Mike Ribeiro (Signs a 2-year Deal $3.5 Mil Cap)

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Is it me or do you get frustrated when Poile takes that "we'll wait until the off-season to negotiate." The infamous "Suter-Whisperer" needs to not think that's Ribs will be an easy catch for him if he ends up with 80 points.

He was low and needy coming into this season. He'll be high and mighty this offseason. Why wait? You're apt to get better terms now than at the end of the year.

Just sign the man.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Is it me or do you get frustrated when Poile takes that "we'll wait until the off-season to negotiate." The infamous "Suter-Whisperer" needs to not think that's Ribs will be an easy catch for him if he ends up with 80 points.

He was low and needy coming into this season. He'll be high and mighty this offseason. Why wait? You're apt to get better terms now than at the end of the year.

Just sign the man.

I hate to say it but the question on if he stays or goes probably has more to do with his family liking it here or not more than anything else. Time will tell but my money is he will stay as Nashville is a great city with a lot of great people. I'm sure his family is loving it here.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Just sign the man.

Just like the Suter situation, you are again assuming that Ribs is ready to sign now. As much as we would like to keep him and hope he will give us a good deal to stay, at his age, he's probably only going to get one more good contract, so can you blame him for not just running to Poile and saying "sign me up"? I expect that as much as money the issue will be years. Ribs probably knows he could get a 4 or 5 year deal from a desperate team in free agency, whereas if I had to guess I would think poile wouldn't want to give him more than 3 years and would probably prefer two.

And remember, Poile is going to be opening the checkbook for both Wilson and Smith, and making a deal with Fisher.

its not as simple as "pay the man"

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Ribero is still getting buyout money from Arizona. If what we offer plus his buyout money gets him what he thinks he's worth then I don't think we'll have a problem resigning him. His family will be the biggest factor though. If they are happy in Nashville then he won't want to go anywhere and will work out a deal.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
How is that buy out money a factor at all? He gets that money no matter what team he signs with. We shouldnt look at that as any kind of bargaining chip. It will be about his family situation and the fairness of the deal. I don't think we should even think about price pressure. We had all kinds of space under the cap, and that is likely going to just increase as the cap goes higher. Related: I miss capgeek.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
2 years 4.5 per for Ribiero, atleast that's what I'd start out with. I'm guessing him and his agent (if he has one) will shoot for 5 mil plus

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
2 years 4.5 per for Ribiero, atleast that's what I'd start out with. I'm guessing him and his agent (if he has one) will shoot for 5 mil plus

With the year hes having Ribs could almost certainly get 4yr x 5million this summer. If you dont think so look at some of the deals given out these last two summers

Thank goodness we dodged that Horton contract.

Look at what Bolland got. 5x5.5

i too hope Ribs wants to stay and is reasonable but I dont expect him to settle for any less than 3 years at 5 million. If he wants 4 years id hope hed accept a declining deal starting at 6 declining to 3 with a total of about 18 million

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
How is that buy out money a factor at all? He gets that money no matter what team he signs with. We shouldnt look at that as any kind of bargaining chip. It will be about his family situation and the fairness of the deal. I don't think we should even think about price pressure. We had all kinds of space under the cap, and that is likely going to just increase as the cap goes higher. Related: I miss capgeek.

Okay, I will admit I live under a rock on some things but what the colorful metaphor happened to capgeek?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
With the year hes having Ribs could almost certainly get 4yr x 5million this summer. If you dont think so look at some of the deals given out these last two summers

Thank goodness we dodged that Horton contract.

Look at what Bolland got. 5x5.5

i too hope Ribs wants to stay and is reasonable but I dont expect him to settle for any less than 2 years at 5 million. If he wants 4 years id hope hed accept a declining deal starting at 6 declining to 3 with a total of about 18 million

I think there will always be questions about his personal life/character. Obviously they seem to be somewhat overblown from what I've seen from him on a regular basis on the ice. But it often takes a while for players to shake a stigma. I don't think he gets an offer more than 2-3 years from any team other than the Preds.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
The owner of the site got really sick and the site shut down. If any other specifics have come out, I haven't seen them.

Yep, that's all I have seen as well. Sad that he wasnt able to get someone else up to speed on how to operate the site and contacts.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Did anyone see what the reason was for Ribeiro being thrown out of the last game? If it's been mentioned I missed it.

van22

May 25, 2014
He comes from a very dark place (it's not even a year - he pinpoints May as the turning point) and he says himself for now it's one day at a time. He seems to have found stability here and I don't see him risking that for a more lucrative deal elsewhere.

I didn't hear him on Sportsnight referenced in the OP's article but he did a few interviews/talk-shows when the team played in Montreal and all seems to indicate that he is happy in Nashville (family, team support, coaching) - see RDS and TVA Sports for the clips in french.

On one of them (l'antichambre on RDS), he said that there's no pressure to get a deal done. He has no doubt that the team will want to resign him and that they know that his first choice is to stay (he was very clear about that when he signed last summer).

Another thing he said is that he is taking better care of himself and hopes to play a couple more years.

Given those interviews in Montreal, my take was that he sees Nashville as a great fit for his career and family life and I can't see him going after money over environment. I also didn't get the sense that he wants an unreasonable long-term deal.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
He comes from a very dark place (it's not even a year - he pinpoints May as the turning point) and he says himself for now it's one day at a time. He seems to have found stability here and I don't see him risking that for a more lucrative deal elsewhere.

I didn't hear him on Sportsnight referenced in the OP's article but he did a few interviews/talk-shows when the team played in Montreal and all seems to indicate that he is happy in Nashville (family, team support, coaching) - see RDS and TVA Sports for the clips in french.

On one of them (l'antichambre on RDS), he said that there's no pressure to get a deal done. He has no doubt that the team will want to resign him and that they know that his first choice is to stay (he was very clear about that when he signed last summer).

Another thing he said is that he is taking better care of himself and hopes to play a couple more years.

Given those interviews in Montreal, my take was that he sees Nashville as a great fit for his career and family life and I can't see him going after money over environment. I also didn't get the sense that he wants an unreasonable long-term deal.

That's awesome info and reference material!

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I have a friend who works close to Poile in the Pred's head office. He says that Poile has had preliminary talks with Ribby, and that Ribby is only asking for like 2.5 million for 4 years. Ribeiro feels like the buyout money contributes somewhat to his salary now, and he would rather have term at this point.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I have a friend who works close to Poile in the Pred's head office. He says that Poile has had preliminary talks with Ribby, and that Ribby is only asking for like 2.5 million for 4 years. Ribeiro feels like the buyout money contributes somewhat to his salary now, and he would rather have term at this point.

I mean... Wow. That would be a win for the Preds if he managed to play 1-2 more effective years easily.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I understand why Poile is hesitant ... Fiala, Kamanev, etc SHOULD be ready before then

He forked out 2.5 for the jokester. Those guys are pieces to the pie. You make the assets work for you. I could see transitioning Ribiero to the wing if we ever got a true top line center, but his playmaking ability is just top notch.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
He forked out 2.5 for the jokester. Those guys are pieces to the pie. You make the assets work for you. I could see transitioning Ribiero to the wing if we ever got a true top line center, but his playmaking ability is just top notch.

Fair enough ... if he takes that discount, I'd love to see some protection for him in the form of Milan Lucic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad