Miller vs Kreider

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
So Rangers fans, whom of these 2 players do you think will be the better player for you in the future?

My take on the 2 players is while Kreider have more potential I think Miller is the one who have showed more and likely to reach his potential.

I mean no harm with this thread, just 2 players Im intrested in and its summer so...

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Miller. But if by some slim chance Kreider "puts it all together" he will be one of the better forwards in the NHL. But I don't see that happening so I would say Miller

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
So Rangers fans, whom of these 2 players do you think will be the better player for you in the future?

My take on the 2 players is while Kreider have more potential I think Miller is the one who have showed more and likely to reach his potential.

I mean no harm with this thread, just 2 players Im intrested in and its summer so...

Don't really see this at all, and I am a big fan of Miller.

Kreider gets a lot of **** on here for being inconsistent, which he is, but Miller hasn't been the model of consistency himself. He had a very good year, but nearly half his goals came in an eight game span.

I think both Miller and Kreider are a big part of our future, and will end up being fairly similar in terms of their offensive output, but Miller will never have the game changing ability that Kreider possesses. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out often, but when it does, Kreider is a force to be reckoned with. I was watching some 2014 playoff highlights recently, and Kreider just had some absolutely insane moments. I haven't seen that from Miller yet.

That said, Miller is great, and I'm fairly confident he can push 50 points this year. I think Miller is smarter offensively and has better hands, but he needs to shoot the puck more and I'd like to see him be a bit more physical. Of course, he'll never match Kreider's speed and size, but he's a lot more slick with the puck.

Overall, I think it's too close to call on most fronts. If I was forced to trade one, though, it'd be Miller. I just think that what Kreider brings is nearly impossible to replace, even if he "only" puts up 20 goals and 25 assists a season.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
All I know is that I know what player I'd prefer to go on a breakaway, and his name does not start with a C

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It is a very tough call looking at last season. I think both are solid 2nd line players right now. I'm glad we have both and do not have to choose.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Don't really see this at all, and I am a big fan of Miller.

Kreider gets a lot of **** on here for being inconsistent, which he is, but Miller hasn't been the model of consistency himself. He had a very good year, but nearly half his goals came in an eight game span.

I think both Miller and Kreider are a big part of our future, and will end up being fairly similar in terms of their offensive output, but Miller will never have the game changing ability that Kreider possesses. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out often, but when it does, Kreider is a force to be reckoned with. I was watching some 2014 playoff highlights recently, and Kreider just had some absolutely insane moments. I haven't seen that from Miller yet.

That said, Miller is great, and I'm fairly confident he can push 50 points this year. I think Miller is smarter offensively and has better hands, but he needs to shoot the puck more and I'd like to see him be a bit more physical. Of course, he'll never match Kreider's speed and size, but he's a lot more slick with the puck.

Overall, I think it's too close to call on most fronts. If I was forced to trade one, though, it'd be Miller. I just think that what Kreider brings is nearly impossible to replace, even if he "only" puts up 20 goals and 25 assists a season.

That intangible that you feel when you play against a guy with that kind of special combination of power/speed will not show up in stats but you know it when you are on the ice against a player like Kreider.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
All I know is that I know what player I'd prefer to go on a breakaway, and his name does not start with a C

jt never gets any breakaways...so you dont really get to see it that often. let me ask you, how often does the goalie stop the puck in a shootout? henrik stops 3 out of every 4, and hes not even in the top 10 in career shootout save percentage.

so even if CK is average in breakaway situations he's still going to not score in about 3 out of every 4 chances...

i'll take a player that constantly gets those chances, even if he doesnt finish, because it does have effects all over the ice, including causing the defense to increase their gaps so they dont give up those chances.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
jt never gets any breakaways...so you dont really get to see it that often. let me ask you, how often does the goalie stop the puck in a shootout? henrik stops 3 out of every 4, and hes not even in the top 10 in career shootout save percentage.

so even if CK is average in breakaway situations he's still going to not score in about 3 out of every 4 chances...

i'll take a player that constantly gets those chances, even if he doesnt finish, because it does have effects all over the ice, including causing the defense to increase their gaps so they dont give up those chances.

I remember JT scored on breakaways 2 games in a row both off awesome passes by Zooks.

CK had some breakaway issues last season but had some breakaway success in past seasons.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Miller had better playmaking potential, a wicked shot, and plays with the snarl we all wish Kreider would. His major weakspot is loss of concentration on D on occasion, which can result in sloppy turnovers. I think that will improve.

Kreider doesn't have a wicked shot, has very little playmaking potential, and does not play a consistently physical game.

Right now I'd have to go with Miller.

NASTY

Jul 29, 2016
Kreider- Has a great shot, very powerful skater, has bad hands, strong and big player, can change the tempo of a game when he wants to, has consistency troubles, has a chip on his shoulder.
Miller- Has a good shot, also has a chip on his shoulder, good skater, good hands, also had a little bit of consistency troubles this past season not as much as Kreider though, and is the better playmaker.

When Kreider plays like the physical beast he is and uses his speed, shot, and strength he is much better than Miller

When Kreider doesn't use his strength, shot, and speed to his advantage Miller is the better hockey player.

So its tough to say who is better it really depends on how each player plays throughout the season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Kreider drives more scoring chances and more goals for the Rangers when he is on the ice vs when Miller is on the ice.

Let's bump this thread next off-season when Miller's ridiculous shooting luck comes back to Earth.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
If Miller were still a center it'd be closer, but absolutely Kreider is the more valuable now and in the foreseeable future. I do think Miller has a higher cielling than he gets credit here, and has also shown he can be dominant in big moments: WJC, 2015ECF

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Kreider edges out Miller at the moment IMO and also has the higher ceiling. They both very similar production rates in the season but the difference is Kreider turns into an absolute monster in the playoffs where he can literally overtake the game for his full shift. I think he already has 20 playoff career goals or very close to that. scary.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Miller by a tiny hair because it looks like he will hit his potential and be a very effective 2nd liner. That and he plays a very physical game.

Power forwards take longer to develop. Kreider is still only going into his 4th year. He could still very well turn into a 30 goal scorer. He would be a complete monster if he does. That's why it's only Miller by a hair..Kreider could easily pass him again.

Both probably top out as 2nd liners, but Kreider still has a chance to be a 1st.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Kreider drives more scoring chances and more goals for the Rangers when he is on the ice vs when Miller is on the ice.

Let's bump this thread next off-season when Miller's ridiculous shooting luck comes back to Earth.

This, and Kreider is already an established first line winger that's a monster in the playoffs.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Miller by a tiny hair because it looks like he will hit his potential and be a very effective 2nd liner. That and he plays a very physical game.

Power forwards take longer to develop. Kreider is still only going into his 4th year. He could still very well turn into a 30 goal scorer. He would be a complete monster if he does. That's why it's only Miller by a hair..Kreider could easily pass him again.

Both probably top out as 2nd liners, but Kreider still has a chance to be a 1st.

huh?

Kreider and miller had the same number of points, with Miller shooting at a percentage roughly equal to guys named Malkin, and Stamkos.

Id say its FARRRR more likely that Kreider blows Miller outta the water this next season than the other way around.

I love having both of these kids on the roster, but i dont get how any objective fan can say that Miller has any advantage whatsoever over Kreider.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
huh?

Kreider and miller had the same number of points, with Miller shooting at a percentage roughly equal to guys named Malkin, and Stamkos.

Id say its FARRRR more likely that Kreider blows Miller outta the water this next season than the other way around.

I love having both of these kids on the roster, but i dont get how any objective fan can say that Miller has any advantage whatsoever over Kreider.

I just think Miller will reach his potential, and that potential will be a hair better what Kreider can bring.

BUT, like i said, I gave Kreider the benefit of the doubt since power forwards take longer..so I said he could easily pass Miller next year if that's the case.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kreider is more difficult to replace, so he should have more value.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

No harm no foul, it is legit, and a fair ? OP

It is a very tough call looking at last season. I think both are solid 2nd line players right now. I'm glad we have both and do not have to choose.

this^

If you force me to choose ^

That intangible that you feel when you play against a guy with that kind of special combination of power/speed will not show up in stats but you know it when you are on the ice against a player like Kreider.
and that is because ^

Miller had better playmaking potential, a wicked shot, and plays with the snarl we all wish Kreider would. His major weakspot is loss of concentration on D on occasion, which can result in sloppy turnovers. I think that will improve.

Kreider doesn't have a wicked shot, has very little playmaking potential, and does not play a consistently physical game.

Right now I'd have to go with Miller.

the other comments are challenge worthy, but the bold is TOTALLY WRONG
he does need to improve accuracy, but his shot is terrific

Remember when one posted compared Kreider to Bure...that is funny in retrospect.

Yeah, not so funny or so wrong, as I said we knew he had speed, but we were finding out the rest, and IF he had the shot, and the touch, that was his ceiling.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
the other comments are challenge worthy, but the bold is TOTALLY WRONG
he does need to improve accuracy, but his shot is terrific

Below is a video containing all of Kreider's goals last year. The wrist shots in tight against St. Louis and Pitt were nice shots....but there are a whole lot of deflections in there, as well as several shots that were weak and should have been saved. If Kreider has a great shot, he rarely uses it to score goals. Other than the 2 wristers and a couple of nice power moves, his highlight reel is meh.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Below is a video containing all of Kreider's goals last year. The wrist shots in tight against St. Louis and Pitt were nice shots....but there are a whole lot of deflections in there, as well as several shots that were weak and should have been saved. If Kreider has a great shot, he rarely uses it to score goals. Other than the 2 wristers and a couple of nice power moves, his highlight reel is meh.

Do you have this analysis for Miller as well?

EDIT - And I'm also unsure if you're implying here that "a whole lot of deflections" are a bad thing. I don't think you are. I think this is your rebuttal to a conversation about Kreider's shot and shot alone. But those "whole lot of deflections" means that Kreider was going to the net and doing his job. Again, don't think this is you saying that deflections are a bad thing, and think it's more as a rebuttal to Kreider's shot, but I just wanted to make sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad