Value of: Mikko Rantanen

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
It's likely Avs just re-sign him to a mega deal and deal with the consequences later (e.g. Pens, Haws, etc).

BUT if the Avs were to be bold enough to consider trading him prior to UFA to maintain their competitive depth,

what do you think the return would be?

Currently on pace for another 100+ point season and 5th in NHL scoring.

• Haha
Reactions: Bijelo

Snap

Mar 7, 2024
I'd imagine the price starts at a top 6 forward, high end prospect and a 1st. Still not enough imo.

They would be crazy to trade him though. He 100% gets locked up long term.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Agreed, it’s a weak year for draft. We’d need more then just lottery tickets

I’d say David Reinbacher, RHD. A young roster player and a first. I’m sure Montreal would probably Balk at that, 50 goal scorer and 2 years w/ over a hundred points. I wouldn’t settle for less

Last edited:
Reactions: Bijelo

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Agreed, it’s a weak year for draft. We’d need more then just lottery tickets

I’d say David Reinbacher, RHD. A young roster player and a first. I’m sure Montreal would probably Balk at that, 50 goal scorer and 2 years w/ over a hundred points. I wouldn’t settle for less

Even Reinbacher is too green. I’m not really sure Montreal has something that makes sense.

Someone like Bratt or Batherson + maybe?

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
no can pay enough, Mikko is a top 5 skater* in the NHL

*as in from forwards & defenders

1st in played games
5th in points
5th in assists
5th in ppg
8th in goals

pace for 112 points

he is big strong and fast
6 foot 4 / 225 lbs
Also one of the best playoffs performers all time.

Reactions: lionsDen

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Would the Avs really let him walk? That seems nuts.

Trade away other depth pieces rather than letting one of the pillars of your team leave via free agency.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I doubt Colorado ever lets Mikko walk. Home grown talent, top 5 in scoring right now, elevates in the playoffs, soft scoring hands, and a really great teammate. We'll jettison others before Rantanen leaves this team. MacKinnon, Makar, Nichushkin, and Rantanen are the Avalanche core. The rest can be shuffled around that group of guys.

That said, if we had to move him? It'd have to be a cost controlled top 15 young foward (which is hard to come by) and you'd add a significant amount to that to get him. Mikko is a force and one of the sole reasons the Avs have limped by with limited depth scoring all year long.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I doubt Colorado ever lets Mikko walk. Home grown talent, top 5 in scoring right now, elevates in the playoffs, soft scoring hands, and a really great teammate. We'll jettison others before Rantanen leaves this team. MacKinnon, Makar, Nichushkin, and Rantanen are the Avalanche core. The rest can be shuffled around that group of guys.

That said, if we had to move him? It'd have to be a cost controlled top 15 young foward (which is hard to come by) and you'd add a significant amount to that to get him. Mikko is a force and one of the sole reasons the Avs have limped by with limited depth scoring all year long.
For now, Toews is definitely a core guy too. I think the 8 year deal and Byram trade seal that in.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Its lehkonen thats likely traded away to make way someone that plays similar (kovalenko) to get space to pay rantanen. Rantanen is not going anywhere, mack wont let it happen. We also dont have a clear.picture on landy, he might ltiretire.

Reactions: HabsQC

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
it's really unlikely he is moved for real-life purposes, but for competitive purposes there's a valid argument that moving him keeps the team competitive for a longer period.

However, it all hinges on Landeskogs health. They definitely won't need to if Laneskog can't return.If he is moved though, the Avs would probably want to shed his entire cap and get pure futures, with at least 1 NHL ready ELC.

He's woken up since the trade deadline (thank god), but stats aside, he's been pretty awful/frustrating to watch most of the season. He also was a no-show in one round during their Cup run, so I think in some ways he's overrated. If anyone on the Avs benefits from playing with top players, it's Rantanen.

However, when he IS on (and let's hope we see it more), he's one of the best in the league and he's nearly impossible to contain. Very Jagr-like one minute, Bambi the next.

As for losing Lehkonen as a cap casualty to sign Mikko to a massive deal.. that would make me hesitate. Is it easier to find someone to fill Lehkonen's role? Sure. But Lehky @ 4.5M provides more value to the team than Mikko @ 11M IMO.. too often Mikko's play leaves you wanting more, while Lehkonen's never does. You can't have that too often from a guy making that kind of cash. They are both nearly equal in importance to the team's overall success, albeit in very different ways. I guess it will depend on if Kovalenko could be that guy like a poster mentioned.

All this said, it's probably a moot point and he's an Av for life even if it means the Avs fall out of contention. Just my take on it.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Its lehkonen thats likely traded away to make way someone that plays similar (kovalenko) to get space to pay rantanen. Rantanen is not going anywhere, mack wont let it happen. We also dont have a clear.picture on landy, he might ltiretire.
We better be looking to trade Manson and Colton soon. Those dudes surely ain’t core.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
it's really unlikely he is moved for real-life purposes, but for competitive purposes there's a valid argument that moving him keeps the team competitive for a longer period.

However, it all hinges on Landeskogs health. They definitely won't need to if Laneskog can't return.If he is moved though, the Avs would probably want to shed his entire cap and get pure futures, with at least 1 NHL ready ELC.

He's woken up since the trade deadline (thank god), but stats aside, he's been pretty awful/frustrating to watch most of the season. He also was a no-show in one round during their Cup run, so I think in some ways he's overrated. If anyone on the Avs benefits from playing with top players, it's Rantanen.

However, when he IS on (and let's hope we see it more), he's one of the best in the league and he's nearly impossible to contain. Very Jagr-like one minute, Bambi the next.
I'm sorry but I just don't think we watch the same player. Are we both watching one of the most dominant wingers in the league? Are you saying that trading a top 5 scorer in the league would be a boon for us competitively? These are the sentiments in the Avs board that always frustrate the hell out of me.

How dare a player have any negatives to their game or struggle sometimes. It's always perfect or you gotta discuss how they are a negative to the team.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'm sorry but I just don't think we watch the same player. Are we both watching one of the most dominant wingers in the league? Are you saying that trading a top 5 scorer in the league would be a boon for us competitively? These are the sentiments in the Avs board that always frustrate the hell out of me.

How dare a player have any negatives to their game or struggle sometimes. It's always perfect or you gotta discuss how they are a negative to the team.
I am curious how closely you do watch Mikko. No doubt, numbers-wise and skill level you're right. But 90% of games this year he hasn't been that guy. And people do like to block out the playoff series (against St. Louis, i believe?) out of their collective memory, where he was a no-show.

There is 100% a valid discussion to have for a cap-strapped team that has another big extension in Makar looming if the $11M is best spent on improving the team's depth. You saw what happened last year when the Avs were a one-line team. You saw Bednar say you can't win in this league without depth. You see how successful the Leafs have been with committing so much cap to 4 players.

It's certainly not as an outlandish opinion as you make it out to be.

Either way, guys like Girard, Manson, and Colton are all moved before a guy like Lehkonen. But it'll be interesting to see how competitive we are when these extensions kick in. A lot will ride on Ritchie and Gulayev's ELCs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad