Seravalli: Mikael Backlund is also leaning toward not re-signing in Calgary

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What's "lottery protection" on Florida's 2025 pick? Is it saying, if they're out of the playoffs, they keep the pick? Because that's not super wildly improbable. Improbably, but not that much considering the goaltending and defense uncertainties in 2 years.

If the lottery protection just means, "winning" the lottery, then yeah, I don't think the Panthers win the lottery in 2 years.

I ask bc the Monahan conditions don't mention the scenario where Calgary receives the Panthers' first and BOTH firsts being in the top 10.

And if my understanding is correct, Panthers missing the playoffs in 2025 combined with Calgary sucking would give the Habs a really good pick. Or slide to 2026.

That's because Florida protected that 1st round pick, which means the scenario where Calgary does NOT receive that pick comes into affect (a sub-scenario). In that case, Montreal receives Calgary's 2025 1st round pick with Calgary only having #1 overall protection on it.

Calgary receives Florida's 2026 pick.

All of it actually begins this season. If Florida is a bottom 10 team this year, Philadelphia doesn't receive Florida's 1st round pick in 2024, but in 2025 (from Giroux trade).

Calgary then gets Florida's 2026 1st round pick.

If Florida finishes above 10, Philadelphia receives the 2024 pick. Calgary gets 2025.

• Wow
Reactions: abo9

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Unless Florida finishes bottom 10 in 25 lol. Crazy things have happened but I don’t think Florida will be a bottom ten team over the next two years.

No, but for the purposes of Montreal's picks, Florida only has to finish bottom 10 this year then Calgary doesn't receive Florida's 2025 pick, Philadelphia does. That activates a sub-scenario where Montreal receives Calgary's pick in 2025 with only 1st overall protection.

Philadelphia would then receive Florida's unprotected 2025 1st, wherever it may land.

Florida top 10 protected the 2024 pick everything can defer one year due to that fact (there's even a scenario where Montreal receives Calgary's 2026 1st).

It's all intertwined.

Reactions: Bond

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
That's because Florida protected that 1st round pick, which means the scenario where Calgary does NOT receive that pick comes into affect (a sub-scenario). In that case, Montreal receives Calgary's 2025 1st round pick with Calgary only having #1 overall protection on it.

Calgary receives Florida's 2026 pick.

All of it actually begins this season. If Florida is a bottom 10 team this year, Philadelphia doesn't receive Florida's 1st round pick in 2024, but in 2025 (from Giroux trade).

Calgary then gets Florida's 2026 1st round pick.

If Florida finishes above 10, Philadelphia receives the 2024 pick. Calgary gets 2025.

Brad Trevling really f***ed the Flames.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Oof.

Real talk this isn't even fun to watch as an Oilers fan. Would much rather beat them when they're a top team than whatever this is.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It's possible that things work out for Calgary. We'll have to wait and see what players they trade and for what/whom. It's still 2 years away. Too early to predict anything.
Yeah. I think it will fall under the most likely of an 11 to 20 overall pick in 25.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
A question that needs to be asked , that has probably already been asked but I am lazy...

Why do players still want out even though Treviling and Sutter are both gone?

Any rumors of other problems?
Is the owner a duck? Toxic locker room?
Are the snacks not tasty enough?
Is this all the doing a villain that the meddling kids need to solve with the help of a talking stoner dog with a speech impediment?

Reactions: Auggie

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
So if Florida finishes bottom 10 next season, Montreal could get as high as Calgary's 2nd overall in 2025? Or the higher of Calgary's/Florida's unprotected 2026 1st?

That seems like the best case scenario for Montreal. Lets see if Florida lets them down second year in a row!

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Blow it up and rebuild. The assets will be there once you clean house.

A question that needs to be asked , that has probably already been asked but I am lazy...

Why do players still want out even though Treviling and Sutter are both gone?

Any rumors of other problems?
Is the owner a duck? Toxic locker room?
Are the snacks not tasty enough?
Is this all the doing a villain that the meddling kids need to solve with the help of a talking stoner dog with a speech impediment?
Shot in the dark here but if you’re the kind of owner that hires or aides or enables in hiring these kind of people, would you want to play for them?

I think the real problem starts at the top on this one.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Shot in the dark here but if you’re the kind of owner that hires or aides or enables in hiring these kind of people, would you want to play for them?

I think the real problem starts at the top on this one.

It was reported before Sutter was hired again that it was an ownership decision and not a Treliving decision.

I also think Treliving wanted to rebuild last season and wasn't allowed to. Further to that it was reported that Gaudreau had his extension all but signed and changed his mind after talking to owner with his agent, think it was Friedman that noted that.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It was reported before Sutter was hired again that it was an ownership decision and not a Treliving decision.

I also think Treliving wanted to rebuild last season and wasn't allowed to. Further to that it was reported that Gaudreau had his extension all but signed and changed his mind after talking to owner with his agent, think it was Friedman that noted that.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The funny thing about the flames situation is they can’t even rebuild with the contracts they signed last year.

In for about 10 years of absolute mediocrity
They did really put themselves in a bad position but they can alway buyout those contracts like how Canucks did with OEL. Uber doo and Kadri will be a buyout in the future

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
even a whiff of that impressive ice district and McDraisaitls farts would help the Flames right now. Hang in there Yippity Kai Yai.
It's the ladies of the night and human feces from the downtown core. Are you insinuating the two big guys contribute to that smell?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Weegar can be moved.
Canucks should be in on Weegar if he was to be moved. His contract is reasonably for a top 4D that is still young and has potential to become better. If Canucks can get Weegar and Pesce, they could easily be a playoff team.

Hughes-Pesce
Hronek-Weegar
Schenn-Soucy

That would be a dream D right there

Bond

May 10, 2012
Canucks should be in on Weegar if he was to be moved. His contract is reasonably for a top 4D that is still young and has potential to become better. If Canucks can get Weegar and Pesce, they could easily be a playoff team.

Hughes-Pesce
Hronek-Weegar
Schenn-Soucy

That would be a dream D right there
Sell them to whoever pays the most!

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
No, but for the purposes of Montreal's picks, Florida only has to finish bottom 10 this year then Calgary doesn't receive Florida's 2025 pick, Philadelphia does. That activates a sub-scenario where Montreal receives Calgary's pick in 2025 with only 1st overall protection.

Philadelphia would then receive Florida's unprotected 2025 1st, wherever it may land.

Florida top 10 protected the 2024 pick everything can defer one year due to that fact (there's even a scenario where Montreal receives Calgary's 2026 1st).

It's all intertwined.

If I was Conroy I would retain on 1 year players, take cap dumps for Florida to prevent this from happening.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't think that single pick is likely to be that bad of a loss.

It was an honest try to stay competitive, and I still think the current roster could make the playoffs semi-regularly. Everyone wanting to leave seems like an issue any GM would have a tough time dealing with.

Yep, all those FA's will be coveted assets at the TDL. What sucks though, is you'd probably want to keep guys like 27 years old Lindholm through the rebuild to shelter your future, younger assets.

But like, if they can flip all of Backlund, Lindholm, Hanifin, and perhaps other guys that will test the FA market (Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov ?) - that's a lot of potential prospects and picks to gather. Lots of quality and decently low cap hits.

Calgary had quite a few younger guys doing well in the AHL and juniors, it will be interesting to see if they can seize the opportunity. Guys like Ruzicka, Phillips, Pelletier, Coronato, Zary - to they have good D prospects?

Reactions: GoldenSeal

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Is Brad Treliving worst than Benning now? Did he get the crown as the worst GM or is he still the 2nd or 3rd worst? He signed and overpaid for Kadri and Huberdeau to long term high AAV deals while also driving Gudreau and Tkatchuk out of town and not re-signing them. I think that is much terrible than even Benning since we still have our high end young forward and D man in Pettersson and Hughes. Benning is definitely trash but Brad laid a huge egg before he left. Not only Calgary doesnt have young elite players to look forward to during their rebuild, they are now stuck with boat anchors in Uber doo and Kadri long term while a mass exodus is happening due to all those years of Sutter lol

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My guess is that they hold onto Backlund until the trade deadline. At his age the return wouldn't be any higher now than at the deadline so the only reason to trade him now is if you want to blow it up and tank, and the Flames aren't the type of org to do that.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I don't think that single pick is likely to be that bad of a loss.

It was an honest try to stay competitive, and I still think the current roster could make the playoffs semi-regularly. Everyone wanting to leave seems like an issue any GM would have a tough time dealing with.

Yep, all those FA's will be coveted assets at the TDL. What sucks though, is you'd probably want to keep guys like 27 years old Lindholm through the rebuild to shelter your future, younger assets.

But like, if they can flip all of Backlund, Lindholm, Hanifin, and perhaps other guys that will test the FA market (Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov ?) - that's a lot of potential prospects and picks to gather. Lots of quality and decently low cap hits.

Calgary had quite a few younger guys doing well in the AHL and juniors, it will be interesting to see if they can seize the opportunity. Guys like Ruzicka, Phillips, Pelletier, Coronato, Zary - to they have good D prospects?

No way Calgary is a playoff team anymore, especially with vets and some of their good players like Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli etc. wanting out. Calgary doesnt even have much of a prospect pool to trade from or build from to replace those guys and free agents wouldn't choose Calgary unless they are overpaid. So Calgary is in a really bad place. Am not even mentioning the fact that they are in the division where they need to compete against Vegas, Edmonton, Seattle, LA and possibly an improved Vancouver team to make the playoffs just in their own division. Calgary will be similar to SJ and Anaheim, bottom feeders and likely will be there for a long while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad