Pre-Game Talk: Mike Modano's number to be retired March 8th

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Just fyi, apparently they're already taking deposits for the March 8th game.

Press release on the retirement....

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/06/04/quotable-mike-modano-on-his-no-9-being-retired/

The Dallas Stars announced today that the organization will retire the number 9 in honor of former Stars icon Mike Modano on Saturday, March 8, 2014 against the Minnesota Wild. The announcement was made at a special event at the AT&T Performing Arts Center.

“Mike Modano is a once-in-a-generation player and an American hockey icon,” said Dallas Stars President and CEO Jim Lites. “His contributions to our team, including winning the Stanley Cup and helping build hockey in Texas are immeasurable. We’re proud of everything Mike accomplished in a Stars uniform and are honored that his number 9 will hang in our rafters.”

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
1) It's a Saturday night --> More crowd than any other night of the week
2) It's the first day of most college/high school spring break --> Even more crowd than sat. night game
3) It's Mike Modano jersey retirement night --> automatic sellout

What I'm getting at, is that tickets will be near impossible to get in 2's, and big groups are basically out of the question.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Well deserved, obviously.

Not worth it to me to be there for something like this ... it'll be a zoo ... I WOULD have paid $100 to sit upstairs for his last game, that epic shootout win against the Ducks.

Jere Lehtinen or Sergei Zubov Night though ... miiight be a different story ... ;)

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
The main reason I am a North Stars/Stars fan.

I will be there for sure. I know tickets will be really hard to get but I will do my best to get them. This will be one hell of a night and it'll be my first Dallas Stars game in Dallas ever. Hopefully they are on a homestand at that time because I would want to go to more than just one game.

Why are some of you saying you're not a fan of the guy? Is he a rapist? A criminal??? Very confusing because I haven't heard to many evil and awful things about the guy.

Last edited:

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine

I will be there for sure. I know tickets will be really hard to get but I will do my best to get them. This will be one hell of a night and it'll be my first Dallas Stars game in Dallas ever. Hopefully they are on a homestand at that time because I would want to go to more than just one game.

Why are some of you saying you're not a fan of the guy? Is he a rapist? A criminal??? Very confusing because I haven't heard to many evil and awful things about the guy.

He's a dbag based on the experiences I've dealt with him. Not good with fans. Granted I understand it to a point, but the problem I have with him is how he poorly I've seen him treat young fans

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

Modano is a complete *********. He doesn't even try to hide it IMO.

And you better hit me up when you're down here. :handclap:

RiceKrejciTreat46

Jun 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
When is it supposed to be? Because I really want to but don't know if I am going to be available. Great player, he deserves just as much as everybody else. One of the best if not the best in Stars history.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
When is it supposed to be? Because I really want to but don't know if I am going to be available. Great player, he deserves just as much as everybody else. One of the best if not the best in Stars history.

Time wise? We won't know until schedule is out. Would expect at night. Only reason I would possibly think it being during the day is because they said at the event that all full season ticket holders would be invited to Modano's after party following the game. But still think it'll be at night.

Date wise, it's in the title and the first post.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

You wear your Stars gear on the plane and so will I.

As for people saying he's an a hole and a d bag etc etc, I've met him a few times and he's been nothing but awesome. One of the better ones when it comes to fans.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
The only player that I've met that was ruder in person was Neal.

Neal seemed like kind of a d-bag when I met him. I've met a ton of players over the years and really the only ones that I could say are as nice or nicer are Selanne, Iginla, Doan, Nieuwy, and Bob Gainey (classiest guy on the planet). Sheldon Souray and Ray Whitney are great too. To me anyways. I'm good friends with Sheldon's sister and I have mutual friends with Whitney (He's hometown of Fort Saskatchewan is 10 minutes from my home town)

My mom passed away suddenly back in March at age 59 and I'm not sure how he knew, but Modano actually tweeted my sister offering condolences, and Souray sent me a text. When the Ducks were in Edmonton this year Sheldon chatted with my brother, the one sister, and myself for a bit just about what happened, how we are and how our dad was too. Totally awesome down to earth guy.

Biggest D-bags I would say are/were Mike Richards, Doughty, Pat Kane, Toews, Duncan Keith, and maybe a few others. For some it just may depend on the day.

Oh ya and Russ Courtnall told me to F-off back when I was like 16. He was traded to Vancouver soon after :laugh:

Last edited:

Primetimey*

Just a heads up for you guys who were wanting to travel to Dallas for this game:

"On Saturday, March 8, the Dallas Stars will officially retire Mike Modano's number 9. This summer, 9 lucky fans will win a pair of tickets to the game and reserve their seats to watch live as #9 is raised to the rafters in a special pre-game ceremony. Tickets to this game will only be available for purchase in Full Season Plans, Half Season Plans, and 9 Game Plans. (9 Game Plans will go on sale after release of the NHL schedule.) Enter for your chance to win by July 15th."

Source: http://stars.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=89887

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad