Status
Not open for further replies.

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Blades Green

RANGERDIEHARD said:
I was looking for some information on this kid:
attributes, strengths, weaknesses and comparisons to other D - prospects. Thanks in advance!

Green is a high risk, high reward type. He has a very smooth effortless skating style. Offensively talented, perhaps undersized for today behemoth NHL.

I would compare him to Paul Coffey as they are both about the same size(whether Green is able to elevate his game to achieve what Coffey did at the NHL level is obviously to be determined). Fast, effortless skating. A tremendous offensive game with a decent shot and nice vision.

Weaknesses. The defensive side of the game, because he jumps into the play so often it creates odd man opportunities coming back the other way.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Have to disagree on the high risk issue. In fact, McKeens goes as far as saying Green is "Not a home run-pick, but a sure-fire base hit."

He basically does everything well.

Two things to know about Green:
- He was born just a little too late to be in the 2003 draft, and as such is one of the oldest players eligible for the draft (in terms of those projected in the 1st round anyway). Given that, he may drop a tad (but not much)
- He seems to have most everything, including great wheels, but is just a little small for the prototypical "blue chip d-man".

And he looked dynamite in the Prospects game.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Have to disagree on the high risk issue. In fact, McKeens goes as far as saying Green is "Not a home run-pick, but a sure-fire base hit."

He basically does everything well.

Two things to know about Green:
- He was born just a little too late to be in the 2003 draft, and as such is one of the oldest players eligible for the draft (in terms of those projected in the 1st round anyway). Given that, he may drop a tad (but not much)
- He seems to have most everything, including great wheels, but is just a little small for the prototypical "blue chip d-man".

And he looked dynamite in the Prospects game.

Agree, I've never seen anything that would suggest that Green's defensive game is lackluster. If anything the opposite, that's actually pretty solid. He loves to pinch because he's got great speed, but when he doesn't, he seems very poised at the defensive end. He's also a great hitter and fierce competitor.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
You gotta like that the kid is intense. From reports it does seem as though Green is a complete defender and the more I think about it, he has everything a GM could ask from a defender and hockey player.

On comments about his age, Does that factor drop Sami Lepisto also? On the other hand, an older player may be valued even more by a competetive NHL team like Detroit or Colorado as they've already had an extra year or two to grow and mature.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Brock said:
Agree, I've never seen anything that would suggest that Green's defensive game is lackluster. If anything the opposite, that's actually pretty solid. He loves to pinch because he's got great speed, but when he doesn't, he seems very poised at the defensive end. He's also a great hitter and fierce competitor.

So, basically you just described Dan Hamhuis in a nutshell.

It seems that defencemen shorter than 6'2 and lighter than 200 pounds are considered small nowadays, but there are guys like Green and Hamhuis who simply don't care. I agree with pretty much everything Brock and Doc have said.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
Too small? Are you kiddin me? Just like everyone says that Barret Jackman or Dan Hamhuis were too small. Jackamn turned into the calder trophy winner and Hamhuis, after coming on strong in the second half, is now a calder candidate. Dont be quick to judge, cause it is the players ability to play in the end that makes his future. And Green is 6'1 anyways. Settle down people, he will turn into a very good player. Steal of the Draft. Now only if 'Toon town could get a good WHL team, then watch out for him!!!!

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Nah. Green SUCKS .....(this is my way spreading propogranda so that scouts/GM viewing the board won't draft him til the Oilers do :rolly: )

IMO this kid is pure gold... he's good smart player who seemingly pick the most opportune times to jump up in the play. He's also quite good defensively as well. Unlike some of the offensive defensman you see around the league ie. Poti, Kaberle et al. His play at the CHL prospect game was a gem, but his season is marred because he plays for a crappy team. :mad:

GXL

Hossa said:
So, basically you just described Dan Hamhuis in a nutshell.

It seems that defencemen shorter than 6'2 and lighter than 200 pounds are considered small nowadays, but there are guys like Green and Hamhuis who simply don't care. I agree with pretty much everything Brock and Doc have said.

Hamhuis is much, much more physical though. Green's a nice prospect, but doesn't bring as much to the table as Hamhuis IMO.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I question Green's character. From talking to someone i know who's involved with the team, they said they think Green has bailed on the team and is only worrying about showing off his individual skills now.

DR. Holiday

Draft Guru said:
I question Green's character. From talking to someone i know who's involved with the team, they said they think Green has bailed on the team and is only worrying about showing off his individual skills now.

Actually he's the captain and obvious on ice leader of the team. The statement you made is off the wall and really says a lot about the type of information people can be subjected to on the boards. I take it you see the blades a ton in New York.
The kid in the flames jersey in the liberian mob is great.

Last edited by a moderator:

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
I suppose it's about time for me to pipe in about Green. In no way has ever bailed on this team. He is a great captain, and never gives up no matter the score. In fact, he's been quoted as saying that he limits himself to looking up at the scoreboard once a game (superstition, i guess).

His coach was quoted in the newspaper about two months ago as comparing him to the shortstop on a slowpitch team that is way better than everyone else on his team. So he runs the ball to first base instead of throwing for fear of the first baseman not catching it. Strange analogy to make about a player in the newspaper when you are trying to motivate your team-----but I have to agree with him----it's true.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Mike Green

What's your opinion on Mike Green?
I heard a lot about him; some say he's better than Barker, some say he has a limited upside and limited scoring abilities, others he has good scoring abilities but the problem is his size. I heard he's a great hitter too.

He's projected to be a 10-15 range but some people say he could crack the top 10 too.
I'm very interested in this guy since I don't know so much about him and heard to many different things on him, but it seems he could be the guy Anaheim is searching for the defense (if Anaheim continue to win and go down in the "top 10 picks race").

So is he (at least) the second best d-man in the next draft, european guys included? What's his upside? Any comparison with current players?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He seems to be #2 at this point, although Wes O'Neill is still ahead of him on some lists. And AJ Thelan certainly seems to be moving up, and could easily surpass Green. As could Smid or Meszaros in terms of any particular team's preferences. Especially given Green has been hurt of late (it seems), and his team will not make the playoffs. He could go anywhere from top 10 to late in the first round.

In terms of comparisons, that's always tough, but given he is good at everything and has tremendous skating ability, with his size (not small, just not big) being his biggest downside, a comparison to Desjardins might give you some idea (maybe a tad more physical). Actually, Dany Markov might be a good comparison.

The other issue seemingly working against him is he is older than pretty much every other defensive prospect (save Lepisto), so he is expected to be a little further ahead in his development and sometime hasn't been given enough credit because of this. But most scouts sound more sold on him now than 3 or 4 months ago. He had a great CHL prospects game.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
The thing that gets me is that he's the only bright spot on a very, very poor team. i think if he were to play on a better team he would be putting up much better numbers, and probally get more recognition. He's pretty agressive for a player of his size, he's also a very smooth skater, really good at making the pass out of his zone as well. Next to Barker, Green would be the top dman in this years draft...age...what's a few months?

GXL

J F M

Jun 22, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I must admit that I've seen very little of this year's draft class, so my take is skewed. From the little that I've seen my favourites up to this point (and hoping the Habs will have a crack at) Green tops the list, followed by Valabik and Berti. Hopefully I'll be able to catch more games before the Mem Cup to get a better impression.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Green is really fast, a hard hitter, good offensive skills and decent defensivly. Alot like Jovo.

Sersen isn't getting enough hype.
Yep Sersen is the most valuable player in Rimouski ( After Crosby Of Course )

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I've been searching a scouting report on him for a long time. I know that he skates well, he has made a great hit at the prospect game, he's usually staying at home but he put up a lot of points.... I would like to know, how is his shot, passing game, does he hits often, how is his physical game, how skilled is he.... etc. I have read somewhere that the guy wants to improve at any price and he looks like having a good attitude. I would like to hear more about him. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad