Injury Report: Mike Kostka - Broken finger (Mod warning post #146)

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Don't wanna wish injury on anyone but at least it completely removes any temptation for Carlyle to put him back in.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
During the playoffs, the pluses of an offensive minded defenseman don't outweigh the minuses of their lack of positioning and tendency for giveaways. Especially not less physical players while playing against "The Big Bad Bruins". They didn't get that nickname by being tall and evading taxes.

The argument that our one goal was caused by pinching from the blue line is true, but so is the argument that the 15 odd man rushes given up were as well, and so were at least 2 goals against. Losing math in that case, and in the playoffs, even math is more frowned upon than looked up to.

Gardiner will be a really good offensive d-man, but he's too much of a liability right now.

So noted.

I'd qualify the want by pointing out the obvious pairing with a defensive D. We're missing a player that explodes from our own zone and pushes the opposition back...I think Gardiner is that type of player...Well...I hope he is, rather.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can't believe he played with a broken finger, this should put him in the Bob Baun level of all time Leafs greats. Get well soon Mike!!

I dunno, when you're playing hurt and then also hurting your team for 4 goals on the ice, I feel like you have to take yourself out of the action. At some point, you just become a liability (even moreso in Kostka's case).

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Such little patience. The whole issue of throwing young players into the fire before they're properly prepared is one of the reasons that Schenn is not a Leaf and had such an underwhelming couple of seasons before being traded.

It's also the reason why Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs in over 2 decades, the fact that they don't rush players up to the NHL before they're prepared.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I am still trying to figure out what Kostka was doing on the ice in the first place...this guy is not and never has been an NHL defender. He was ok to start the season but quickly went downhill and never recovered.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Ya, Kostka is an AHL jouneyman, there is no comparison with him and Schenn

Agreed. He has no business suiting up for an NHL game, let alone a playoff game.

I'm not touching that bet.

I'd take that bet. You really think his replacement (O'Byrne/Gardiner) will continuously get caught out on the ice for 2+ minutes at a time and finish a -3 with as many giveaways as Kostka? The guy is probably the worst player in the NHL who sees consistent time.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
We need to stop for a moment and talk about Mark Fraser, who was almost just as bad.

Fraser = Schenn 2.0
Kostka = Schenn 3.0

Getting these 2 back to the AHL should be a priority next season. Depth D-men, that's it.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
We need to stop for a moment and talk about Mark Fraser, who was almost just as bad.

Fraser = Schenn 2.0
Kostka = Schenn 3.0

Getting these 2 back to the AHL should be a priority next season. Depth D-men, that's it.

I would have to agree that Fraser was pretty horrible last night, but overall I think he had a really solid season. He is a good bottom pairing defenceman and complimented Franson's offensive game perfectly at even strength.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Good. Guy is garbage. Cost us game 1.

Franson - Fraser

Carlyle is an idiot for changing it

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Such little patience. The whole issue of throwing young players into the fire before they're properly prepared is one of the reasons that Schenn is not a Leaf and had such an underwhelming couple of seasons before being traded.

It's also the reason why Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs in over 2 decades, the fact that they don't rush players up to the NHL before they're prepared.

Why don't u go check how old kostka is then laugh at your post

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

Fraser = Schenn 2.0
Kostka = Schenn 3.0

Lolwut?

Guy has 1 bad game and everyone wants to throw him back down. Imo he has earned his keep with the big club, alll our Dmen can't be #1 Dmen... And he is perfect for this team can't believe the hate he Is currently getting

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs defensive depth isn't exactly at the top of the league.

In the rebuild the defense is still under construction.

Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Franson are the only players I see going forward out of the current group.

Leafs have been making do with a couple AHL defenders all season.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Leafs defensive depth isn't exactly at the top of the league.

In the rebuild the defense is still under construction.

Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Franson are the only players I see going forward out of the current group.

Leafs have been making do with a couple AHL defenders all season.

I agree Ulf. I could see Fraser getting a two year extension as a stop gap/depth guy, and, although it pains me to say it, I think Gardiner is moved this summer.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Reminiscent of Bozak from 2 years ago.

I like Kostka, he makes a lot of great passes and smart plays, all game long.

This massive hate fest is mob mentality at it's finest.

Reading this thread, you'd almost forget that there were 21 other players that shat the bed just as bad, none of whom have a broken finger to wave around as an excuse.

Where is the hate fest for Kadri? He's back to his old ways of donating pucks at both blue lines. Is he still the golden boy?

The only players that deserve a modicum of respect for that game are Grabovski and Kessel.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I know it's much more fashionable to hate on Kostka, but I'd say that Fraser was a MUCH bigger problem out there on Wednesday night. Looking past the +/-, I saw Fraser make way more mistakes then Kostka and altogether Fraser handled the puck like it a molotov cocktail with too short a fuse. He was atrocious.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Fraser was terrible, but he deserves another shot based on his consistent play throughout the season, unlike Kostka. If Fraser struggles again, then yank him for the rest of the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad