Rumor: Mike Smith Trade Rumor from Kypreos

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
NMC is done. It's just NTC now, though I don't know how many teams it covers.

I'd move Smith but I wouldn't give him away. This guy was our MVP last year and I'd only move him if we had an upgrade replacement lined up, particularly a younger goalie.

There's no replacement in the system right now. So the assumption would have to be they go get someone.

I don't have a problem with moving Smith either, but don't see any urgency to move him in a bad deal.

I agree. Many good unproven young goalies that maybe could be had for very little.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Really curious to see what happens with Pitts, If Fleury decides he doesn't want to waive there could be a Vancouver situation when they wanted to get rid of Luongo but ended up moving Schneider instead. Might be a chance Matt Murray becomes available.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
In that case I think they'd buy out Fleury rather than give up Murray.

Maybe.. but I have doubts that many teams would lose a top 20 (or better) goalie in the league for nothing, at least they'd be able to get something good for Murray to help them while they are still a contender.

Also a Fleury buy-out would likely be almost 2 mill/year.. which means they'd actually save barely any cap by keeping Fleury or keeping Murray

Fleury= 5.75 mill
Murray + Buy-out= 5.6ish mill?

Just a spit ball for potential outcomes of course with thinking Murray might become available, but I can't think Pitts would want to resort to buying-out Fleury

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's Sunday and I'm bored.

Running with Smith talk.

Smith 50 percent retained
Duclair
Calgarys 3rd round pick (Stone trade)
Detroit 3rd rounder. (Previously acquired)

For
Sam Bennett
Brouwer (assuming they need to shed contract)

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
It's Sunday and I'm bored.

Running with Smith talk.

Smith 50 percent retained
Duclair
Calgarys 3rd round pick (Stone trade)
Detroit 3rd rounder. (Previously acquired)

For
Sam Bennett
Brouwer (assuming they need to shed contract)

If they are in need, that situation seems like a lot. Plus, I'd rather see that clown playing here, than being paid 50% by Coyotes to play elsewhere.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Bennett going to be a center or a winger? He doesn't take many face offs and he loses most of them. If he's going to be a winger, is he going to be a better winger than Duclair? At least Duke already has chemistry with Domi, even though our pathetic excuse for a head coach is too incompetent and pig headed to admit that and run with it. I'm not sure I see Duclair for Bennett as a slam dunk. It's more of a coin-toss, all things considered.

As for Smith and Brouwer, why take on more salary? Brouwer is owed 13.5m to Smith's 11m. That's a lot for a right shooting version of Jamie McGinn. What's the point? At least Smith will be UFA in just two seasons, rather than three.

Then we just give up two third rounders? I strongly dislike Smith. The sooner he's gone, the easier it will be to cheer for this team. He's definitely an organizational black eye, and I find him very embarrassing. That said, not sure I want to take on extra cash commitment(Brouwer), **** off Domi(Duclair), and dump a couple of 3rds in the process.

EDIT: Really? "****" gets censored? So I can say "Gotta take a whizz" or "take a leak" but "take a ****" is just too far?

rt

May 13, 2004
If they are in need, that situation seems like a lot. Plus, I'd rather see that clown playing here, than being paid 50% by Coyotes to play elsewhere.

Holy crap!?!? I missed the 50% retention. Hell no! Take out 3rds out and add Calgary's first and I'd START to consider that. Why would we blow many millions of dollars just to go from Duke to Bennett? What's the point?

rt

May 13, 2004
There was some talk of Bennett wanting out and I recall there may have been some interest in Duclair at some point.

If they're willing to take Smith off our hands, I'd be willing to trade them Duclair for Bennett if their guy really wants out. But I'm not giving them any money, and I'm not taking Brouwer off their hands.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sam Bennett has yet to put it together. You're trading for him based of pedigree at this point. Hard pass on anything of value going to Calgary.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sam Bennett has yet to put it together. You're trading for him based of pedigree at this point. Hard pass on anything of value going to Calgary.

If Duclair wants out(and he really, REALLY should want out because Tippett is a ****ing nightmare) and if Bennett wants out, this is a pretty even swap. Duclair had been more effective for longer stretches at the NHL level. Higher peaks and lower valleys. He's also a year older. Calgary could certainly do worse if Bennett had actually asked for a fresh start. I expect hockey fans would say Calagary got hosed based on Duclair's tough season, and Bennett's lofty draft position. But I don't think they're that far apart in value to each club.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If Duclair wants out(and he really, REALLY should want out because Tippett is a ****ing nightmare) and if Bennett wants out, this is a pretty even swap. Duclair had been more effective for longer stretches at the NHL level. Higher peaks and lower valleys. He's also a year older. Calgary could certainly do worse if Bennett had actually asked for a fresh start. I expect hockey fans would say Calagary got hosed based on Duclair's tough season, and Bennett's lofty draft position. But I don't think they're that far apart in value to each club.

That seems fair to me. We might need to throw in a mid round pick.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That seems fair to me. We might need to throw in a mid round pick.

I like Duclair but I think Benett will end up the better player. Not sure if I do this deal or not.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I don't like the optics of giving up on Duclair (especially with needing to keep Domi happy) after treating him so badly. They need to fix the relationship, not trade him away and continue to enable the *******(s) that made it that way. It's not about the player at that point.

It's a fun enough gamble if it comes to that, but I really would be more mad about how it came to fruition if it happened than the value involved.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't like the optics of giving up on Duclair (especially with needing to keep Domi happy) after treating him so badly. They need to fix the relationship, not trade him away and continue to enable the *******(s) that made it that way. It's not about the player at that point.

It's a fun enough gamble if it comes to that, but I really would be more mad about how it came to fruition if it happened than the value involved.

Duclair >>>>>> Tippett - no question about that.

The young boys club have their facts wrong. :shakehead

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Bennett is probably a better bet to survive Tippett. Better two-way guy. Some sandpaper. I doubt you would get any Calgary fans excited.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The collective obsession with Duclair still surprises me. He remains a promising offensive player, but the fact that he could only produce with Domi is more damning of him than of Tippett, who likely would have paired them together more had Domi not missed nearly two months with an injury anyway. It's also worth mentioning that Duclair's CF% was identical with and without Domi. His individual shot generation was steady all year and better than last year, as well (5.4 shots per 60 minutes this year versus 4.47 last year).

There is more to developing players than just putting them in the cushiest situation. Even with a scoring wing, you want him to broaden his toolset. The fact that Tippett was able to put Duclair in a variety of roles while maintaining decent shot production is a good sign for Duclair's future. There are only so many sheltered minutes available, and as the Coyotes continue to onboard young players, guys like Duclair need to transition to tougher situations.

rt

May 13, 2004
Bennett is probably a better bet to survive Tippett. Better two-way guy. Some sandpaper. I doubt you would get any Calgary fans excited.

Both points are right on the money. Neither means that either prospect is clearly above the other and it's still true that if Bennett actually wants out, Duclair would be a hell of a get for the Flames (despite the inevitable moaning of fans on the Internet).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I could see Don pushing for Duclair (not for Bennett, per se), just to rehab him and vindicate himself. An extra middle finger for Dr. Development.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I wonder if Calgary would give up the 16th overall in a package that includes Mike Smith?
But I sense he will end up in Philly (mostly because of Hextall), perhaps for (one year of) Read. I don't see the 'Yotes taking a goalie back.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why in the world would they give up #16? We'll take back a contract to even out the money and a midround pick. Goalies aren't worth much on the trade market. Particularly 35 yr old, overpaid ones, with a history of inconsistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad