Value of: Mikko Rantanen

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
He's untouchable. Landeskog would go before Rantanen ever would
In a universe where Landeskog had been healthy the last 2.5 years and still playing like a first line winger? Debatable

In the one where Landeskog would be playing his first season back after missing 2 years and is likely in a best case scenario a 2nd line winger and more likely a bottom sixer making 7 million? Who exactly is agreeing to take that contract without so many add ons it’s just not worth doing?

In a world where Landeskog makes a go this playoffs and then LTIRetires after, the cap space issue is solved

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the Sens win first overall:

1st OV for Rantanen, contingent on handshake extension deal.

I think that's a terrible trade for Ottawa.

The Sens are lost as a team right now and Mikko Rantanen is highly inconsistent and moody and not the consistent stable veteran that the team needs. The Sens don't have a shortage of talent.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
In a universe where Landeskog had been healthy the last 2.5 years and still playing like a first line winger? Debatable

In the one where Landeskog would be playing his first season back after missing 2 years and is likely in a best case scenario a 2nd line winger and more likely a bottom sixer making 7 million? Who exactly is agreeing to take that contract without so many add ons it’s just not worth doing?

In a world where Landeskog makes a go this playoffs and then LTIRetires after, the cap space issue is solved
Pretty much this. In a world where Landeskog is healthy is the only world where the idea of trading Rantanen is considered, and even then I still doubt he's a cap casualty.

However, I think most non-Avs fans might be surprised to hear that when full healthy (i.e. Landeskog is 100%), Rantanen is probably tied with Toews as their 5th most important player. I'm not sure you can pay your 5th guy 11M+ in a cap world. Yes, Nichuskin and Landeskog mean more to the success of this team.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I think that's a terrible trade for Ottawa.

The Sens are lost as a team right now and Mikko Rantanen is highly inconsistent and moody and not the consistent stable veteran that the team needs. The Sens don't have a shortage of talent.
To that I raise:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Rantanen

Need I say more?

Kuz

May 11, 2015
He is 27 now with 1 more year after this, so not that old and should be able to keep his level for several more years. Also he is on a 9,2 million contract now so it wont be a massive increase for him. If they manage to get him for 11 mill as an example he is at 11,9 % of the estimated cap for 25/26. This year he is on 11,1 %.

Colorado have 11 mill for next season and 7 more to work with if Landeskog still is on LTIR.

They have 8 forwards signed including Landeskog. So they probably need 5 players and will probably mostly fill it with cheaper players. They can afford to resign Mittelstadt quite easy if they have Landeskog's cap. If they have Landeskog's cap they could also consider signing Walker back and mostly fill 6th and 7th d with cheap players and the rest of the forward spots aswell.

They have a very good core and they can keep most of it if Landeskog isnt back. If Landeskog comes back they have to make some choices on who to keep.

C: MacKinnon, Mittelstadt, Ross
Wingers: Rantanen, Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Wood, Landeskog?
Defence: Makar, Toews, Girard, Manson

Thats a core that should be able to compete for several years so its risky giving up on Rantanen and thinking that will improve the team. Also with the core being so good they attract a lot of cheaper veterans to fill the depth like this years Drouin, Cogliano, Parise.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think a lot of Avs fans are unimpressed with his effort level the last two seasons. He’s supremely talented which is why he racks up some incredible numbers, but there are also times he makes incredibly ill advised passes through 4 defenders, tries to go 1 on 3, often turns the puck over on very little pressure or doesn’t fight to win a battle. He’s just a frustrating player because Avs fans know just how dominant he can be when he’s on. Mix that in with a coming cap crunch, concerns that Landy comes back much less than the player he was and the amount of assets the Avs have traded away and I think it makes it an interesting idea to move on from Mikko.

With all that being said, the package would have to wow the Avs to convince them to move on from Rantanen and if done is likely a sign and trade sort of deal. The value on that would be insane imo.

A good, young, cheap top 6 forward (ex. Batherson, Jarvis, Svechnikov), depending on the player returned a mixture of a good young roster player (forward or defense) and picks might get the deal done.

If that’s not on the table they look to move Girard, Manson, Lehkonen or another middle priced player for more affordable options.

Last edited:

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
This is a thread for hypothetical values, from fans ,.we all know he’s untouchable. But it’s always interesting to see value of. No ones gonna like it.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Rantenan is in that tier of player where I honestly don't know what a return would look like for him in the middle of his prime. I think with the season Kucherov is having you have to say he's the best winger in the league right now, but then after him you could make a real argument for any of Pasta, Rantenan, or Matty Tkachuk as #2. So what does a realistic return look like for a guy that's at absolute worst the 4th best player at his position on the planet? Starts with a good, young roster player, a blue chip prospect, and at least one 1st but if I'm the Avs I don't see how that's really worth it since they're contending right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think a lot of Avs fans are unimpressed with his effort level the last two seasons. He’s supremely talented which is why he racks up some incredible numbers, but there are also times he makes incredibly ill advised passes through 4 defenders, tries to go 1 on 3, often turns the puck over on very little pressure or doesn’t fight to win a battle. He’s just a frustrating player because Avs fans know just how dominant he can be when he’s on. Mix that in with a coming cap crunch, concerns that Landy comes back much less than the player he was and the amount of assets the Avs have traded away and I think it makes it an interesting idea to move on from Mikko.

With all that being said, the package would have to wow the Avs to convince them to move on from Rantanen and if done is likely a sign and trade sort of deal. The value on that would be insane imo.

A good, young, cheap top 6 forward (ex. Batherson, Jarvis, Svechnikov), depending on the player returned a mixture of a good young roster player (forward or defense) and picks might get the deal done.

If that’s not on the table they look to move Girard, Manson, Lehkonen or another middle priced player for more affordable options.

Could one problem be the destroyed depth of Colorado?

Mackinnon& Rantanen have been among the forwards with the highest icetime per game. You can’t play 23mins a game as a 220lbs modern day powerforward and have elite consistency through 82 games. You’ll have nothing left in the playoffs

It’s been ridiculous how much has been asked from Mackinnon-Rantanen combo the last 2 seasons

Reactions: pekka55

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Mackinnon& Rantanen have been among the forwards with the highest icetime per game. You can’t play 23mins a game as a 220lbs modern day powerforward and have elite consistency through 82 games. You’ll have nothing left in the playoffs

It’s been ridiculous how much has been asked from Mackinnon-Rantanen combo the last 2 seasons

Depth and ice time certainly factor in, they’ve been absolute forces and obviously have been asked to play insane minutes for a forward. With that being said, he’s attached to a competitive freak who goes all out every night, so his lack of effort becomes more emphasized. Nichuskin (while less healthy) has managed to play at a consistent high effort level at a very similar size.

He’s one of the most frustrating players because we know that when he’s on he can be better than MacKinnon.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

No he just does stupid things, that has nothing to do with effort or energy

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Also one of the best playoffs performers all time.
Ha. No..gif

I mean, if by "all time" you're referring to the past 5 years, alright. Or perhaps if you've only been watching NHL hockey for perhaps that same 5 year timespan, I can accept that. However, I get your admiration for hyperbole, but no. Not even close to actual "all time".

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad