Kings News: Mikey Anderson contract extension (1 year, $1 mil AAV)

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Love this deal. So happy Blake didn’t overpay here. If the Kings win a cup and Anderson looks like Scuderi, then fine. But you can’t hand out money because Drew Doughty tells the marketing department how much he likes playing with Mikey.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings will have roughly $10M in cap space available with expiring contracts next year (Quick, Moore, Lemieux, Edler), and will likely have more cap space available when the cap goes up next summer.

Moore will be the biggest name to re-sign, and I imagine if Quick decides to continue playing, he'll be back on a cheap one-year contract. Mikey Anderson will also be the biggest name to become a RFA next summer, so I'm sure Blake communicated to him that he'll be due for a significant increase in salary next year, especially given his role and importance to the team.

Now to get Durzi signed, who should not be earning any more than Anderson.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know we may not have the cap space, but I think it would have been better to overpay for a longer team deal.

Yeah, exactly.

On one hand, wow, 1x1...Rob Blake is dabbling in the dark arts. What a f***ing wizard.

On the other hand...that's borrowing from the future if Anderson is who we think he is. Plus, he'll be Mike instead of Mikey by the next contract. That's gonna cost.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Seems cool that all the players are buying in. No egos with contract demands and it must be a tight knit group that likes playing with each other while being in LA.
Everyone signed nice deals the last couple years from Kempe, Fiala, and Danault all the way down to Lemieux, Anderson and the prospects signing for 750k.
Blake is doing really well in some areas running the team and must give credit to him.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Yeah, exactly.

On one hand, wow, 1x1...Rob Blake is dabbling in the dark arts. What a f***ing wizard.

On the other hand...that's borrowing from the future if Anderson is who we think he is. Plus, he'll be Mike instead of Mikey by the next contract. That's gonna cost.
As long as he isn't Michael before next off season, I think the Kings can afford him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Either point production really matters when it comes to AAV or Blake really ground his agent on this one. Glad he’s still under team control either way at the end.

A solid rule of thumb I once heard and it stuck with me is, $1m for every 10pts scored. Last couple years, 19pts in 111GP comes out to 14pts per 82 games. So, $1m in this contract isn't outlandish.

There's always context and leverage. Age, how close they are to being a UFA, if they are a UFA, are you desperate, is the player desperate, etc.

Durzi, smaller sample size, but has more career points than Anderson, in almost half the number of GP. He'll probably get more. If he's at $2m, that might be a bargain.

Reactions: BringTheReign

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
A solid rule of thumb I once heard and it stuck with me is, $1m for every 10pts scored. Last couple years, 19pts in 111GP comes out to 14pts per 82 games. So, $1m in this contract isn't outlandish.

There's always context and leverage. Age, how close they are to being a UFA, if they are a UFA, are you desperate, is the player desperate, etc.

Durzi, smaller sample size, but has more career points than Anderson, in almost half the number of GP. He'll probably get more. If he's at $2m, that might be a bargain.

solid deal for sure. Durzi is probably looking for term and more dollars which just arent there. Could see the same thing happen with him as camp approaches.

Reactions: Lt Dan

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Great deal for this season. To be honest I'm not sure how much more he could command when he's up for his extension. He's a stay at home defenseman who's not going to put a lot of points throughout the remainder of his career. He's obviously insanely valuable to the defense, but is going to get more than Roy at 3.1? I don't know.

In Durzi's case, If I was him I would ask for more based on the impact that he had. The issue with him is that he's expendable with Walker coming back, Spence showing he belongs, Clarke waiting in the wings and Grans progressing well. I think Blake will wait it out with Durzi simply because we have options.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
So, when can Blake sign 44 to a new contract? There has to be an unwritten agreement that Mikey will be signed for a significant increase going forward.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
The Kings will have roughly $10M in cap space available with expiring contracts next year (Quick, Moore, Lemieux, Edler), and will likely have more cap space available when the cap goes up next summer.

Moore will be the biggest name to re-sign, and I imagine if Quick decides to continue playing, he'll be back on a cheap one-year contract. Mikey Anderson will also be the biggest name to become a RFA next summer, so I'm sure Blake communicated to him that he'll be due for a significant increase in salary next year, especially given his role and importance to the team.

Now to get Durzi signed, who should not be earning any more than Anderson.
This. We'll be gaining significant space next year. And the year after that, Kopi's 10M comes off the books. Both Quick and Kopi may re-sign, but on much cheaper, short contracts. We'll have significant space to either sign our young players or do more Fiala-like deals.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This is a pretty amazing deal to be honest and a big goodwill commitment from Anderson to sacrifice a little for the team for likely future considerations...

It puts Durzi in an impossibly tough place to either take a similar deal or walk and end up trade fodder because his offensive spark last season doesn't mean he gets paid more than a younger, more proven defenseman on the top pairing. Obviously his offense looked amazing at first but his all around game showed more cracks as the season went on and he has no guaranteesld spot with the logjam.

It will be interesting to see what deal Anderson gets next for the favor as this signing solves essentially all their cap woes for the year.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It puts Durzi in an impossibly tough place to either take a similar deal or walk and end up trade fodder
What do you think Durzi is worth? Sounds like the Kings still have 3-mil to possibly to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad