Player Discussion Mikael Granlund VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

J22*

I wouldn't call him a passenger at all the past few games. Sure, he has no points, but that line... including due to Granlund's play, have spent the majority of their time in the offensive zone, whilst being the primary target for opposing defenders from Anaheim, St.Louis and Nashville... grabbing momentum that then carries into the next line and leads to goals and wins.

Just because they didn't score, doesn't mean they didn't make an impact.

That is what I see when Granlund isn't playing well. When he does, that line flat out dominates and wins games by itself. I have no desire to see Granlund taken off of that line, I'm just done making excuses for the kid. He needs to play better for the Wild to get to where they want to be. There is no way you can spin it to make it acceptable for Coyle to have more points than he does right now.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That is what I see when Granlund isn't playing well. When he does, that line flat out dominates and wins games by itself. I have no desire to see Granlund taken off of that line, I'm just done making excuses for the kid. He needs to play better for the Wild to get to where they want to be. There is no way you can spin it to make it acceptable for Coyle to have more points than he does right now.

No line can get it done all season long, but as long as they still have positive impact and gain momentum for the team they are still playing well.

Every line is going to have a few games without points. It's the GOOD teams that have other lines that can get the points when they aren't.

As for Coyle having more points... you realize the sheer amount of games played difference right? Granlund is scoring .54 pts/game, Coyle is at .44pts game! Had Granlund not broken his wrist, and played 70 games thus far he'd have 7 more points than Coyle.

J22*

No line can get it done all season long, but as long as they still have positive impact and gain momentum for the team they are still playing well.

Every line is going to have a few games without points. It's the GOOD teams that have other lines that can get the points when they aren't.

As for Coyle having more points... you realize the sheer amount of games played difference right? Granlund is scoring .54 pts/game, Coyle is at .44pts game! Had Granlund not broken his wrist, and played 70 games thus far he'd have 7 more points than Coyle.

Check the minutes played, factor in linemates and the role they're given and get back to me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Check the minutes played, factor in linemates and the role they're given and get back to me.

Factor in the defense Granlund faces compared to Coyle and get back to me. There's a reason Niederreiter scores more goals on the 3rd line than he does the 2nd.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
It's true Granlund hasn't been at his best during the last few here. He has that special level in him where he creates a scoring chance after scoring chance. Hope it's not a hidden injury.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How is he looking lately?

The chemistry that he and Poms had last year is gone. I blame Poms more than him, but...

I think that line needs more size. Having Parise being the " beast" is just wrong. Don't know what to do about it, as the other lines are looking good and I would hate to break them up. Parise can take care of himself, but he shouldn't be put in the position of having to protect Poms and Granlund.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
The chemistry that he and Poms had last year is gone. I blame Poms more than him, but...

I think that line needs more size. Having Parise being the " beast" is just wrong. Don't know what to do about it, as the other lines are looking good and I would hate to break them up. Parise can take care of himself, but he shouldn't be put in the position of having to protect Poms and Granlund.

Tuch will be perfect for that role down the line.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Besides Coyle, Granlund has been the biggest disappointment of the season. I would think that by now he would be reaching the 60 point mark given the talent on the team. He's too talented to only have 38 points on the season. Before and after his wrist injury doesn't look too different: 4 goals, 11 assists in 33 games, 4 goals, 19 assists in 34 games. He got a few more assists but the team was also playing much better. Next year is a make or break year for him. I think he'll get a 2 year bridge contract and if he doesn't hit at least 60 or projected to hit 60, Granlund may not be around too much longer.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Besides Coyle, Granlund has been the biggest disappointment of the season. I would think that by now he would be reaching the 60 point mark given the talent on the team. He's too talented to only have 38 points on the season. Before and after his wrist injury doesn't look too different: 4 goals, 11 assists in 33 games, 4 goals, 19 assists in 34 games. He got a few more assists but the team was also playing much better. Next year is a make or break year for him. I think he'll get a 2 year bridge contract and if he doesn't hit at least 60 or projected to hit 60, Granlund may not be around too much longer.
You don't see much difference between 15pts in 33 games and 24pts in 34 games? Really? No difference between .45pts/game and .70pts/game?!?!

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
You don't see much difference between 15pts in 33 games and 24pts in 34 games? Really? No difference between .45pts/game and .70pts/game?!?!

I think the point is that Granlund has 39 points over 67 games and those numbers are not good enough for a #1 C in the NHL.His performance in the face off circle has also not been that good.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the point is that Granlund has 39 points over 67 games and those numbers are not good enough for a #1 C in the NHL.His performance in the face off circle has also not been that good.
Yes, but he's clearly improving, and he's only 22yrs old. He's not even close to his peak yet. At times Granlund is great in the circle, other times he sucks... he needs to get consistency there, but again, that will also come with time.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Granlund's been getting better at FOs. Hasn't had a sub-.500 game since the Islanders game on March 24, won the draw that led to Pominville's goal tonight. In the last 7 games he's had 4 games with double digit FO wins, and only 1 with double digit losses (.565 that game).

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I've often wondered why the +/- stats are not that appreciated in North America. To my mind Granlund is surprisingly good with his +18 which would indicate that at least his defensive game has improved (though of course he is expected to shine in the points statistics which he clearly hasn't yet). I've not really seen much of his play this year, so it might be that the stats are just misleading.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Yes, but he's clearly improving, and he's only 22yrs old. He's not even close to his peak yet. At times Granlund is great in the circle, other times he sucks... he needs to get consistency there, but again, that will also come with time.

Has he really improved that much from last year? Sure he's young and will probably get better but he's the #1 C now and he needs to be good enough now, not in 2 or 3 years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

.68 points and not really. The team was doing better and scoring more goals, so it's only natural that Granlund would pick up some of those points. The goals are more of a concern. Coyle even started picking up in the 2nd half.

His 15 points in 33 games would be around 31 points. So, he scored only 7 points more than projected? Even if he had .68 points for the 67 games, it would only be 46 points.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
.68 points and not really. The team was doing better and scoring more goals, so it's only natural that Granlund would pick up some of those points. The goals are more of a concern. Coyle even started picking up in the 2nd half.

His 15 points in 33 games would be around 31 points. So, he scored only 7 points more than projected? Even if he had .68 points for the 67 games, it would only be 46 points.
CC has no stick. He's better in board battles, but bottom 6 should be. Just watch his puck handling. It's brutal. Worst forward on the team in that regards. MG is so much better with the puck. You can't compare these two by numbers. Completely different. I love them both.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Has he really improved that much from last year? Sure he's young and will probably get better but he's the #1 C now and he needs to be good enough now, not in 2 or 3 years.

You're too impatient. Ryan Kesler wasn't a great point producer at center overnight, yet he was the Canucks #2 guy when they were making playoff runs. First 3 seasons... 23pts, 13pts, 37pts.

Granlund is ahead of that curve already as our #2 guy.

No matter how much you want to compare him to other centers in their prime... you have to wait for that player to actually REACH their prime!

2nd half run last year Granlund was scoring a .54pts/gm pace, this year down the stretch it's .70pts/gm pace. If he didn't start slow, you wouldn't be complaining about his points total at all.
You can't start the development, and then say... screw it, we can't wait for you and move on... because you would absolutely DESTROY your Salary Cap! Be patient! Let your player develop! Granlund is developing just fine!

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
PHP:

So basically you are saying that if he's not our leading scorer next year he may not be around much longer?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
PHP:

So basically you are saying that if he's not our leading scorer next year he may not be around much longer?

I don't think he's noticing the drop in scoring across the league... and even though the Wild are on the verge of scoring the most goals in a season they ever have... point totals aren't as high, because that scoring is more spread out through the lineup.

Top line players are around ~50pts these days. 60-70+ is an elite top line player in today's league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad