Pre-Game Talk: Mike Modano's number to be retired March 8th

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
finally got to watch the ceremony. first class. love what galardi has done for this organization.

was great to see the greatness of modano's career memorialized and celebrated.

i know this might be unpopular, but.. something really struck me about his speech. i've always thought that as far as a 'superstar' goes, he was on the lower rungs of it. never seemed to have that inner fight/ determination of the all time greats.

i think he basically showed that in his speech. there were many references to either hitch or tippet or wilson 'pushing' him. not a, 'they inspired me to dig down and push myself harder, max out.' no, his entire career he needed pushed. another thread asked why he was stripped of the C in favor of morrow, and i think that this is partially why. i realize not every human is cut of the william wallace cloth, i sometimes wish he was though. so incredibly talented. i think he could have been even more amazing.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Oh man I totally guessed wrong on what that was last night, I thought Mo was going to get his statue in front of the AAC, plus when I saw the hands up I thought he was going to be holding the cup.

love the thought of that. with all he meant to this org and hockey in dallas, he really should have a statue in victory plaza.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
As a Sharks fan, Modano was a thorn in the side, but man he was so fun to watch. He was one of my favorite players growing up, and I watched that ceremony today and it was absolutely incredible. I'm actually still thinking about it, (And I watched the Lidstrom ceremony and thought Dallas did it better) and just everything about it was just a great great show. Just wanted to come in here and say that, and also I'm still thinking about how it started and the Nothing Else Matters on strings and it was just hauntingly beautiful, just like Modano's game.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I can't stand the fact that I was there but wasn't able to meet you guys. I couldn't get any service with my phone whatsoever to come on here or check Twitter or anything. Apologies fellas.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
That tribute video was something else.

I might have watched it 10 times now since HWC put it up earlier today. :laugh:

Chills everytime.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1661198_605812236171316_1955073996_n.jpg

One of the highlights of the green carpet was Brett Hull. He signed pretty much everything put in front of him. I nudged his wife and asked if she could take our picture and that we're from Newfoundland. So she tells Brett to get in the shot, saying "they came all the way from Newfoundland!"

Brett answers "Oh you're from Newfoundland? You poor ********." hahahaha. He signed a puck for my brother and even inscribed HHOF 2009 which was pretty cool.

If I had known the players would be signing I would've had more than 2 pucks... oh well.

******** being filtered.... think Dan Le Batard

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
10007527_10152249397817445_50848069_n.jpg

This is the photo I posted on Facebook last Friday when I found out I was heading down. That Cup is a 3/4 exact replica. Already have it signed by Denis Potvin and Nik Lidstrom - two of the top 6 or so defensemen to play the game.

I wanted so bad to have it with me at the game. I would ave rubbed those two autos right off of there had I been able to get some guys from that '99 team. Would have likely been the best opp I'll ever get.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Modano Center Ice Northstars

TJ or other jersey gurus with any idea of value?

If it's an actual authentic jersey from back in the day I would personally pay about $400, maybe a touch more. Dont think it is though.

If it's a redo then I would maybe say about $250 or so.

There are slight minor differences in the cresting in that one you posted which I could point out but they're very very minor and likely wouldn't be spotted at all if you were to wear it out. Overall looks like a great jersey.

If you're wanting a good North Stars Modano done to spec, then I'd get it from here.

http://classicmnhockey.com/search?q=north+stars

It's not a CCM, but it's the best jersey you'll find besides an actual Team Choice or CCM and it's done bang on to how they did them up back then. Best place on the planet for North Stars jerseys. Great price too. I bought my 1981 Ciccarelli from these guys and with shipping to Alberta it was about $175.

Sizing is a little bigger though. I'm a L in CCM so I ordered a L but it's more like an XL.

Edit: Here's a Modano gamer for you to compare.

2430.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad