Rumor: Mike Smith Trade Rumor from Kypreos

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd be really surprised if we got a useful asset for Smitty. But if it happens, so be it.

Go after Anders Nillson in the offseason and he and Louie should be an okay goaltending platoon for a season or two.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd be really surprised if we got a useful asset for Smitty. But if it happens, so be it.

Go after Anders Nillson in the offseason and he and Louie should be an okay goaltending platoon for a season or two.

Kyperos said we want to get younger. I wonder if they look at Grubauer.

What's going to be interesting to follow on Smith is the status of Jon Elkin. His contract expired at the end of last season and if he isn't re-signed, draw your own conclusions about Smitty's future in Arizona.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

What at's going to be interesting to follow on Smith is the status of Jon Elkin. His contract expired at the end of last season and if he isn't re-signed, draw your own conclusions about Smitty's future in Arizona.

Nilsson just turned 27. He's not old, and he's only a couple of years older than Grubauer.

More importantly, obtaining Nilsson would not cost us an asset.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Put those two sentences on different lines. Didn't mean to connect then.

I don't mind Nilsson but personally I'm not a fan of tandems. If we were to go down that route, I think Darcy Kuemper has more to offer than how he did this season. Good puck player too.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Trade for Stepan AND Raanta.

Gorton isn't a dumbass and he's not desperate. As bad as Girardi and Staal are, the team still manages to win enough that they're not an embarrassment. I doubt the Rangers will be cowed into giving away Stepan for something cheap and reasonable. I think there's a great chance the Oilers would dump RNH for something acceptable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kypreos saying Smith is out there on the trade market. I love it.

Interesting. Not sure if the Coyotes are serious in trading him, but he is not considered a core piece for the future.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What's going to be interesting to follow on Smith is the status of Jon Elkin. His contract expired at the end of last season and if he isn't re-signed, draw your own conclusions about Smitty's future in Arizona.

Does Kyperos know we are in a rebuild? If Doan doesn't sign our average age goes way down and with adding more kids this year we should be one of the youngest teams in the league.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. Not sure if the Coyotes are serious in trading him, but he is not considered a core piece for the future.

To hit cap floor we could eat a significant portion of contract. That being said don't expect a huge return. Goalie market is at an all time low.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nilsson just turned 27. He's not old, and he's only a couple of years older than Grubauer.

More importantly, obtaining Nilsson would not cost us an asset.

There are a few good young goalies that may be available for very little. I would not sign Nilsson, rather promote Langhamer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To hit cap floor we could eat a significant portion of contract. That being said don't expect a huge return. Goalie market is at an all time low.

I agree, but that might work in our favor if we are looking to get younger in net.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With or without retention, very curious to see what moves we'd make to hit the floor with Smith's money gone. His replacement would likely cost ~$2M but that's just a start. We'd still need to add another ~$8-10M.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd love it I'd they dumped Smith. Who could possibly want him? He's sometimes great, sometimes awful, usually an ******* and mostly embarrassing.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Calgary. Need a short-term starter. The Treliving/Maloney factor. They don't even have a goalie to protect in expansion - both Elliott and Johnson are UFAs. They're exposing G Thomas McCollum.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Calgary. Need a short-term starter. The Treliving/Maloney factor. They don't even have a goalie to protect in expansion - both Elliott and Johnson are UFAs. They're exposing G Thomas McCollum.

Yeah Calgary radio always talking about the need for goaltending ... Smiths name comes up suprisingly often. They are torn on Elliot , and not wanting to give up that 3rd to St Louis . Plus the fans really wont forgive him for the playoffs.

They had mentioned also Marc A F. And were hot on Bisshop.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would you do Smith for Troy Brouwer?

I like Brouwer but he hasn't worked out in Calgary. Contract has 3 years left compared to Smith's 2. But it's not like we couldn't use a veteran and a RW.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kypreos saying Smith is out there on the trade market. I love it.

I wonder if Smith has requested a trade and is willing to wave his NMC/NTC in order to facilitate a move. It would make him easier to trade.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
NMC is done. It's just NTC now, though I don't know how many teams it covers.

I'd move Smith but I wouldn't give him away. This guy was our MVP last year and I'd only move him if we had an upgrade replacement lined up, particularly a younger goalie.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There's no replacement in the system right now. So the assumption would have to be they go get someone.

I don't have a problem with moving Smith either, but don't see any urgency to move him in a bad deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad