Injury Report: Mike Kostka - Broken finger (Mod warning post #146)

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Fraser was put into a situation that normally he would not be in, that is playing 24 minutes when 12-15 min is the norm. If Franson is able to play, Carlyle should dress the other two as well and go with 7 D. I believe the Leafs are going to try and play a speed game Saturday. The Leafs always beat Boston the couple of years before 2012 using their speed.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 2h
Michael Kostka said he knew instantly that shot from Daugavins had broken bone in finger. Passing, shooting all quite painful.

He wanted to continue playing because Franson was already out and they would have been stuck with 4 D-man instead. Cut him some slack. He has heart. I really believe he's a solid player, just that he should not be playing on the PP.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Sorry, but, I have to add some controversial criticism here. I thought the scouting was supposed to be much improved. Yet, Kostka and Fraser come out of nowhere (I don't know who they are or what they've done).

The Leafs supposedly upgraded their scouting and Burke was wanting all these accolades and credit.... LOL! Sorry, I think that is absurd (of him). I see very little improvement if any with the scouting when it comes to dmen. When other teams are finding gems but the Leafs are playing AHL scrubs and guys they traded for, I don't see the improvement in the scouting dept.

Then, I read this:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/03/leafs-steve-kasper-has-no-nostalgia-for-bruins-days

Kasper came up with Kostka and Fraser?

I dunno, Steve, but, I'm not sold on those two. I think I'm a half decent judge of talent. I don't think I'm going to get a job as Leafs director of pro scouting but I like to think I can spot some things.

I still think giving up on Jason Smith was a major mistake. Trading Kenny Jonsson was dumb (when it happened) and despite his injuries, he had talent when he was traded. But, the Leafs always 'see talent' in scrubs and pylons and they hold on to them for too long. But, they trade the few talents they have on D. I hope they don't trade Gardiner. He's not tough or a physical dmen but he has wheels. The Leafs need some good skaters on D and some guys who can be physical but don't skate like they're trying to make it through concrete.

I don't see Kostka or Fraser as guys that are going to gradually or suddenly improve. I think the Leafs still need to work on improving their core (at D). However, they have to make do with what they have this year. But, c'mon, they must have better choices and options than Fraser/Kostka?????

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 2h
Michael Kostka said he knew instantly that shot from Daugavins had broken bone in finger. Passing, shooting all quite painful.

Painful to do, or painful to watch?

Cuz I know it's painful to watch.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I don't know why people are ragging on Fraser when he was one of our better players this season. Yeah he had a terrible game, but then again so did almost all of our 'star' players.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Not a bad 5/6 guy played in a minimum role.. BUT terrible when given big minutes and PP time. No PP should be given.. ever!

LadyLeaf

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto
I hate seeing anyone injured but at least O'bryne or Gardiner will get the chance to play. They both aren't any worse than CostUs and provide way more upside.

Its sad that it takes an injury for Randy to play a dman lineup he should have gone with in the first place. :/

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Hate to say bad things about players being hurt but, I just have to mention:

Costco In = Leafs Lose
Costco Out = Leafs Win

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I don't know why people are ragging on Fraser when he was one of our better players this season. Yeah he had a terrible game, but then again so did almost all of our 'star' players.

Fraser was not one of our better players this season. He was the 6th d-man, that played mostly against 3rd and 4th lines. In the first game against boston during the playoffs, his brainfarts alone caused 2 goals against. Just doing a simple "chip the puck off the glass" would've worked both times, but the simple play was just far too complicated for him.

I'm not going to totally write him off on one game, mostly due to the fact he's been a career AHLer. I chalk it up to jitters, and all players new to the nhl playoff pressure cooker deserve a mulligan or two.

He hasn't been bad this season, but calling him one of the better players when he's played primarily against scrubs is reaching quite a bit. I didn't see any of our star players playing anywhere near as poorly as him during that first game, and lumping them into his category is insulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad