside, you keep trying to skew the point.

People are more visual learners above everything else.

Miller is absolutely a physical player. You think people that have watched him play almost every game (i.e. everyone on this board) don't already know that? Like I said before, This is a REMINDER OF WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF, not an insight into what he does every night. Its a highlight. If you think the purpose of highlights are to "falsify evidence" then I don't know what to tell you.

It's not like we have never seen Miller play and I alone have the power to show you what kind of player he is.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Condescension aside, you keep trying to skew the point.

People are more visual learners above everything else.

Miller is absolutely a physical player. You think people that have watched him play almost every game (i.e. everyone on this board) don't already know that? Like I said before, This is a REMINDER OF WHAT HE IS CAPABLE OF, not an insight into what he does every night. Its a highlight. If you think the purpose of highlights are to "falsify evidence" then I don't know what to tell you.

It's not like we have never seen Miller play and I alone have the power to show you what kind of player he is.

Okay, I have absolutely no idea how I was being condescending in that post. As this is now a growing accusation against me, obviously it is something I'm doing. Can you let me know what about my post was condescending, and I'll fix it?

Was it the fact that I pointed out you used a comparison to an industry I made a career in that you felt was condescending?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

This is HF, bud. :laugh:

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.

TV ads cost more than print ads because the reach is greater. Non-digital ad costs are driven by exposure, not some perceived basis of retention. With digital, it's a mix of exposure, click through and maybe actual uptake. Retention has nothing to do with price.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Both can be inconsistent for stretches at a time. It'd be interesting to see if Miller progresses forward more this season. Kreider it's more what you see is what you get at this point.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Viewers! Viewers!

Number of Viewers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad