Player Discussion Mike Matheson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ok so a #4-5 dman is playing top 5 minutes in the NHL. That's a team issue, not a Matheson issue.

So he wasn't getting ridiculed during the time that Letang was awful in that run and was one of their better players.

Mathematically, he will make less mistakes given that he will play like 7 minutes less. It's not possible to make the same amount of mistakes with that much less ice time. Now factoring in other elements such as quality of competition and less mental strain, it makes it even less likely to make mistakes. We've seen this with a similar player in Petry where he made a lot more mistakes when Weber was out of the lineup.

I'm not sure what you're going on about again. Like I said, he shouldn't be playing this much because his flaws become more apparent. There's nothing more to it.
Petry was an actual good defender and proper #3, up to his last year/last two with the Habs. He made mistakes but not of the magnitude of MM.

Im saying hes gonna suck even if he plays less. Youre trying to blame the playing time for the mistakes, the playing time isnt the root, Matheson is. Of course playing more amounts to more mistakes, every body understands that.

Lil quote from 2022s POs game 3:
Letang has been paired with Mike Matheson in Dumoulin’s absence and they have allowed five of the Rangers seven even strength goals. The Penguins are hoping Dumoulin can return to the lineup sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Pomee

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Petry was an actual good defender and proper #3, up to his last year/last two with the Habs. He made mistakes but not of the magnitude of MM.
You were shitting on Petry like every game man. I'm also not talking about Petry vs Matheson, I'm talking about playing more minutes and dealing with the other teams top players causes a lot more mistakes.
Im saying hes gonna suck even if he plays less. Youre trying to blame the playing time for the mistakes, the playing time isnt the root, Matheson is. Of course playing more amounts to more mistakes, every body understands that.
No I'm not. He's a flawed player and playing more just makes things worse. It's really not that hard to understand. You said he was making the same amount of mistakes with less ice time which is just untrue. Again, you keep ignoring it, but he definitely was not this bad with mistakes last year with us even if you want to say silly things like he’s a #6 dman.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You were shitting on Petry like every game man. I'm also not talking about Petry vs Matheson, I'm talking about playing more minutes and dealing with the other teams top players causes a lot more mistakes.

No I'm not. He's a flawed player and playing more just makes things worse. It's really not that hard to understand. You said he was making the same amount of mistakes with less ice time which is just untrue. Again, you keep ignoring it, but he definitely was not this bad with mistakes last year with us even if you want to say silly things like he’s a #6 dman.
I didnt know how good I had it with Jeff Im sorry

Ill never take a D for granted again.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Matheson has many skills, but vision isn't one of them. He shouldn't be the general at the blue-line on the PP. Keep him for 5-on-5, rotate the young Ds on the powerplay, see if we have something there. Is Harris a good puck distributor on the PP? We'll never know since we have to look at Matheson ignore clear pass options and force shots over and over and over.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matheson has many skills, but vision isn't one of them. He shouldn't be the general at the blue-line on the PP. Keep him for 5-on-5, rotate the young Ds on the powerplay, see if we have something there. Is Harris a good puck distributor on the PP? We'll never know since we have to look at Matheson ignore clear pass options and force shots over and over and over.
Not only that, but he's god damn terrible to keep it in, puck handle and actually shoot it. His strength lies literally in being lucky and skating well.

Reactions: Pomee and Toene

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Lil quote from 2022s POs game 3:

Petry was good until the 2021-2022 season, and had then heated up again after the coaching change, but he was also nearing that crossroads where you begin to battle father time.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Long term, they don't have an answer on the big team with respect to the QB. In the pipeline, Hutson is the best hope.

As much as the Habs are loaded with interesting prospects on defense, there is a lack of quantity with respect to guys who can potentially QB a very good PP.

Reactions: Toene

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Long term, they don't have an answer on the big team with respect to the QB. In the pipeline, Hutson is the best hope.

As much as the Habs are loaded with interesting prospects on defense, there is a lack of quantity with respect to guys who can potentially QB a very good PP.

Maybe, but being on a rebuild why not give a look at guy's like Ghule and Xhekaj, nothing to lose their it's not like we're playing for a playoffs spot and it doesn't seems like Billy is the answer long term.

That's one of the things i don't get with some of the decisions by this management groop, they seems very patient with things like the man to man coverage but on the other hand not ready to be that patient giving a chance to guy's like Ghule and X on the PP.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Toene

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe, but being on a rebuild why not give a look at guy's like Ghule and Xhekaj, nothing to lose their it's not like we're playing for a playoffs spot and it doesn't seems like Billy is the answer long term.

That's one of the things i don't get with some of the decisions by this management groop, they seems very patient with things like the man to man coverage but on the other hand not ready to be that patient giving a chance to guy's like Ghule and X on the PP.

I don't really object to that, but if those guys actually end up being our best QB options in the long run then that's likely a problem in itself.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I don't really object to that, but if those guys actually end up being our best QB options in the long run then that's likely a problem in itself.

Well, like i said it's worth trying, what's the point of not trying, aren't we in a development time of our rebuild with those young guy's, what's the reason for playing Kayden on his off side unstead of the older Matheson who probably wont be here when we are ready to compete.....i really dont get this too.

You think good management would say .........oh well no point to try to devlop guy's like Ghule and X into good PP QB cuz ........''if those guys actually end up being our best QB options in the long run then that's likely a problem in itself'', doesn't sound very proactive to me.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, like i said it's worth trying, what's the point of not trying, aren't we in a development time of our rebuild with those young guy's, what's the reason for playing Kayden on his off side unstead of the older Matheson who probably wont be here when we are ready to compete.....i really dont get this too.

You think good management would say .........oh well no point to try to devlop guy's like Ghule and X into good PP QB cuz ........''if those guys actually end up being our best QB options in the long run then that's likely a problem in itself'', doesn't sound very proactive to me.
Were in a developement period but HuGoMart can do no wrong. Monkey see, monkey do.

There is no logic to the utilisation of Matheson on the PP. If they actively tried to "protect" the kids, Guhle wouldn't play the PK, he'd play the PP.

Reactions: teamfirst

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
What an incredible goal the other game against Seatle, amazing! and finished up + 5 and nobody brings it up in his thread. Goes to show ya everything wrong with this part of the fanbase. Ya can rip a player apart, but when something special is done, nah. And people want to trade him, why.lmao

And what's up with Seattle's jersey? they're bloody hideous.

This play by play guy must be one the Matheson haters,what a dull call on a fabulous goal.

Reactions: Nicko999 and 26Mats

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What an incredible goal the other game against Seatle, amazing! and finished up + 5 and nobody brings it up in his thread. Goes to show ya everything wrong with this part of the fanbase. Ya can rip a player apart, but when something special is done, nah. And people want to trade him, why.lmao

And what's up with Seattle's jersey? they're bloody hideous.

This play by play guy must be one the Matheson haters,what a dull call on a fabulous goal.

Matheson is a high risk high reward player. When you play 26 minutes against the best players you will get burned more than D who play against bottom line players.
I love this site because of the amazing posters but the vitriol for this player is simply undeserving.

Reactions: rik schau

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Matheson is a high risk high reward player. When you play 26 minutes against the best players you will get burned more than D who play against bottom line players.
I love this site because of the amazing posters but the vitriol for this player is simply undeserving.
The more you play, the more you turn it over. All players turnover the puck and make errors.

Reactions: Tyson

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
IMO Matheson is an extreme case among high-risk, high-reward players.

His best plays are truly amazing (SHG last game).

His worst plays are unbelievably stupid.

That's why he gets the attention he does, and I think it's fair. After all, he's the one who's choosing to play this way :dunno:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Well, like i said it's worth trying, what's the point of not trying,
There is no logic to the utilisation of Matheson on the PP. If they actively tried to "protect" the kids, Guhle wouldn't play the PK, he'd play the PP.
They're keeping him on the PP because he is 9th in the NHL in PP points and 11th in overall points among defencemen. No, he's not Bobby Orr, and he should and will eventually be replaced by Hutson, but the guy is 6+ PP points ahead of players like Dahlin, Burns, and Carlson. Even with all the time he missed last year he's 19th in PP points among defencemen over 22-23 and 23-24 combined!

He's not a perfect player, I'd be fine if they traded him this summer, and I don't want him as the QB forever, but it's silliness to suggest there's no logic to using a defenceman that's 9th in the NHL in PP points at his position on PP1.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They're keeping him on the PP because he is 9th in the NHL in PP points and 11th in overall points among defencemen. No, he's not Bobby Orr, and he should and will eventually be replaced by Hutson, but the guy is 6+ PP points ahead of players like Dahlin, Burns, and Carlson. Even with all the time he missed last year he's 19th in PP points among defencemen over 22-23 and 23-24 combined!

He's not a perfect player, I'd be fine if they traded him this summer, and I don't want him as the QB forever, but it's ludicrous to suggest there's no logic to using a defenceman that's 9th in the NHL in PP points at his position on PP1.
His high A2 numbers boost up his points. He's routinely hurting the PP. Its not just about production, it's about energy expanditure on the PP, with his terrible decisions (Him and CC this year), he's just giving hte Habs way less momentum coming out of PPs.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There isn't another team in the league who wouldn't gladly take Matheson, warts and all.

As for the posters who have a blood hatred for this fine player, I can only note that our coaching staff has greater faith/reliance on Matheson than those vocal critics as is evidenced in the coaches' high usage of Matheson. I have often asked, which defenceman on our current roster would these Matheson critics prefer playing additional minutes? Is there any player on our team ( forward or defenceman) who could have scored that shorthanded goal against the Krakken?

This talent-bereft team has largely played competitive hockey this season because a thin patina of elite players, including Matheson, who have carried the team on their backs. Matheson logs huge minutes (5th most in the league), is one of only five players who has played all 70 games this season for the Canadiens, has elite skating ability, is one of the highest scoring defencemen in the league, has become a team leader and actually wants to play in the fishbowl that is Montreal. And is paid roughly half of what we are paying Gallagher, Suzuki and Caufield (or what any other number one style defenceman would demand).

Definitely sounds like a player we should be getting rid of.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
His high A2 numbers boost up his points. He's routinely hurting the PP. Its not just about production, it's about energy expanditure on the PP, with his terrible decisions (Him and CC this year), he's just giving hte Habs way less momentum coming out of PPs.
Yeah the A2s are boosting the overall point totals somewhat, but that's not the case on the PP. Among defencemen he's T8th with Karlsson for PP A1s, T6th with Doughty and Fox for PP G, and T10th with Dobson, Durzi, Josi, and Carlson for PP A2s while being 9th in overall PP points. Energy expenditure on the PP and "less momentum coming out of PPs" when he's 9th in PP points and the PP is the best it's been since the Markov days is really reaching IMO.

I get it, he's 30 and you don't like him while Guhle is 22 and we all love him and Guhle definitely has more offence to give than he's been able to show so far, but at the end of the day it's pro sports and Matheson has been extremely productive on the PP (and I don't really see a world where Guhle is routinely a top 10 PPQB either). Teams aren't just gonna yank a defenceman who's 9th in PP points off PP1 to put a guy who's primary value is always going to be rush defence and 5v5 play there, and that is in no way something that's unique to this FO/coaching staff.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There isn't another team in the league who wouldn't gladly take Matheson, warts and all.

As for the posters who have a blood hatred for this fine player, I can only note that our coaching staff has greater faith/reliance on Matheson than those vocal critics as is evidenced in the coaches' high usage of Matheson. I have often asked, which defenceman on our current roster would these Matheson critics prefer playing additional minutes? Is there any player on our team ( forward or defenceman) who could have scored that shorthanded goal against the Krakken?

This talent-bereft team has largely played competitive hockey this season because a thin patina of elite players, including Matheson, who have carried the team on their backs. Matheson logs huge minutes (5th most in the league), has elite skating ability, is one of the highest scoring defencemen in the league, has become a team leader and actually wants to play in the fishbowl that is Montreal. And is paid roughly half of what we are paying Gallagher, Suzuki and Caufield (or what any other number one style defenceman would demand).

Definitely sounds like a player we should be getting rid of.
Sounds like a player we should appreciate

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

He's not a perfect player, I'd be fine if they traded him this summer, and I don't want him as the QB forever, but it's silliness to suggest there's no logic to using a defenceman that's 9th in the NHL in PP points at his position on PP1.

Yes he's having a very good season point wise, that i already knew but dont know why you quote me you did not adress one point of my post.

All i said is being in a devlopment year we should give more offensive responsabilities to guy's like Ghule, wich we did the last 3 games by the way, about time, hope it continue

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Matheson has done well in MTL. I'm not sure I'd want the Habs to sign either Matheson or Savard to their next contracts, but both have been really good vet D's for the rebuild.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
At first, you look at Matheson’s production, wow 48 points. However, you look the stats right beside.. -27. Lol. This is exactly the reference that this guy play too many minutes against highh Caliber. He is a perfect second pair dman. He is going to have probably less production, but at least, his ratio +/- will be better.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Matheson has done well in MTL. I'm not sure I'd want the Habs to sign either Matheson or Savard to their next contracts, but both have been really good vet D's for the rebuild.
With respect to Matheson, it all depends on the state of development of the cadre of young defencemen we are hoping will be major contributors over the coming years .

For Matheson, he will have no shortage of suitors, even if he is expecting to receive the then prevailing market salary for a mobile, high usage defenceman. Matheson has professed a willingness to play in Montreal. A rare attribute that will also play a determining role in the team's ultimate decision of whether or not to retain this important player. Will Montreal have the ability to attract other high value defencemen? We have had little success in this regard in the past

If Matheson retains his current level of performance, I can't see Montreal's management not retaining this team leader. Too many factors militate against that decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad