Mike Ribeiro (Signs a 2-year Deal $3.5 Mil Cap)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There wouldn't be a jury verdict in a civil case; the presiding judge makes that call. But yeah - I've never been in such a situation, but I've watched others go through it and it really, really sucks.

I'm sorry but you are mistaken. There are juries in civil cases. They don't have to be unanimous either.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm sorry but you are mistaken. There are juries in civil cases. They don't have to be unanimous either.
I'm a complete novice when it comes to the legal system, but what kind of cases are people reporting for jury duty there for? I always assumed most were small civil ones.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You can have a jury for a civil trial, but I believe in civil cases the defendant gets his choice of jury or judge. Small claims may be judge only though.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm a complete novice when it comes to the legal system, but what kind of cases are people reporting for jury duty there for? I always assumed most were small civil ones.

A civil case will be viewed by a jury just as a criminal case will be. EXCEPT when, like this one, a case goes to mediation.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
You can have a jury for a civil trial, but I believe in civil cases the defendant gets his choice of jury or judge. Small claims may be judge only though.

Judges are always going to be allowed to give his or her opinion, and can always overturn a jury verdict. Small claims will not need a jury, no, but this wasn't small claims. Still, the judge rules this Court.

People who are wholly unfamiliar with legal proceedings will pretend like this was settled because of an admission of guilt. And they get to continue being wholly uninformed.

What is telling is Ribeiro has not been even charged with a crime.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
A civil case will be viewed by a jury just as a criminal case will be. EXCEPT when, like this one, a case goes to mediation.

I don't think that's true. A civil case can be decided by a judge alone when both parties waive their right to a jury trial, which happens fairly often I think.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I don't think that's true. A civil case can be decided by a judge alone when both parties waive their right to a jury trial, which happens fairly often I think.

It absolutely can be decided simply by a judge, but it tends to not be. It depends on several things.

I worded that improperly.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't think we have to worry about the Ribeiro civil case getting any national attention during the season anymore...

As much as I hate the Hawks, their fans, that stupid city and Kane, I really hope he didn't do what the rumors are. He is kind of one of the faces of the NHL. It would hurt our brand nationally. If he is guilty, however, the Preds are going to become a true player in this tough as nails division.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I don't think we have to worry about the Ribeiro civil case getting any national attention during the season anymore...

As much as I hate the Hawks, their fans, that stupid city and Kane, I really hope he didn't do what the rumors are. He is kind of one of the faces of the NHL. It would hurt our brand nationally. If he is guilty, however, the Preds are going to become a true player in this tough as nails division.

And I'll be waiting on Puck Daddy calling the Blackhawks organization's integrity into question for employing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad