TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Word is, Buffalo is out of the bidding war. Leafs, SJS, STL & Detroit no trying to outbid eachother. Unreal.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think Babcock is the or at least one of the best coaches in the game. I'd prefer him to MT and hold him in very high regard.

That being said, this is ducking ridiculous. He's a coach. Like ALL coaches, his message will eventually get tired and players will eventually tune him out. Other coaches will adapt to his strategies as they already have in the past and render his system ineffective.

Coaching is important and can add a couple of points in the standings every year but come on. This much fanfare and money thrown at a guy who hasn't made it past the 1st or 2nd round in years (2009?) is just another way NHL owners are making it harder on themselves. Babcock should be the highest paid coach, just not twice as much as the next highest paid coach.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think Babcock is the or at least one of the best coaches in the game. I'd prefer him to MT and hold him in very high regard.

That being said, this is ducking ridiculous. He's a coach. Like ALL coaches, his message will eventually get tired and players will eventually tune him out. Other coaches will adapt to his strategies as they already have in the past and render his system ineffective.

Coaching is important and can add a couple of points in the standings every year but come on. This much fanfare and money thrown at a guy who hasn't made it past the 1st or 2nd round in years (2009?) is just another way NHL owners are making it harder on themselves. Babcock should be the highest paid coach, just not twice as much as the next highest paid coach.

That pretty much sums it up.

Giving a coach a 5-6 year 25-30 mil contract is backing yourself into a corner as an owner/GM. With that type of money, suddenly the coach holds a lot of cards and firing him requires you to pay that guy 15-20 mil just to stay home.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Sources say Mike Babcock has been hired by the Maple Leafs. Mammoth 8 yr contract believed to be around $50 million. ....

End Of Thread :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad