Mike Green Got Hit and Never Returned

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
No offical NHL statistic for this, but I heard that the unofficial statistic is he is 1st overall. I think Ken Daniels mentioned this in a game awhile back.

Another guy who often gets lit is Alec Martinez from LA. Ask Kings fans about it...they'll tell you. lol

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Glad Mike Green is okay, surprised to know that Ken Holland was swimming in offers for him before the game.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Good news, Now Holland needs to trade him ASAP before he does get injured.

That's tough, because if you trade him now you risk a lower return. If you don't play him, teams will think he is hurt. There is not much Holland can do other then cross his fingers and hope Green stays healthy.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
That's tough, because if you trade him now you risk a lower return. If you don't play him, teams will think he is hurt. There is not much Holland can do other then cross his fingers and hope Green stays healthy.

i wonder how much worse the return would be tomorrow vs 8 days later

a 1st and a 4th vs a 1st and a 3rd?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
i wonder how much worse the return would be tomorrow vs 8 days later

a 1st and a 4th vs a 1st and a 3rd?
I think either is a very optimistic estimate. Just a late 1st would be an awesome return, and it wouldn't shock me if it ended up being a pair of 2nds, but we'll see soon enough.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It's kinda sad that we need someone to reach out to Custance on this for news while people in the Detroit area whose job it is to keep track of the Wings don't say anything...

There are fewer and fewer reporters.
Khan only covers the Wings at home.
Kulfan's game story is a bunch of quotes from Fox Sports Detroit and could have been written by blogger in his PJs.
As far as I know, HSJ was the only wings beat writer to travel with the Wings on the trip.

For all the bragging The Athletic does, they don't travel with the Wings. In fact, of all the cities, I think The Athletic Detroit has the worst hockey coverage because Custance has a lot more to do than be a beat writer.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Does anyone really think the return is going to change appreciably over the next 9 days? Seems like a lot of wishful thinking but that's the Red Wings for ya.

Yes I do. I don't think its a Red Wing thing though, I think its a trade deadline thing. I would say the same thing if we were in the playoffs and we were buying.

Once the first legit contender makes a move, the teams at a similar level will try to match it to keep up. Then once teams begin to get desperate, they have a tendency to get into a bidding war. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Green is going to bring in some giant return, because the reality is that I don't know. I'm also not going to tell you that you can't get a good return now, because an aggressive GM could make a huge offer now to get ahead of the game. I think that's more contingent though on an aggressive buyer, not an aggressive seller. IMO, being an aggressive seller early makes you appear desperate.

With all that being said, if you are asking me to tell you what situation I believe gives you the highest probability of getting the best return, I think its on draft deadline day, because like I said earlier some teams begin to get desperate. There is no "wishful thinking" involved here.

Reactions: Red Stanley

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Does anyone really think the return is going to change appreciably over the next 9 days? Seems like a lot of wishful thinking but that's the Red Wings for ya.

Do you think that there has been a team that has stepped up with a good offer and is ready to buy today? And do you think Green would want to go there?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Do you think that there has been a team that has stepped up with a good offer and is ready to buy today? And do you think Green would want to go there?
My guess is Holland is probably asking for more than what the market will accept. He'll wait to the very end and probably get whatever is being offered now - or less if any trade partners get a better offer.

You're going to have to show me some history of him doing really well on any of these deals to suggest he's got some good handle on bargaining. Just look at all the awful contracts he's given complete with NTCs and it kinda makes my point. The best you can do is the Smith trade but the NYR are renowned for being clueless about player value and for pissing away draft picks.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There are fewer and fewer reporters.
Khan only covers the Wings at home.
Kulfan's game story is a bunch of quotes from Fox Sports Detroit and could have been written by blogger in his PJs.
As far as I know, HSJ was the only wings beat writer to travel with the Wings on the trip.

For all the bragging The Athletic does, they don't travel with the Wings. In fact, of all the cities, I think The Athletic Detroit has the worst hockey coverage because Custance has a lot more to do than be a beat writer.
97.1 doesn't send people to do interviews after the games?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
My guess is Holland is probably asking for more than what the market will accept. He'll wait to the very end and probably get whatever is being offered now - or less if any trade partners get a better offer.

You're going to have to show me some history of him doing really well on any of these deals to suggest he's got some good handle on bargaining. Just look at all the awful contracts he's given complete with NTCs and it kinda makes my point. The best you can do is the Smith trade but the NYR are renowned for being clueless about player value and for pissing away draft picks.

Holland doesnt make many trades but when he does theyre usually good. The one thats bad was the first for Quincey but the wings werent taking a goalie in that spot. I think Holland had a good idea that the back end of that first round was pretty weak. But I think his Stuart trade was really good, I think the Smith trade was extremely good. Sheahan getting a third was good, a third for Jurco was a steal hes an AHLer.

Holland is awful at contracts for sure, but I think hes been OK overall when he does actually make trades.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
From what Blashill was saying, Green is out tonight and tomorrow night. But doesn't believe it's long term.

As long as he's cleared to play by the deadline and can be traded, I don't really care. Missing a couple of games with a minor injury is almost a good thing to keep him from getting a bigger one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad