Mikko Rantanen - MOOSE - 96

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
This can't be right?
It is. Part of the problem with literacy rates is there isn’t necessarily a set standard that every country uses to evaluate. Illiterate doesn’t mean can’t read/write, it generally means cannot read/write to X grade level or level of competency.

So in Canada, 17% struggle with the lowest level of literacy assessed but nearly half struggle to read at a ‘high school level’ (which is a meaningless term since high school starts anywhere between grades 8-10 depending on district). At the lowest level, many people can still technically read but would struggle to understand something as simple as the dosage label on a medication.

‘Half of Americans can’t read’ really means half would not pass a proficiency test set to a grade 8 reading level.

Reactions: Murzu

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Just saw what happened. Hope its not concussion. Referees and People saying it was clean hit can f*** off.
I'm betting is it a concussion. Looked to me that Rants was impacted around the neck and under the jaw forcefully and may have hit his head on the boards or on the ice. Concussion susceptibility is really strong when you receive the equivalent of an uppercut to the jaw. Mouth piece or no mouth piece.

Rants could not stand or skate off w/o assistance.

Even a moose loses when he holds his position on the RR tracks and gets blindsided by a freight train.

I'm going to be partisan and say it was a blind side hit (Rants body was perpendicular to the boards with his back turned to Ekholm) and contact was made with Rant's head. That was enough to be a penalty call for me.

No McDermid, no threat of retaliation.

The ref's had already been cowed into submission however.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
giphy.gif

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
Is there another 6'4" player in the league as soft as Mikko? Love our boy but it's tiring spending every game wondering how he'll get knocked to his ass this time. Didn't see last night's game -- hoping for the best, expecting anything but.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Just saw what happened. Hope its not concussion. Referees and People saying it was clean hit can f*** off.

It surely was a concussion and yes, it was a clean hit.

Is there another 6'4" player in the league as soft as Mikko? Love our boy but it's tiring spending every game wondering how he'll get knocked to his ass this time. Didn't see last night's game -- hoping for the best, expecting anything but.

I posted this in the GDT and also in the injury thread, I don't think that Rants is necessarily soft, he's just careless. Most guys hitting him are smaller than him. Last night, he got his clock cleaned twice by one of the few guys on the ice bigger than him.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I can't f***ing believe that we are having some posters saying he's soft after getting blindsided. A new low.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I can't f***ing believe that we are having some posters saying he's soft after getting blindsided. A new low.
Mikko is not soft, he just wasn’t himself. When he’s on his game, he dominates as a big guy and you can’t really hit him. Yesterday he took 2 big hits and he wasn’t really in the game

Reactions: missionAvs

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Mikko is not soft, he just wasn’t himself. When he’s on his game, he dominates as a big guy and you can’t really hit him. Yesterday he took 2 big hits and he wasn’t really in the game
Ya I don't know if it's exhaustion or what but he clearly wasn't engaged enough to protect himself. We're used to him looking like Bambi (always find it funny when opposing announcers talk about how hard it is to knock him down), but I can't recall seeing him get blown up like that once, nevermind twice in one night.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I distinctly remember some games where he played so physical that he was getting penalties for reverse hits. I don't think it's a softness issue. More like balance issue, which used to be a lot worse when he first got to the NHL.

Reactions: Foppberg

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Why wasn't it clean?
It was from the blindside near the boards. The possible concussion will be result of his fall to the ice and hitting his head against it, and it only happened cause he never seen the hit coming. If he saw it, he would position himself to at least mitigate the fall somehow.

I dont care if its ok by the rules. It should not be, strictly by the fact it results in serious injuries. If Mikko is done for the year now, people will now say oh bad luck and similar BS… there was no luck involved, as it was completely preventable.

If this was Toews injuring say Draisaitl, i would have said the same.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Did Mikko even touch the puck? Because I remember Makar getting suspended for a playoff game for blowing a guy up when the puck wasn’t on the players stick.

The hit is really borderline imo.

Watching it live I was pissed that the Avs ended up getting a penalty on the play.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
He got Kronwall'ed. Weak response from JJ who isn't a fighter and the entire team for that matter. This is where we miss Landeskog immensely.

Best hope is it's minor and we rest him until playoffs. He could use the extra rest with his GF with the way he's been playing of late.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad