Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
meh ... still not impressed

Rookie's don't have to be "impressive" to be on the right track. He's playing a solid NHL game right now, and is steadily improving. As long as he is "impressive" when he gets to where he should be as a player in the long run is all that really matters. ;)

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Thi kid really is getting better and better, he's really solid right now on faceoffs too and like what I am seeing him in his response right now.

Billy Mays Here*

Yeah if he can keep this play up I see no reason to move him to the wing again. He's definitely been more noticeable than Cullen lately.

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
I'm not a Wild fan, just one of the hordes of finns who watch Wild games to see how Granlunds doing.... Even though I may be biased and not have the Wilds interest at heart, I can't understand what Yeo is doing with MG. He plays his best games of the season, and gets rewarded with 4th line duties with two stiffs and given what seemed like 8 minutes of ice time(haven't checked the exact TOI). He's had an assist in three consecutive games now, and if Yeo doesn't give him a more prominent role on Thurday, I'd rather see him sent down to Houston. Sure, Granlund didn't do much to earn tonights assist, but he did have two other passes that better linemates would have finished on with a better percentage, so I feel the stats have been reflective of his on-ice play. There is no way guys like Cullen or Brodziak should be getting a more prominent offensive role than MG.

Also, even though he has looked better at center recently, I'd still like to see him on the wing, because he is horrible at defending at this point of his career.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
I'm not a Wild fan, just one of the hordes of finns who watch Wild games to see how Granlunds doing.... Even though I may be biased and not have the Wilds interest at heart, I can't understand what Yeo is doing with MG. He plays his best games of the season, and gets rewarded with 4th line duties with two stiffs and given what seemed like 8 minutes of ice time(haven't checked the exact TOI). He's had an assist in three consecutive games now, and if Yeo doesn't give him a more prominent role on Thurday, I'd rather see him sent down to Houston. Sure, Granlund didn't do much to earn tonights assist, but he did have two other passes that better linemates would have finished on with a better percentage, so I feel the stats have been reflective of his on-ice play. There is no way guys like Cullen or Brodziak should be getting a more prominent offensive role than MG.

Also, even though he has looked better at center recently, I'd still like to see him on the wing, because he is horrible at defending at this point of his career.

Exactly the same reason i follow the Wild for me and i fully agree about Granny deserving a spot in the top 6.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I was kinda suprised he didn't get promoted during the game. He was really in the zone with his play. Used his body well and had a couple of beautiful passes = behind the back for Rupp and straight from the boards for Mitchell who had a glorious opportunity. I thought it was quite funny that Wild announcers didn't even notice those :help:

Anyway, his role doesn't seem to be connected to his actions in any way.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is what I find funny. Everyone was screaming and whining about Yeo placing Granlund on the fourth line and scratching him. And yet Granlund came out and played harder and better on the fourth line and after being scratched. And Granlund looked as good tonight as ever. But the thing is, he's not asked to do too much on the 4th line. And that's the big key I think in his development. Cullen and Brodziak probably get the nod over Granlund because they are veterans. Yes, both of them aren't having good seasons but they aren't going to get overwhelmed. We threw Granlund into the fire and he responded terribly to the responsibility. Not to mention that we had one scoring line and the second line was doing absolutely nothing, which was not only Granlund but a few other players. Yeo probably understood this, recognized it and adjusted accordingly. Granlund should be on the 4th line, if he's going to stay at center. Let the kid learn and grow without adding the immense burden of generating offense. It's not going to hurt his development to stay there a few games, maybe bump him up to 3rd line and see how he's developing. But the fact is, we had huge expectations (not us, but the Wild organization) for Granlund and he floundered. They had to pull back the reins a bit, adjust and let Granlund acclimate to his new environment and putting him next to character guys like Rupp and Mitchell and Konopka is probably the best for his development, so that not only does he get used to moving his feet, learning to make his beautiful passes, but has guys that'll keep people from breathing down his neck. Yes, Rupp, Mitchell, Konopka aren't great offensively, but for now, let Granlund develop his game and then we can start developing his offense a bit more. What is worse is pairing up Granlund with a guy like Seto and have two guys fail miserably.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
If you want Granlund to be promoted, who would you take off from the other lines?

Parise - Koivu - Heatley have been work. No matter how much I, or some, prefer for Heatley not to be there, something is clicking and working. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Jason Zucker-Matt Cullen-Devin Setoguchi. Personally, I loved their hustle. They worked very well together tonight.

Johan Larsson-Kyle Brodziak-Cal Clutterbuck. Great checking line with a dash of offense.

That leaves Granlund manning the 4th line.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you want Granlund to be promoted, who would you take off from the other lines?

Parise - Koivu - Heatley have been work. No matter how much I, or some, prefer for Heatley not to be there, something is clicking and working. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Jason Zucker-Matt Cullen-Devin Setoguchi. Personally, I loved their hustle. They worked very well together tonight.

Johan Larsson-Kyle Brodziak-Cal Clutterbuck. Great checking line with a dash of offense.

That's a good point as well.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012

Granlund has been better than both Cullen and Brodziak. An argument could also be to finally separate Koivu and Parise. The only 2 forwards who can actually make something happen by themselves on this team..

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
Granlund has been better than both Cullen and Brodziak. An argument could also be to finally separate Koivu and Parise. The only 2 forwards who can actually make something happen by themselves on this team..

Agreed. Koivu can make Parise shine, but he is also able to make worse players much better. They should use that and give Granlund someone who will actually capitalize on the chances he creates, for example Parise.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Here's the thing. Cullen isn't bad. He isn't good. He's just there. But at least you have a guy that has played over a 1000 games in the NHL. Right now, the only thing Granlund has shown is hot and cold play and getting overwhelmed. I rather have Cullen centering the rook instead of a rook centering a rook. If Granlund wants to swing out to wing and bump everyone down a notch (Setoguchi to the third line and Clutterbuck to the fourth and then scratch Rupp or move Rupp to center) that's fine. I just like where Granlund is because you can tell, he's developing at the right pace.

He could easily replace Larsson or Cullen. I don't see a problem here at all :)

I do.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Do you honestly believe that a prospect of Granlund's level actually benefits from playing under 10 minutes per game with 4th line grinders in the long-term? That can cause his development to stop because he doesn't get the kind of experience a top6 player needs, and unless we've changed our projection from Granlund being a top 6 player to him being a 4th line center, that isn't what we want. If he's the odd man out as you say, then the best place for him is Houston. Instead of wasting a young player on the 4th line, let Konopka do his job with Rupp and Mitchell.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Do you honestly believe that a prospect of Granlund's level actually benefits from playing under 10 minutes per game with 4th line grinders in the long-term? That can cause his development to stop because he doesn't get the kind of experience a top6 player needs, and unless we've changed our projection from Granlund being a top 6 player to him being a 4th line center, that isn't what we want. If he's the odd man out as you say, then the best place for him is Houston. Instead of wasting a young player on the 4th line, let Konopka do his job with Rupp and Mitchell.

I honestly believe I never said that.

If you want Granlund promoted, you'll have to break up those lines. I'm asking, which one do you want broken?

The 1st line with our three leading scorers?
The 2nd line that finally looks great with addition of Zucker; on the forecheck but also good offensively?
The 3rd line that features two of our best PKers + Larsson that was great along the boards?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
At this point I could see him in the AHL if he continued like he started the first few games, he shouldn't be given anything free. How ever he didin't continue like that, and he deserves to be up with how he has improved and also kept that level consistant and kept improving. He is also creating those big scoring changes that we were waiting at the start, at least few of them every night now. They will start to go in sooner or later, and while he has started to produce some offense and creating some chances, it hasn't been at the cost of Defense. I think he should be on that second line. He has also shown that he has the the physics in him already at this point, what it takes to be up, when he bravely uses it and isn't shy like in start.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

If you want Granlund promoted, you'll have to break up those lines. I'm asking, which one do you want broken?

The 2nd line that finally looks great with addition of Zucker; on the forecheck but also good offensively?
The 3rd line that features two of our best PKers + Larsson that was great along the boards?

I never claimed you said that, but you seem to see it as the best option. And I didn't suggest breaking up any line, which is why I said that if you want to keep all those lines together, the best way to act would be to send Granlund down, not play him on the 4th line. He's not the one who's left to man the 4th line as you say, he's the odd man out in this case and has no place on the team in its current form.

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
Meh, 1st line working? Heater is bringing that line so down it's unbelievable. Just because he scored that goal last game shouldn't change that. He's slow, he looks so lazy, no hustle, he doesn't manage to control passes.
I'd at least want to see a few games what MiG could do on a 1st line, when also Parise and Koivu will take the most heat from the opposition team giving MiG more time as well.

But at least he's putting up some points even if he's on the 4th line so I'm fine with trying him out there a couple more games.

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland

If you read what he, and I wrote, you would have noticed that we suggested sending him down to Houston if he isn't warranting of an offensive role on the Wild. For both MG and the Wild, there is no point in having him centering a checking line that plays under 10 minutes/game, because a) MG is not getting to play his game, and b) the Wild suffers by having such a mediocre defender centering a checking line.

I'm still of the opinion that he should be moved to the wing, and stick with that plan for the whole year. Let him bulk up(take roids) in the offseason, and see what he can do at center next year. I'd say try Granlund at RW, and move Heatley to LW, and then you could roll:

Zucker/Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi
Parise-Cullen-Granlund
Heatley/Zucker-Bouchard-Clutterbuck
Rupp-Konopka-Brodziak

If they insist keeping him at center:

Zucker-Koivu-Heatley
Parise-MG-Setoguchi
Brodziak/PMB-Cullen-Clutterbuck
Mitchell/Brodziak-Konopka-Rupp

Or are you really of the opinion that Johan Larsson played such a spectacular game that MG should play 4th line center with two stiffs because of that?

Again, I know I'm not a Wild fan, and I would probably be annoyed if there were some czech Flyers fans who flooded the board with instructions on how to utilize Voracek, so sorry about all of this.....

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012

Are you f-in kidding me?

The first line has been lackluster to say the least, they get most of their points on PP, but other than that they have been quite bad. Even last game, the firstline goal was good work by Pärisee and Koivu, but Heatley more or less faned on a shot which luckely found its way into the goal.

2nd line looked great? One good rush due to the Red Wings defence ******** the bed. Zucker looked like he had alot of speed and jump, but other than his awesome goal I saw nothing to proclaime that 2nd line to be anything other than "decent".

Larsson looekd great? What game were you watching? He did more or less nothing the whole game.

Look, I do not mind them on the team, but if you want to make a case for them over Granlund on the 2nd and 3rd line, you should have an argument more grounded in reality.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
No, he should be back in top 6. I mean, he has been playing his best in the previous 4-5 games, and they reward it with 4th line duty? Also, he is tied in team scoring to 4th place in forwards with Cullen, both with 6 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad