GDT: Mild @ Abes | 7:30pm MT 1:57am ESPN Time | Non-Emergency Emergency GDT

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This seems like a clear path, but Bednar has only put this second line together for 14 minutes so far. Really a shame, because it feels like on paper, it could be special.

Or Nichushkin on the top line with Drou and MacK.

The 3rd line looked good last night without Wood. I wonder if they split Wood/Colton up when Woody returns.
They have to split up the two idiots. I didn't like when Bednar said they should play together because they're such close teammates and friends. F*** that. If it ain't working, it ain't working.

Duhaime seems very LOC-like and might be able to help Colton a ton out there.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
They have to split up the two idiots. I didn't like when Bednar said they should play together because they're such close teammates and friends. F*** that. If it ain't working, it ain't working.

Duhaime seems very LOC-like and might be able to help Colton a ton out there.

Interestingly the underlyings for Parise/Wood/Colton are good.

But they’ve been on the ice for 3 goals for and 6 against. It’s possible Georgiev is making them look worse than they are. Their high danger chance numbers are actually very good.

Either way, I wouldn’t mind seeing Wood and Colton separated for a bit.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Who said MacKinnon was a douche? He seems like a pretty alright dude.

I also met O'Reilly though and in my experience he was in fact a very nice guy. All I wanted was to say hello but he was the one that actually extended the conversation.
I keep reading on here posts by multiple blokes that he is either crazy or a douche.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Interestingly the underlyings for Parise/Wood/Colton are good.

But they’ve been on the ice for 3 goals for and 6 against. It’s possible Georgiev is making them look worse than they are. Their high danger chance numbers are actually very good.

Either way, I wouldn’t mind seeing Wood and Colton separated for a bit.
The problem with that line is they are prone to some major gaffes and pull each other out of position.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The problem with that line is they are prone to some major gaffes and pull each other out of position.

Parise is the smartest player on the line, but his legs don't let him execute what his brain is reading and seeing out there. He's very much at the end of the tank. Not as smooth a skater like Cogliano who, despite nowhere near the puck ability, still has legs for days and can make up for shortcomings.

Wood and Colton are two of the dumbest players on the team. They desperately miss LOC's presence on that line. LOC's shorthanded goals weren't a fluke; he reads the game very well and knows where to be at the right times. Wood and Colton are your definition of north-south, slap pucks on net and keep their heads down type of players. They need a smart player alongside them who can still skate. LOC was a perfect fit.

Who said MacKinnon was a douche? He seems like a pretty alright dude.

I also met O'Reilly though and in my experience he was in fact a very nice guy. All I wanted was to say hello but he was the one that actually extended the conversation.

ROR is a great guy. He gets along with almost anybody. Super approachable. Really fun to be around.

People are sometimes rubbed the wrong way because he expects accountability from every member of a team, from players to coaches to training staff. He wants to win. Hates losing. Probably doesn't wear losing well on his sleeve. That perception of being a dick, similar to MacK, is because they value winning more than anything else. Winning shouldn't naturally be fun, it's hard work.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
ROR is a great guy. He gets along with almost anybody. Super approachable. Really fun to be around.

People are sometimes rubbed the wrong way because he expects accountability from every member of a team, from players to coaches to training staff. He wants to win. Hates losing. Probably doesn't wear losing well on his sleeve. That perception of being a dick, similar to MacK, is because they value winning more than anything else. Winning shouldn't naturally be fun, it's hard work.

I think it was ROR's dad that turned many ....

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Had to watch this one on significant time delay. I'm in the second period right now but had to jump online to say, this is the John Buccigross I missed from ESPN's original NHL run. His call after MacKinnon's goal, "Watch out...Here comes MacKinnon, SCOOOOOORE!!!!!!. He's a freakshow!!!! And he's extra freaky-deaky tonight. Two goals, an assist, three points in all and the Avs lead 4 to 2."

It could just be me, but it seems like he and the rest of the ESPN crew has been a bit down on the Avs, or rather cheering for the other team in most of the broadcasts they've done since they got the new contract. Tonight, has been refreshing. Bucci is heaping praise on both teams and just calling out great plays both ways. It's a true national broadcast and I'm really enjoying it.

Also, I am contemplating something I never thought I would do. Nathaniel MacKinnon, Protector of the North Range, destroyer of keepers, defenders and would be attackers, and first of his name has actually surpassed Joe Sakic as my preferred center from Avs/Nordiques franchise. He's also neck and neck and may actually be ahead of Peter the Great as the first forward I would choose in an Avalanche all-time re-rank.

And as I'm typing this all out, I hear Bucci say, "Final minute in the second, watch out MacKinnon's got wheels, MACKINNON IS GOING TO GO RIGHT AROUND MIDDLETON. HERE HE COMES AGAIN! HELLLLLO!!!!! HERE COMES THE HATS!"

Maybe I'm just enjoying the hell out of the Avs playing a good game of hockey and that's got me doing the Rocky Mountain High tonight. Or maybe it's the dope I smoked after chemo. Either way, good night.
Great post. Love it.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
1. Sakic
2. MacKinnon
3. Makar
4. Roy
5. Forsberg
6. Skoula

Skoula at #6 because his puck poise was just unmatched in not only Avs history but the NHL altogether.
Also, you managed to create a lineup with 3 forwards, 2 defenseman, and a goalie. And who is a better left-handed D in Avs history than Mr. Puck Poise?

• Haha
Reactions: RoyIsALegend and SB

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My all-time lineup at this point is:

Forsberg-Sakic-MacKinnon
Foote-Makar
Roy

Biggest problem is we should be playing with two or three pucks with all those dudes out there. One is just not enough. I would hate to play against those guys with a man advantage, even more so at even strength and I would probably ask the refs if we could just spot them a goal and skip the power play. No need to embarrass us on top of penalizing us a goal.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If - big if - Landeskog does return it sure will be awkward to see who Bednar sits.

The pessimist in me thinks he'll sit Duhaime because he will give preference to the vets.

The optimist in me hopes he would sit Parise because right now of the regulars (lol f*** you Wagner you scrub you don't count) he is the worst forward of the bunch.
Yes. It should be an easy call. Sit Parise. But we all know Bednar.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Got to ice the best team and I hate to say it, but Parise is only above Kivi in my books and that is probably due more to his legacy than his current track record. He's not nearly as good in the board battles bringing the puck out for a quick shot or passing opportunity as I remember him being. That's where I was truly optimistic that he could be a fit for our bottom six.

However, both will most likely get games due to injuries so I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a chance to engrave their names on the cup. If something clicks and one of them steps up and makes it hard for an injured guy to get back into the lineup, that's exactly what you hope your depth is capable of doing...adequately taking over and competing rather than just stepping in and trying to get you by.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Parise is a bit frustrating… because damn he looked good early on, but the last ten, or so games, he’s been brutal.

I have a hard time believing that he’s just cooked now a few weeks after such good play.

I’d like to see them put Kovalenko in for him. That way you accomplish two things. Parise gets rest and you get a look at Kovalenko.

Reactions: Chiarelli and Murzu

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Parise is a bit frustrating… because damn he looked good early on, but the last ten, or so games, he’s been brutal.

I have a hard time believing that he’s just cooked now a few weeks after such good play.

I’d like to see them put Kovalenko in for him. That way you accomplish two things. Parise gets rest and you get a look at Kovalenko.
Parise started to look cooked once two things happened:

1) Knee injury
2) Forced to play RW

He can't make plays in the d-zone on the wall when he is playing RW. It is resulting in a turnover almost every time when there is pressure. He needs to play LW.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Would it really be all that surprising that a nearly 40 year old man just doesn’t have the legs to sustain?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just watched the game. I dont know how you dont give the MVP to Mackinnon at this point. All 4 points last night were highlight reel. All 3 goals were highlight reel goals. You see one of those goals every 2 months in a season. Guy did it in 2 hrs. Amazing stuff.

Avs held the opp to 20 shots and still it was a game until Mackinnon said f*** you Fourgiev. Seriously, wtf is that 1st goal? This is Hunter Miska bad at this point from this f***in asshole. The second goal is not much better. I can hear my old coach on that one, "Why are you allowing a puck through your crease!!!!" The body language after that goal says it all. He sucks and he knows it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think one of the things Nates gotten much better at is determining when it is the right time to use those bursts. I feel in prior seasons he tried to play the entire game at a higher pace which limited the effectiveness of the burst because it wasn't that big of a change of speed for him. Now they obviously still want to dictate pace, but he's choosing his spots on those speeds bursts and just nailing them. Also, since he's not doing everything at 11, when he does choose to use the burst, he gets the full benefit of his incredible acceleration from a slower speed which enables a lot of that separation I think. Even when his burst chances fail to result in a goal, they've been resulting in good scoring chances.

Last night though...that was a man reminding the league exactly what he is capable of doing least anyone had forgotten. The only individual Avalanche performance that is comparable for me is Peter Forsberg's 5 point comeback win vs the Panthers.

Reactions: Metallo and katfude

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
God I hope so... you can get away with 150 combined IQ on a line... but when you need a 120+ out of one guy, it is just too much.
Such is the problem with needing Trenin to center the 4th line. He's much better utilized on the 3rd in Woods spot. Hard to find a working combination until Kovalenko is health IMO.

Just sucks not to have LOC. Give me an injury to any other bottom 6er outside of Colton because of his position. LOC is a RH shot and just adds a different dynamic to that part of the lineup.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Would it really be all that surprising that a nearly 40 year old man just doesn’t have the legs to sustain?
Not surprising, but definitely disappointing.

And he looks sllllllloooooow out there. Don't know how much the injury is factoring in but yes, I'd send him to the press box next. Won't happen but that's who I'd pick.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If we were to compare them to Superheros, MacKinnon would be like the Punshier for me, a total anti-hero with a bulldog mentality in a crazy tough body.

Makar and McDavid are more elegent, more Mozart or Tchaikovsky to MacKinnon's Beethoven. I would consider both superior skaters to Nate, like the superhero who is mostly perfect all the time; Superman. That doesn't mean MacKinnon is bad or less, he makes up for it in a different way like bullying through people at times. I am not sure why people keep saying he's a douche, I met the bloke and he was nice. Not O'Reilly level nice, but nice, Duchene was the worst player I met IMHO, he's the real Danny Heatley effin' All-Star persona.

Your analogy is backwards. Mozart and Tchaikovsky are the ones with bold and thunderous sounds. Beethoven is the one with more easy/pleasant melody.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad