Confirmed with Link: Mike Condon (PIT) to the Senators for 5th round pick

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
What's your argument? That they should have waited (and potentially lost games with Driedger starting or whoever) and played chicken with Pitts until they put him on waivers again? They weren't going to pick him off waivers when they didn't need him. He isn't on waivers now. They need a backup now. You would rather wait for another GM to help us out? Good luck with that.

They still could potentially lose games with Condon starting as well.....either way you want to spin it...its terrible situation right now regarding Andy, but I just think we shouldn't be giving up assets without even giving our future a look in Driedger right now(for more then a couple of periods coming off the bench cold).

I think this has just as much to do with not screwing over Bingo right now and leaving them with just Greenham and whoever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For a player that will likely play 15-20 games his entire career for the Sens?....sure, if we were looking to plug a hole that's fine...I just don't understand why we had to settle for giving up any assets at all for it.

This team hands out picks as if they were candy on Halloween to have a shot at the playoffs now(I'm not against the Brassard trade as I love him as player...I just think we will bottom out by the time we move to Lebreton if this trend continues).

The Senators needed some insurance. Bingo needed an AHL quality goaltender.
Condon / Hammond can be traded to recoup a pick.
Condon is 575k ... he is cheap insurance

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A completely reasonable trade assuming that Hammond is out long-term.

A 5th is nothing considering the return is stability/depth at a position we currently are very unsure about due to both injury (Hammond) and the potential for an unfortunate and tragic personal situation taking a goalie away at a moment's notice (Andy).

Sometimes, stuff happens. Stuff that is statistically very unlikely to happen, like both of your NHL goaltenders potentially being out of action. A 5th is totally fine to rectify that on short notice.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
For a player that will likely play 15-20 games his entire career for the Sens?....sure, if we were looking to plug a hole that's fine...I just don't understand why we had to settle for giving up any assets at all for it.

This team hands out picks as if they were candy on Halloween to have a shot at the playoffs now(I'm not against the Brassard trade as I love him as player...I just think we will bottom out by the time we move to Lebreton if this trend continues).

Our #1 goalie will likely come and go all year. Our #2 goalie is injured. And you're harping about giving up a 5th to stabilize the position, going on about asset management and disregarding the fact that when Condon was on waivers, we had no need for him?

6gh.gif

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
They still could potentially lose games with Condon starting as well.....either way you want to spin it...its terrible situation right now regarding Andy, but I just think we shouldn't be giving up assets without even giving our future a look in Driedger right now(for more then a couple of periods coming off the bench cold).

I think this has just as much to do with not screwing over Bingo right now and leaving them with just Greenham and whoever.

You don't think it has anything to do with possibly ****ing up Driedgers development?

If he has to start a bunch of games and gets shelled because he's not ready, what does that do for his confidence? Let's be real, confidence is massive for goalies.

This isn't to make Binghamton better. It does several things:

1) gives us a backup with NHL experience if Andy and Hammond miss extended time
2) doesn't force Dridger or O'Connor into a position they're not ready for, which could stunt their development
3) makes us a better NHL team

But hey, go on about asset management of a 5th round pick. :handclap:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Our #1 goalie will likely come and go all year. Our #2 goalie is injured. And you're harping about giving up a 5th to stabilize the position, going on about asset management and disregarding the fact that when Condon was on waivers, we had no need for him?

We clearly should have claimed Condon, and carried 3 goalies all year without knowing if we'd need him at all.

Potentially sitting a 3rd goalie in the pressbox all year and carrying an extra body for potentially no reason at all is clearly excellent asset management.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
A week ago we were laughing that trading Kovalev and Auld for late picks turned into Stone and Dzingel. Now a 5th is nothing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
A week ago we were laughing that trading Kovalev and Auld for late picks turned into Stone and Dzingel. Now a 5th is nothing.

Okay, 2 people I guess.

Gotta do what you gotta do, man. Rolling with two AHL guys is dumb, especially given we are 6-3 and look like we could be a pretty good team this season.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

Maybe that's just a testament that the value is in the scouts that can find players in many rounds....not just the 5th round....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It is nothing ,how often does a 5th turn out like that ??Also how long will it take for that very same prospect to develop into anything ??5 ,6 years from now

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
So we exchange a 5th for a back-up who still have potential to grow. Last year was his 1st year in the NHL

Sounds good to me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

What should we have done instead.

I am sure you understand the current situation in Ottawa and Bingo..What is a better solution?

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown

6gh.gif

We clearly should have claimed Condon, and carried 3 goalies all year without knowing if we'd need him at all.

Potentially sitting a 3rd goalie in the pressbox all year and carrying an extra body for potentially no reason at all is clearly excellent asset management.

I never suggested we should've have claimed him off waivers....I only stated that he was placed on waivers a month ago.

If we could've been more patient and given Driedger a chance...we could have weathered the storm until another team had to put a goalie on waivers in the next month(for roster/cap reasons)...and by that point we would know full well if Driedger was capable at this point or not.

Have to love Condon's league minimum cap hit though!:sarcasm:

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan

Stone and Dzingel are obvious outliers. Ya, generally speaking, a 5th is nothing. Here are two groupings of our 5th rounders since 2000. Three have panned out so far and become impact NHLers. 17 have not. 5th rounders generally don't pan out. Condon is already a decent backup.

Greg Zanon
Boro
Hoffman

Grant Potulny
Sean Connolly
Stefan Schauer
Brock Hooton
Tim Cook
Sergei Gimayev
Alex Nikulin
Jim McKenzie
Roman Wick
Tomas Kudelka
Ryan Daniels
Jeff Costello
Robbie Baillargeon
Vincent Dunn
Christian Jaros
Max Lajoie
Claesson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I never suggested we should've have claimed him off waivers....I only stated that he was placed on waivers a month ago.

If we could've been more patient and given Driedger a chance...we could have weathered the storm until another team had to put a goalie on waivers in the next month(for roster/cap reasons)...and by that point we would know full well if Driedger was capable at this point or not.

Have to love Condon's league minimum cap hit though!:sarcasm:

What about your farm team... let them rot ...with no AHL goal tending.. Hard to develop prospects if you can't keep the puck out of your net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad