Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEALLKNOWING*

Granlund should be in Houston right now. If it's a situation that we can't find room for him in the lineup and he's on the fourth line...he should be getting 20+ minutes down in Houston.

Do you really think the Wild would do it considering the hype has been building for several years with MG, and he was anointed to be on the team this year? His play, Suter taking a while to get up to speed, Parise on and off. Kind of a public relations nightmare. Then again, no one cares about that if they are wining.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Do you really think the Wild would do it considering the hype has been building for several years with MG, and he was anointed to be on the team this year? His play, Suter taking a while to get up to speed, Parise on and off. Kind of a public relations nightmare. Then again, no one cares about that if they are wining.

If they are making decisions based on PR then everyone associated with that decision needs to be fired.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

They should, regardless of the media. MiG becoming the player this team needs should be higher on their list of priorities than pleasing the media. This organization brought it all on itself by building the ridiculous hype, but the team or Granlund himself shouldn't be the ones who end up paying the price.

Ville231

Dec 7, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
There's no reward punishment factor IMO...if he's not a good fit in the top six, that's fine, but don't stick him on the fourth line like we did with James Sheppard and Benoit Pouliot.

Maybe so, but I think he deserves a one chance in the top line, just like coyle did. With Koivu and Parise. I dont think granlund has been given a fair chance. He's had to center guys like seto and cullen who were just killing his game early on. And heater...all i can say is that guy is nowhere near the guy who scored multiple 40 & 50 goal seasons in atlanta & ottawa. You can just look at Heatleys summer training from the "Becoming Wild"-clip. That man is not a professional athlete. If Granlund is not good enought in the first line, then they may send him to houston for big minutes.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Does nobody think he was put on the 4th line because he had, or could have had, flu like symptoms?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Granny is definitely showing progress, which is the next best thing to just slotting into space immediately. Kid is smart, and you can tell his decision making process is getting fine tuned-tuned as he's quicker every game, even bad ones.

Why 4th line vs Detroit? I don't know, but I thought the last game vs Detroit was his worst of the season (IMO) where he really got tossed around, had the puck taken from him, and was generally just outclassed out there. could be a psychological aspect to the decision.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I don't know why he was slotted in the 4th line, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. It was one game.

I think the best spot for him would be 2nd/3rd line. If he isn't good enough on those lines, send him to Houston. No reason to rush him and ruin him.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That's the thing--and i said this about Brodin after his draft year, too--I think a certain kind of player cannot be ruined by reduced minutes. Granny and Brodin are hockey-intelligent and I think they'd a) understand why they were playing where they were, and b) focused on getting what the could out of it.

AHL was too much easy mode for Granny.

Eagle Claw

Jan 25, 2013
Finland
When wild finally has 4 legit lines you dont screw with them unless they are playing bad

That means granlund waiting for his chance on the 4th line and trading butch for an solid defense prospect like depres or määttä with some add ons going pits way
Butch is gone next summer so he's not that valuable anyway ,why prolong the "divorce"?
wild needs to keep introducing the prospects so that they can evaluate their assets and make a plan were to get the missing pieces

If granny is still not playing well enough in an month then send him to aeros, now having an 2 line winger/center on "reserve" on 3-4th line can only be an advantage if the 4th line starts to chip in a goal or two here and there

Injuries will happen the lady luck with injuries this season is not eternal

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Kid is improving. That's all I'm looking for at this point. He'll eventually win back the 2nd line center role.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Granlund played fine. My own personal belief is Yeo is trying to get him faceoffs he can win instead of against Zetterberg/Datsuyk. He still needs to work on it and 4th line minutes is a great way of accomplishing that.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Are you f-in kidding me?

The first line has been lackluster to say the least, they get most of their points on PP, but other than that they have been quite bad. Even last game, the firstline goal was good work by Pärisee and Koivu, but Heatley more or less faned on a shot which luckely found its way into the goal.

2nd line looked great? One good rush due to the Red Wings defence ******** the bed. Zucker looked like he had alot of speed and jump, but other than his awesome goal I saw nothing to proclaime that 2nd line to be anything other than "decent".

Larsson looekd great? What game were you watching? He did more or less nothing the whole game.

Look, I do not mind them on the team, but if you want to make a case for them over Granlund on the 2nd and 3rd line, you should have an argument more grounded in reality.

Okay...so if everyone on the first line is lackluster
Zucker is nothing special
Larsson did nothing
I'm guessing your not a fan on Cullen or Setoguchi either...

Now who the hell plays with Granlund now? :handclap:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I never claimed you said that, but you seem to see it as the best option. And I didn't suggest breaking up any line, which is why I said that if you want to keep all those lines together, the best way to act would be to send Granlund down, not play him on the 4th line. He's not the one who's left to man the 4th line as you say, he's the odd man out in this case and has no place on the team in its current form.

I never said it was a best option, all I did was pose a question to those that are upset he is on the fourth line.

If you don't want to send him down, and you don't want him on the fourth line, tell me which line you want to break up, because personally, I think the first line's solid and Zucker going into the 2nd line gave it a jolt of energy and one I want to keep seeing. Larsson did real well with our two best PKers, pinning plays against the boards and stopping plays.

If you want him up somewhere, you need to break one of these lines up, which all looked quite good against Detroit.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Are you f-in kidding me?

The first line has been lackluster to say the least, they get most of their points on PP, but other than that they have been quite bad. Even last game, the firstline goal was good work by Pärisee and Koivu, but Heatley more or less faned on a shot which luckely found its way into the goal.

2nd line looked great? One good rush due to the Red Wings defence ******** the bed. Zucker looked like he had alot of speed and jump, but other than his awesome goal I saw nothing to proclaime that 2nd line to be anything other than "decent".

Larsson looekd great? What game were you watching? He did more or less nothing the whole game.

Look, I do not mind them on the team, but if you want to make a case for them over Granlund on the 2nd and 3rd line, you should have an argument more grounded in reality.

Parise = 12 points (5 PP points)
Koivu = 12 points (5 PP points)
Heatley = 9 points (3 PP points)

EDIT: Wrong numbers at first, but honestly, its still not bad.

Last edited:

RxDangles19

Jun 28, 2011
Duluth, MN
Granlund played fine. My own personal belief is Yeo is trying to get him faceoffs he can win instead of against Zetterberg/Datsuyk. He still needs to work on it and 4th line minutes is a great way of accomplishing that.

Faceoffs? He just won about 80% of his draws the previous game so that's ludicrous. He needs good players around him that can anticipate and finish amazing passes, not fourth liners. Yeo is losing it

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Faceoffs? He just won about 80% of his draws the previous game so that's ludicrous. He needs good players around him that can anticipate and finish amazing passes, not fourth liners. Yeo is losing it

60% actually so you are right in the sense that he is excellent on the faceoffs. But we did put him with decent players with Cullen and Setoguchi (at the very least, our 2nd most offensive players behind the obvious top line)

Look, Granlund has all the potential in the world, and he is starting to figure it out.

But the mistakes he makes is not a line problem, it is just getting used to the North American style of hockey. He needs to keep his feet moving, he needs to drive into the zone, he needs to battle along the boards.

These problems will be the same, no matter if it is Rupp or Parise playing alongside him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Not sure how putting Granlund on the fourth line with grinders is going to help his development. Help develop him into a grinder maybe? It's one thing when he's on the fourth line with a good faceoff guy and another quasi skill player in Seto, another thing completely when he's playing with two pure grinders.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It doesn't. So CF/Yeo has to make a decision. Break up some of the lines that worked against Detroit for the sake of Granlund's future, or send him down and keep the lines that work, for the sake of the 2013 season.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It doesn't. So CF/Yeo has to make a decision. Break up some of the lines that worked against Detroit for the sake of Granlund's future, or send him down and keep the lines that work, for the sake of the 2013 season.

You're putting an awful lot of stock on a single game. I think it's way too early to tell if the 2nd/3rd lines used last night should stick or not. I don't think they'll stick, because PMB will most likely be able to play again on Thursday and I don't see them leaving him in the press box. Like I've already said multiple times, if there's no use for Granlund in the top lines, send him down for both his own and for the team's sake. The difference between you and me here is that I'm not nearly as convinced as you are that those lines should stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad