TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
We can't get because of organization rules and that he's a hot commodity. If people feel he's waiting for us they are sadly mistaken. Other teams have so much more potential like the oilers who are filled with 1st overall picks.

Teams not actively looking for a coach will check on Babcock, lots of GMs will want to know his angle.

In the end Babcock will go where he want to go. But the Habs should definitely have a chat with him if they are still an organisation with a tradition of excellence.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Overrated coach, He's perfect for Toronto. If datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't called top 10 players in the league, its mainly his fault. but who cares, people can glorify him and praise him for his ''intangibles''. yeah we'd sweep all teams standing between us and the cup with him, yadda yadda.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Overrated coach, He's perfect for Toronto. If datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't called top 10 players in the league, its mainly his fault. but who cares, people can glorify him and praise him for his ''intangibles''. yeah we'd sweep all teams standing between us and the cup with him, yadda yadda.

He's massively overrated. People assume that Babcock would be successful in any market or team.

Reality is, he's a great coach but the team still needs to be a good team and the market/team still need to be a fit.

Guys like Quenneville weren't the cream of the crop types. He was good but not like OMG QUENNEVILLE and now look, 2 cups with the hawks who are now in the final 4....again.

We need our quenneville and people assume it's babcock but it might be Boucher or it might be someone who hasn't shown up yet. Who knows.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I don't know too many coaches whose team could make the playoffs while 4 of their top 6 forwards each missed between 25 and 37 games due to injury like Babcock did in 2014. Plus, Alfredsson missed 14 games. Oh, and Ericsson, a top 4 D missed like half the season.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Real world. something tells me you dont live in it.

in business, people get hired to replace people all the time.

Real world, are you kidding me...

In the real world you don't have to fire your current coach before hiring a new one.

If this is such a common practice, you boys certainly won't have any difficulties showing me just one example of a NHL team hiring a second coach before the first one was demoted ? Or even firing their own coach just to get in the derby for another coach ? I will accept any article/memory hinting that such a practice has even happened at the NHL level.

When teams demote their coaches, they do it because they are not satisfied with the results. They never do it to go after a big fish.

If an owner goes to his GM and tells him to do his best to sign the best coach in hockey, the GM will do it. The GM's job is to ice the best possible roster and to hire the best possible coaching staff. If it means firing a winning coach to hire the best coach of this generation, then he'll do it.

But have you ever seen it happen ?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Hall, McDavid, RNH, Eberle, Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom

If Chiarelli can move someone like Yakupov+ and fill a hole or two, I truly believe Edmonton isn't too far off from turning it around, with that much talent its hard not to. The oldest of the above players is 24 to boot.

Add to that the strong Canadian/Team Canada connection and I wouldn't be surprised to see Babcock in Edmonton.

You've obviously never been to Edmonton. There is a reason why Pronger wanted out and that other ufa abandoned his deal. Its freaking cold in Edmonton and not much for your FAM to do. It would take probably an offer north of $10m to get Babcock to go to Edmonton.

PricePkPatch*

Therrien is god in bergys eyes. nothing will be done so no bother discussing.

Its a transition year after all. Just another bs excuse.

if you have a chance to get the best you go for it especially when it doesnt hurt your roster but realistically no chance mb even tries.

I feel dumber for reading that post.

Starting strong with

Therrien is god in bergys eyes

A statement that would usually require an entire post to adress. And then

Its a transition year after all. Just another bs excuse.

Which is nonsensical nonsense. YES i know its a pleonasm, my brain refused to analyze the sentence further.

if you have a chance to get the best you go for it especially when it doesnt hurt your roster

But it DOES hurt us. How much of a classless jackass organisation would we look like if we fire a winning-record coach?

How could Babcock himself trust this organisation not to double-cross him? After all, its not like basic morality stopped us from disposing of a winning coach when it was convenient.

Bergevin's reputation would be ruined.

It doesnt happen in the business world. In the business world, you give a job of deputy-something to the person you want to have, then wait until the right.opportunity to let go of the person you want to fire.

Ya think Babcock wants to be assistant coach until Therrien has a bad strech?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
But it DOES hurt us. How much of a classless jackass organisation would we look like if we fire a winning-record coach?

How could Babcock himself trust this organisation not to double-cross him? After all, its not like basic morality stopped us from disposing of a winning coach when it was convenient.

Bergevin's reputation would be ruined.

It doesnt happen in the business world. In the business world, you give a job of deputy-something to the person you want to have, then wait until the right.opportunity to let go of the person you want to fire.

Ya think Babcock wants to be assistant coach until Therrien has a bad strech?

I've been told that in the real world of the NHL this happens all the time. GM fire perfectly good competent coaches just to replace them with someone they perceive to be better. :sarcasm:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Out of those teams only Detroit is a contender. So if he were to go to a non-contender team then why not Toronto? they have money to burn as aways.

Didn't he say something to the effect that Detroit wasn't as well positioned to win a cup because there was nobody ready to fill Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen's shoes? With no high end talent coming in for the next 5 years and with those guys on the decline, if he wants another shot at the cup, it will be with another team I think.

PricePkPatch*

I've been told that in the real world of the NHL this happens all the time. GM fire perfectly good competent coaches just to replace them with someone they perceive to be better. :sarcasm:

The argument is moronic. Even in the business world, you DO NOT fire someone with a winning record just because you have someone lined uo to take his place.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
You've obviously never been to Edmonton. There is a reason why Pronger wanted out and that other ufa abandoned his deal. Its freaking cold in Edmonton and not much for your FAM to do. It would take probably an offer north of $10m to get Babcock to go to Edmonton.

Or the fact they could be the next Chicago in the making. Babcock alone will start to attract some UFAs. Edmonton had no issues drawing players when they were winning. They just have been a joke for nearly a decade. Frankly, Edmonton is where I think Babcock goes.

PricePkPatch*

Or the fact they could be the next Chicago in the making. Babcock alone will start to attract some UFAs. Edmonton had no issues drawing players when they were winning. They just have been a joke for nearly a decade. Frankly, Edmonton is where I think Babcock goes.

Chiarelli + Babcock would change the league's perception of the Oilers, for sure.

I think the problem is: how much control does Babcock wants to have over the player acquisition process?

Chiarelli doesnt strike me as the sort of GM who let his coach run things.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He's massively overrated. People assume that Babcock would be successful in any market or team.

Reality is, he's a great coach but the team still needs to be a good team and the market/team still need to be a fit.

Guys like Quenneville weren't the cream of the crop types. He was good but not like OMG QUENNEVILLE and now look, 2 cups with the hawks who are now in the final 4....again.

We need our quenneville and people assume it's babcock but it might be Boucher or it might be someone who hasn't shown up yet. Who knows.

I wouldn't say Babcock is overrated (personally I think coaching in hockey in general is overrated but that's a discussion for another time) but fans of teams with terrible rosters (Oilers, Leafs) expecting him to come in and turn trash into gold could be in for a severe letdown. He's a fine coach but not a miracle worker. And like you said, the fit is the most important thing. If his style doesn't fit with the players on the team he goes to, it's just not going to work.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
It really hurt me to say this but I beleive Babcock will go to Boston.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If this is such a common practice, you boys certainly won't have any difficulties showing me just one example of a NHL team hiring a second coach before the first one was demoted ? Or even firing their own coach just to get in the derby for another coach ? I will accept any article/memory hinting that such a practice has even happened at the NHL level.

When teams demote their coaches, they do it because they are not satisfied with the results. They never do it to go after a big fish.

The Caps fired Bruce Boudreau on November 28, 2011.

The Ducks fired Randy Carlyle on December 1, 2011, and hired Boudreau the same day. Four days' difference.

Not saying the Habs would/should do it, but there is precedent.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Hasn't even made it past the 2nd round in 6 years, can't believe how overhyped he gets. He won a cup like 8 years ago with a team stacked with guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Hudler, Franzen, Filpulla, Kronwall etc. and has been incredibly overrated since.

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
Chiarelli + Babcock would change the league's perception of the Oilers, for sure.

I think the problem is: how much control does Babcock wants to have over the player acquisition process?

Chiarelli doesnt strike me as the sort of GM who let his coach run things.

I think it Detroit Kenny Holland has full control with some input from Babock.
I think it will be the same in Edmonton.

Daryl Katz has to give him a 5 yr $30M contract to convince him as other teams will sure give him 5 yr $25M.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Detroit fans on the main board are describing Babcock the same way we describe Therrien. Interesting.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Detroit fans on the main board are describing Babcock the same way we describe Therrien. Interesting.

Make no mistake, he loves his grinders (as most coaches do). Drove Wings fans crazy for years playing guys like Cleary and Abdelkader with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Make no mistake, he loves his grinders (as most coaches do). Drove Wings fans crazy for years playing guys like Cleary and Abdelkader with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I just saw a coach who tactically coached circles around Cooper in the first round, and if not for a roster severely less than Tampa, would have won that series. Cooper had no answer.

Then again, Tampa hasn't had any answer for Montreal 5 on 5. If not for goal posts and the PP would be down, so maybe it's Cooper? I don't know. Either way, I don't like Therrien and it's hard to argue against Stanley Cups and gold medals.

Side note: Not surprising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad