Kings News: Mikey Anderson contract extension (1 year, $1 mil AAV)

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I mean he's worth less than Mikey long-term, but given that he's older, he's a RHD, and produces more offense, I think KingsFan7824 above was spot on with the $2M estimate.
2 for 3 years would be ok.

Anything over 1.5, I'd be tempted to trade him for a 3C or established top 4D. Not a lot of extra cap right now for pieces like Durzi. Maybe an injury will open a spot up.

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

Anything over 1.5, I'd be tempted to trade him for a 3C or established top 4D. Not a lot of extra cap right now for pieces like Durzi. Maybe an injury will open a spot up.
Agreed. I’d prefer trading Durzi to improve on the back end assuming Walker can’t be moved. Spence has basically proven he will be a more than capable replacement as 2nd or 3rd pair puck moving defenseman.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

A 3c? So what would you do with Byfield?

If you trade Durzi he’d be packaged up I expect, on his own his value is limited. You’d probably include him in a deal for a LHD but I doubt much happens on trades from now until training camp is done as that’ll show who they want to move. If prospects are pushing hard a more established player may move. It’s an interesting time coming up, some interesting and potentially tough decisions to be made.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don’t want to trade Durzi. I want him to be our 3rd-pairing defenseman for a long time. I think he’d be great in a 2014 Alec Martinez role. I’d rather trade Walker or Roy and play one of Spence, Durzi, or Clarke on their off-side.

Anderson - Doughty
Spence - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Wow. I would have thought the AAV would have been higher. I also think it's a make it up to him later contract.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t want to trade Durzi. I want him to be our 3rd-pairing defenseman for a long time. I think he’d be great in a 2014 Alec Martinez role. I’d rather trade Walker or Roy and play one of Spence, Durzi, or Clarke on their off-side.

Anderson - Doughty
Spence - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi
You can’t play Spence and Clarke together, they are both primarily offensive guys. I think there’s little chance that all three of Clarke, Spence and Durzi play together regularly. Durzi’s
main selling point is his intangibles and if we need those badly enough to play him ahead of Spence and Clarke we are in trouble regardless. He needs to be much better defensively and his offence was not ‘that’ good. He had what? 12 ES points in 64 games. Its not awful but it’s not enough to be a lock IMO. I would be happier with a 1 yr deal to be sure he can take another step.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Had to bump this thread. I've barely been in touch with and/or connected to one side of my family for a long time. But me and my sisters started looking recently and just found out last week that Mikey Anderson is our cousin.

Cousin once removed, if you want to get technical (children of our cousin). Regardless, pretty stoked to just find out that I have family playing in the NHL. And his brother Joey as well, though he's probably staying with the Marlies this year. Still, having two cousins play in the league at any point wasn't even vaguely what I was thinking of a week ago.

Kings fan now.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
My guestimate is Mikey gets 4 Mil per on this next contract, for 4 to 6 years. What do you guestimate?
Somewhere around $2-3 million per year? He's a bottom-pairing stay-at-home defender with little offensive ability masquerading as a top pairing D. Not the kind of player you break the bank for, but weirder things have happened. He does seem to be trying to activate more often this season, but it's still not very productive. Decent player put in a bigger role; doing okay, but not exactly blowing the doors off.

He doesn't have a whole lot of leverage as it comes to contract negotiations, so he should be ecstatic to get an offer of 4x4. Same reason why he signed for $1 million this season. As an RFA, you take what you can get.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Somewhere around $2-3 million per year? He's a bottom-pairing stay-at-home defender with little offensive ability masquerading as a top pairing D. Not the kind of player you break the bank for, but weirder things have happened. He does seem to be trying to activate more often this season, but it's still not very productive. Decent player put in a bigger role; doing okay, but not exactly blowing the doors off.

He doesn't have a whole lot of leverage as it comes to contract negotiations, so he should be ecstatic to get an offer of 4x4. Same reason why he signed for $1 million this season. As an RFA, you take what you can get.
Rob Scuderi was making $3.4 million as Doughty's partner with similar production 10 years ago.

Yes, I know, RFA vs UFA, but he will start having UFA years lost

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

He'll get close to $4M I'm sure. Yeah, not a point scorer, but he's been consistently above 50% in CF%, Dangerous chance%, and GF% since he's settled in and that's against top competition. Last year he had a better goals for percentage than both Spence and Durzi - and that was with Doughty out for most of the season and going against the other team's first lines most of the time. He was also on the ice for more goals scored for by the Kings than Durzi last year, despite playing 7 fewer games.

He's not flashy but he controls things, limits dangerous chances, hits, and can handle top assignments.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Rob Scuderi was making $3.4 million as Doughty's partner with similar production 10 years ago.

Yes, I know, RFA vs UFA, but he will start having UFA years lost

He also was coming off a cup win, and moving to one of the worst teams in the league.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
There's no way his agent is going to let it slide that he is anything other than at minimum a stopgap top pairing D-man, especially after the sweetheart deal. My guess is $4 million +/- $500k. It is hard to argue with as he has been on the top pairing for like 2+ seasons. We all know that he wouldn't be on most other teams, but that is not how the Kings are using him. In the end, the kid has kept up with the strongest lines in the NHL and has been an even/plus player every year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's no way his agent is going to let it slide that he is anything other than at minimum a stopgap top pairing D-man, especially after the sweetheart deal. My guess is $4 million +/- $500k. It is hard to argue with as he has been on the top pairing for like 2+ seasons. We all know that he wouldn't be on most other teams, but that is not how the Kings are using him. In the end, the kid has kept up with the strongest lines in the NHL and has been an even/plus player every year.

Kind of disagree really, I think he's a Muzzin-style #2-#3 where the pairing he is on is about who the partner is rather than actual ability. There are a lot of teams where he could be on the top pairing on ability alone but their #1 is an LHD or other setup. Imagine mikey playing 17-18 minutes on a 2nd pairing instead of 20-22+ on the top. kid is a monster and he gets a little underrated here. Maybe splitting hairs though because agreed on the ultimate point of contract.

Reactions: Fishhead and Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kind of disagree really, I think he's a Muzzin-style #2-#3 where the pairing he is on is about who the partner is rather than actual ability. There are a lot of teams where he could be on the top pairing on ability alone but their #1 is an LHD or other setup. Imagine mikey playing 17-18 minutes on a 2nd pairing instead of 20-22+ on the top. kid is a monster and he gets a little underrated here. Maybe splitting hairs though because agreed on the ultimate point of contract.
That's fair. He is a weird case. I think most everyone was hoping for more offense from him and not expecting him to be mostly a shutdown guy, especially given his size, but it is hard to argue with his body of work. He has been a quiet #2, used as a #2 this whole time, and has kept the puck out of the net for the most part, at least better than just about any of our other young players could hope for.

He is definitely underrated, but it is hard to shake the feeling he would be at most a 3-4 guy on a vast majority of teams in the league, but his numbers and play definitely say otherwise. Mikey will definitely command a lot more at the negotiation table next time around and excuses of cap space aren't going to work again.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Depends on years really. 6 years at $3.75–4.25 million seems reasonable. That's $20+ million guaranteed for Anderson, which is a pretty good deal.

Reactions: Lt Dan and Telos

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Had to bump this thread. I've barely been in touch with and/or connected to one side of my family for a long time. But me and my sisters started looking recently and just found out last week that Mikey Anderson is our cousin.

Cousin once removed, if you want to get technical (children of our cousin). Regardless, pretty stoked to just find out that I have family playing in the NHL. And his brother Joey as well, though he's probably staying with the Marlies this year. Still, having two cousins play in the league at any point wasn't even vaguely what I was thinking of a week ago.

Kings fan now.
Welcome aboard! You will fit in well as an alcoholic
What is your drink of choice my friend?

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I've been Mikeys biggest critic but he has proven to me that he has become an elite shutdown d man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad