Mike Green Got Hit and Never Returned

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Didnt look bad, but you never know. If he's legit hurt, this just sucks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This was always a big danger with holding onto him until the end. Green is far from the most durable guy in the league. Hopefully he comes out of this fine otherwise we might have just seen our best trade deadline asset sewered.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
If this is serious just shut him down and plug in someone else and lose more games. If not, then trade him as soon as possible and hope we still continue to lose games. As Draper said...Getting Dahlin would put our team with a whole new look. Odds aren't favorable but there are still some really good players up in that range we could get.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Didn't look good the way he held his arm to his side afterward. Also been out twice before with a shoulder injury ('15 and '16). Such a stupid, needless hit. Should we expect to hear some news today?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If Green is hurt, and unable to be traded thats devastating. You can't predict everything, and sure trading Green two weeks ago would have been great. There is a reason most teams wait until deadline day.. drive prices up and get the largest return for your asset. Also, the Wings are trying to keep a competitive culture for as long as possible. Larkin and Mantha likely finish the season with about 30 points each if Green isnt here from day 1. We struggle for offensive creativity already. Wait until Kronwall and Danny D are running our power play.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Unless he's done for the year, I doubt an injury completely cancels the ability to trade him.

Off the top of my head, I can remember two deadline rental deals for injured players

-1999: Red Wings sent a 1999 2nd and a 2000 3rd to the Rangers for Ulf Samuelsson who had broken his foot a couple days earlier but was expected back before the playoffs
-2007: Red Wings sent Shawn Matthias, a conditional 2007 pick (2nd that could become a 1st depending on games played/team and Bertuzzi performance) that ended up being a 2nd, and an ultimately not exercised conditional 2008 2nd (that would've gone to FL in Bertuzzi re-signed in Detroit) to Florida for Todd Bertuzzi, who was still 3-4 weeks from recovering from Hernia surgery

I'm sure there are other examples.

The real concern would be if an injury decreases Greens trade value or turns a pick or picks that might have been guaranteed into conditionals based on how much he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad