Mikko Rantanen 10th Overall 2015 NHL Entry Draft l Signed to ELC 7/13/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
not the same situation , you're talking about a number 1 , 2 and 3 pick overall

So? Number 2s and 3s have been assigned to juniors and such before, case Drouin for example. Number 10 isn't that far off from number 3, seriously.

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
not the same situation , you're talking about a number 1 , 2 and 3 pick overall

Getting hung up on draft numbers is quite short-sighted, when there's more recent and more relative information available. Whether Mikko should be playing in NHL or AHL, I'm not really sure though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
IMO he was right on the edge. He could have stayed in the NHL and been fine or he goes down and can be a real difference maker. I still think either way it would have been fine but it's not hurting him now. Also the Avs right now are just not a good situation. Same thing would happen that he'd never see the puck in the O zone, that's not going to help him either. There's a lot of year left and he will be back up IMO. I'd like to see him get some quality NHL time under his belt before next season. But right now he's in a good spot.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Should MacKinnon, Landeskog or Duchene been developing in the AHL then as well? Imho Rantanen is just too good for AHL, but it seems that there just isn't enough top 6 minutes for him in the NHL, so he remains in AHL. At the moment.

This is obvious but.. Those guys are established NHL players.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Rantanen has had 6 games in the NHL now. Remember how impressive was Duchene in his first 6 games? His first goal came in his 8th game, and If I recall correctly, overall he was not that impressive at all really, but the team climate has shifted since those times, hence Rantanen being assigned to AHL.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
I'm starting to wonder if Rantanen might be the future center of the second line. It depends somewhat on what happens going forward though. But I'm not sure they'll break up a 29-9 line.

It will be interesting.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Rantanen has had 6 games in the NHL now. Remember how impressive was Duchene in his first 6 games? His first goal came in his 8th game, and If I recall correctly, overall he was not that impressive at all really, but the team climate has shifted since those times, hence Rantanen being assigned to AHL.
We didn't have the option to send a guy like Duchene to the AHL. It was either the NHL or back to juniors. If they had that option, maybe it would have been different. If Rantanen didn't have the AHL option, he might still be in the NHL.

It's not hurting him to play in the AHL. If anything, it's great for his development. He's playing in all situations and playing a lot. I'm sure he'll be back in the NHL at some point this year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We didn't have the option to send a guy like Duchene to the AHL. It was either the NHL or back to juniors. If they had that option, maybe it would have been different. If Rantanen didn't have the AHL option, he might still be in the NHL.

It's not hurting him to play in the AHL. If anything, it's great for his development. He's playing in all situations and playing a lot. I'm sure he'll be back in the NHL at some point this year.

I want him to be learning to do that in the NHL, this year is a wash, he might as well get some experience doing it under less pressure at a higher level getting familiar with the rest of the core.

That means Roy is willing to focus on development first at the NHL level though, so I seriously doubt I get my wish.

You are right, but I want to be right lol.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I want him to be learning to do that in the NHL, this year is a wash, he might as well get some experience doing it under less pressure at a higher level getting familiar with the rest of the core.

That means Roy is willing to focus on development first at the NHL level though, so I seriously doubt I get my wish.

You are right, but I want to be right lol.
Very few NHL coaches are going to play a teenager regularly on the PK.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Very few NHL coaches are going to play a teenager regularly on the PK.

Yeah

Can't be much worse than it is now, almost literally unless the teenager plays like he does not give two *****.

As I said, my wishes rest on a very unlikely scenario anyways. Can't stop screaming it though. :D

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I've been to Rockford once, is there a good part of town?

It's not exactly my home town (10 minutes North) but I played hockey growing up in Rockford. There is a nice part to Rockford with a lot of business, but the BMO Harris Bank Center (now called that) is on the brink of the not good part.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
NHL club the Colorado Avalanche striker Mikko Rantanen will play U20 World Cup on home ground at the end of the year. According to the records to the newspaper Ilta-Sanomat.

According to the information he will get to the championship if he is not named from the AHL to the NHL club before then. Right now he is a key player in the team San Antonio Rampage. Where he has 14 points in twelve games.

Last winter was 19-year-old Rantanen one of Finland's best players in the U20 World Cup. Then he made four goals in five games.

In Finland, represented Rantanen Ã…boklubben TPS.

http://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2015/11/29/rantanen-kommer-till-junior-vm

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Practically that's a Finnish tabloid making a "newspiece" stating that Rantanen will play in the WJC if he is not recalled before. It's all there is.

In other words, by no means a final confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad