Mike Hoffman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Grant scored 2 points in 20 games played, hoffman has played two games, i say give him the same sample size as grant and see how he does.

Exactly :handclap: Except the point part, Grant was really good regardless of his points.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You said prospects that "project to be top six forwards".

They all project to be top six forwards.

This is what I said "The fact is the Sens don't have many prospects available that project to be top six forwards"

We were talking in previous posts about this year, however don't let that stop you from interpreting it anyway you want.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno, I thought Hoffman has looked pretty good. He hasn't been a liability, he's working hard, his speed is causing the other team problems and if not for a few (seemingly nervous) flubs he probably could have had a couple goals already.

If he's given time to get comfortable and gain confidence I think he can be effective as a tertiary scoring option.

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
You might as well change your name to Cory Locke 2.0 because thus far, that's all Hoffman is.

Whining about lack of chances? He got two games with our best Centre and winger and did nothing. Actually he did less than nothing as he managed to actually bring his line down by looking lost out there.

If you're not a grade A prospect and you're given the chance for top 6 minutes, you sure as heck better make the most of it. He didn't. Just like Da Costa.

The problem with Corey Locke was that his speed was absolute garbage, and he wasn't physical. Hoffman was one of the fastest players in Bingo, and Richardson said he might be the fastest player in the AHL. And Hoffman is pretty physical too, watch him finish his checks consistently. If you're able to, watch some of Hoffman's games from this year in Bingo. He is an absolute beast. I don't understand the Corey Locke comparison, and you're talking to the guy who watched a lot of Bingo games back when Locke played in Bingo.

To those saying Hoffman has looked lost so far in his 3 games: the team itself has pretty much been lost the whole season.

Hoffman has been pretty sweet so far I think. He hasn't really been a liability by any means. He moves the puck really well, and with some time he'll build solid chemistry with his line mates. The points and goals will come, I think there's no doubt about that. A lot of people in this thread will be eating not just crow, but every other single bird known to humankind.

He's too good for the AHL so his time in the NHL has come.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just don't see anything in Hoffman's game that tells me he is an NHL player. Derek Grant at least looks useful. Hoffman looks useless.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hoffman has been good so far. Has not looked comfortable, which is understandable considering the skilled game he plays.

Benching a young player two games into his call-up is a horrible way to develop said player into an NHLer. Hoffman has the skill and speed to be an effective scoring forward in this league, just needs to get comfortable, and in order to do that he needs an opportunity.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
At some point he needs to start producing at this level. This should be his goal. I hope he stays positive.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It is far too early to assess Hoffman. In one game, I recall a shot from the corner at the goalie's feet which he almost fumbled and another snap shot that popped out of his glove. I have a feeling he'll do well in the long run although so far I personally don't find him aggressive enough fighting for position or the puck.

I think Hoffman will stay with the Sens until / unless they become totally convinced they will not re-sign him to a one way deal for next year since there is a greater chance they would lose him on waivers now.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
:
Anyone who calls an NHL calibre player useless has no idea what they are talking about and can't be taken seriously.
:handclap: Did anyone witness MacArthur's first couple years ? St. Louis ? Kadri ? All useless I suppose ? It takes time with skill players. Matt Moulson and Micheal Grabner where thrown on the scrap heap and saved, they to were useless :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To quit on a guy after 2 games is rather pathetic. Hoffman should at least be playing 3rd line minutes. The only reason he isn't is because we don't have a skilled 3rd line center who is also skilled offensively to work with Hoffman. Well... there is Zibanejad but we all now 2 shifts into the 1st period he'll be on Spezza's line.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol, ice-time shows otherwise. I do not mean quit completely, I mean he hasn't been given a fair shake while our team in general playing like **** so there's no justification behind it. Condra is on top6. CONDRA, and I'm a huge condra supporter.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
To quit on a guy after 2 games is rather pathetic. Hoffman should at least be playing 3rd line minutes. The only reason he isn't is because we don't have a skilled 3rd line center who is also skilled offensively to work with Hoffman. Well... there is Zibanejad but we all now 2 shifts into the 1st period he'll be on Spezza's line.

Yup and Conacher will get about 8 more minutes than Hoffman, and Kassian about 3 more minutes than Hoffman. Heck he might just as well sit.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lol, ice-time shows otherwise. I do not mean quit completely, I mean he hasn't been given a fair shake while our team in general playing like **** so there's no justification behind it. Condra is on top6. CONDRA, and I'm a huge condra supporter.

he was given 14 mins of icetime in his first two games that is a LOT more of a chance than most guys get epsecially playing with Ryan and Turris. Just cause he got reduced icetime in a penalty filled game doesn't mean much other than the fact he hasn't done much with his icetime.

WHen Pageau got called up he took the chance and ran with it last year. Hoffman at some point needs to show some confidence.

this is probably not the end of hoffman but he isn't working and we don't have time to waste when our season is slipping

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Why does this surprise you ? There is a reason why our young players are not performing well, it is NOT a lack of skill. Cowen, Weircioch, Gryba, Conacher,Pageau and yes even Hoffman if you compare his four games last year. They are all playing tentative and are on a VERY short leash, unlike the veterans they are not given ample opportunity to thrive on this team. It is the Detroit Red Wing model of player development. Maybe it works in the long run, who knows ?

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Why does this surprise you ? There is a reason why our young players are not performing well, it is NOT a lack of skill. Cowen, Weircioch, Gryba, Conacher,Pageau and yes even Hoffman if you compare his four games last year. They are all playing tentative and are on a VERY short leash, unlike the veterans they are not given ample opportunity to thrive on this team. It is the Detroit Red Wing model of player development. Maybe it works in the long run, who knows ?

I wonder how well that model works when the veterans stink? It's one thing to get limited ice, opportunities, and a short leash when you're watching pros succeed - another thing entirely when you're watching a team lose games and struggle to find an identity.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wonder how well that model works when the veterans stink? It's one thing to get limited ice, opportunities, and a short leash when you're watching pros succeed - another thing entirely when you're watching a team lose games and struggle to find an identity.
Very good point. The reasons veterans get the ice time in Detroit is mostly because they're good, not because they're veterans. To take their place of course you should have a lot to prove. Right now it shouldn't take so much effort to displace some of our veterans.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

That is my exact point on why we are seeing regression in the play of our young guys, if it leads us to wonder why could you imagine how it plays on a young guys head :shakehead

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
he was given 14 mins of icetime in his first two games that is a LOT more of a chance than most guys get epsecially playing with Ryan and Turris. Just cause he got reduced icetime in a penalty filled game doesn't mean much other than the fact he hasn't done much with his icetime.

WHen Pageau got called up he took the chance and ran with it last year. Hoffman at some point needs to show some confidence.

this is probably not the end of hoffman but he isn't working and we don't have time to waste when our season is slipping

14 minutes of icetime eh? Thing is the majority of that time was in his first game and he was basically benched for most of the second. Even veteran players need at least a few full games before adjusting to new linemates. Scratching him now is just about the worst thing for his development. I'm not saying Hoff is a sure-fire star in this league, but this call-up has been mishandled and you shouldn't use it to assess Hoffman's true abilities at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad