Player Discussion Mikael Granlund VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
You can most definitely improve by practicing faceoffs. To be good on the dot, it's more than just timing...there's a lot of technique around body positioning, which hand to use, leverage, etc. based on the situation.

If that's the case, it would be awesome if Granlund could get his faceoff ability where Yeo would be comfortable using him any time. Then you could put him comfortably on the PP1.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah Granlund really needs help at faceoffs, should get some mentoring from Koivu if he isn't already.

I think he's been pretty good at faceoffs lately....Kevin Gorg was doing a pre-game interview with him a few weeks ago and he said something like Granlund was close to 60% in the circle going back to mid-January or beginning of Feb.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think he's been pretty good at faceoffs lately....Kevin Gorg was doing a pre-game interview with him a few weeks ago and he said something like Granlund was close to 60% in the circle going back to mid-January or beginning of Feb.

Just going off his last 5 games.

42.9%

35.3%

50%

15.4% (!!!)

41.7%

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
Wasn't his faceoff numbers part of the reason some people here were hoping Granlund would end up a wing and not a center?

Outside the faceoff dot, he plays a centers game. He's been really impressive in all three zones for about a month now

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Wasn't his faceoff numbers part of the reason some people here were hoping Granlund would end up a wing and not a center?

It was also his size that had some people concerned; if he was able to handle the rigors of being a defensive forward for the Wild.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
The thing I love most about Granlund (and there's a lot I love) but when watching highlights of his, every time he scores he gets so excited and you can tell he loves hockey and it's so fun to watch

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The thing I love most about Granlund (and there's a lot I love) but when watching highlights of his, every time he scores he gets so excited and you can tell he loves hockey and it's so fun to watch

This is one reason I love Zach and Zucker. I hadn't really noticed it with Granny though before.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
That has nothing with the celeberation. Some players simply celebrate more than others, and those who generally celebrate more probably do it even more visibly in their first years of pro playing.

See countryman and veteran Jussi Jokinen for an example, everytime he scores he does his celebration like it is his 1st NHL goal. And then some players are just "ok, I scored, nice", barely even smiling.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's having a down year... was 52% last year, 47% this year. He's still growing as a player.

As for the 18% tonight... every player has bad nights. Even Koivu has had horrendous days on the dot. He's just gotten back to form the 2nd half this year. Early in the year, he was inconsistent from one game to the next.

I won't fret an 18% night from Granlund in a game we won... if we lost, that'd be a different story. ;)

In Feb Granlund was AWESOME on the dot! He's just got to learn consistency.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He's having a down year... was 52% last year, 47% this year. He's still growing as a player.

As for the 18% tonight... every player has bad nights. Even Koivu has had horrendous days on the dot. He's just gotten back to form the 2nd half this year. Early in the year, he was inconsistent from one game to the next.

I won't fret an 18% night from Granlund in a game we won... if we lost, that'd be a different story. ;)

In Feb Granlund was AWESOME on the dot! He's just got to learn consistency.

Koivu should be teaching him some things, except maybe not how to get thrown out of the draw every other faceoff :laugh:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
He's had a few bad games now to add his FO% incompetensy. He doesn't move his feet and plays slow overall.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
67% last night

And Granlund is +16 for the season. He definitely doesn't play slow. He just plays the kind of game you want your center to play. He always gets all the way back to be an outlet for his teammates as they break out down the ice.

There's a reason our two leading point scorers are on Granlund's line and love playing with him. If that lines gets a goal and Granlund wasn't apart of it you can basically count on him still having been a huge part of the play.

J22*

67% last night

And Granlund is +16 for the season. He definitely doesn't play slow. He just plays the kind of game you want your center to play. He always gets all the way back to be an outlet for his teammates as they break out down the ice.

There's a reason our two leading point scorers are on Granlund's line and love playing with him. If that lines gets a goal and Granlund wasn't apart of it you can basically count on him still having been a huge part of the play.

That reason really isn't a positive when arguing in Granlunds defense.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I think he could use a little more fire in his game - when he plays like that, he is very good.

Wonder if he is nursing an injury, because he does seem a bit tentative of late.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
That reason really isn't a positive when arguing in Granlunds defense.

It is when you realize that Granlund's line has the two highest scorers and they are rarely scored on--largely due to Granlund's defensive play.

To make it simple...his line scores the most and is scored upon the least. Both are good.

J22*

It is when you realize that Granlund's line has the two highest scorers and they are rarely scored on--largely due to Granlund's defensive play.

To make it simple...his line scores the most and is scored upon the least. Both are good.

The bolded is exactly the reason why Parise plays with Granlund, despite the fact that stats show that Parise is more productive with Koivu.

Granlund is back to being a passenger on that line the last handful of games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The bolded is exactly the reason why Parise plays with Granlund, despite the fact that stats show that Parise is more productive with Koivu.

Granlund is back to being a passenger on that line the last handful of games.

I wouldn't call him a passenger at all the past few games. Sure, he has no points, but that line... including due to Granlund's play, have spent the majority of their time in the offensive zone, whilst being the primary target for opposing defenders from Anaheim, St.Louis and Nashville... grabbing momentum that then carries into the next line and leads to goals and wins.

Just because they didn't score, doesn't mean they didn't make an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad