Seravalli: Mikael Backlund is also leaning toward not re-signing in Calgary

Ledge And Dairy

Great now I have to go read the conditions on the 2025 pick they sent to the Habs with Monahan.
Simple, Florida has to be a bottom 10 team in the league either this season or the next for Montreal to get a top 10 pick or unprotected 1st. In the unlikely scenario that Florida is a bottom 10 team in any of the next 2 seasons then things get complicated

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yeah it's complicated but the Habs have the option on next year if it's later than 20. The Habs may push that pick back a while
No. There is basically zero chance the Habs can even get the pick next year unless the Flames sell everyone off and somehow make the playoffs

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No. There is basically zero chance the Habs can even get the pick next year unless the Flames sell everyone off and somehow make the playoffs

You mean no chance they will? The Habs have the option to take the pick next year if it's later than 20.

The funky stuff with there's and Florida's picks start the year after. They have to wait for it to become a 1st in the teens.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It might come as a surprise to Frank because Frank is an idiot, but if Hanifin won't sign an extension and Lindholm won't sign an extension then to anybody with a functioning brain It won't come as a surprise that Backlund won't sign an extension because why would he when he's 35 and the team is clearly going into rebuild mode within a year, and probably a lot sooner?

I suspect Toffoli won't be signing an extension either because why would he?

And I doubt Markstrom sticks around either, although he's probably going to take longer.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I don’t follow the Flames closely. Is Lindholm the better player over Backlund?

Bond

May 10, 2012
You mean no chance they will? The Habs have the option to take the pick next year if it's later than 20.

The funky stuff with there's and Florida's picks start the year after. They have to wait for it to become a 1st in the teens.
The pick has to be in the 20-32 range for the Habs to even have a chance to select it.

And I doubt Markstrom sticks around either, although he's probably going to take longer.
Who takes on Markstrom though.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The pick has to be in the 20-32 range for the Habs to even have a chance to select it.

Who takes on Markstrom though.

Yes, so if the flames trade everyone they won't have the option to take it. But even if the Flames end up in the 20-32 range the Habs can still take 2025 instead with the insane condition list.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Huberdeau showing up to training camp

4ea.jpg

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yes, so if the flames trade everyone they won't have the option to take it. But even if the Flames end up in the 20-32 range the Habs can still take 2025 instead with the insane condition list.
If the Flames somehow make the playoffs maybe the Habs just take it assuming they traded off all the UFAs lol

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't expect the Habs to take the 2024 1st even if they can unless they plan to trade it. If calagary is losing a bunch of good players.
Those good players would already be gone if you believe Conroy. He said the Flames can't repeat Gaudreau and will not enter the season with 7 ufas on the roster even inf Lindholm signs.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Those good players would already be gone if you believe Conroy. He said the Flames can't repeat Gaudreau and will not enter the season with 7 ufas on the roster even inf Lindholm signs.
The chances of Calgary selling half the team and then suddenly turning things around in 2024-25 seem very low and Florida currently has like 6 guys under contract for 24/25 with Lundell, Montour and Forsling all expecting significant raises. I don't think it's likely they bottom out and they've obviously shown they creatively stay competitive but their depth is likely to take a huge hit so the '25 pick becomes interesting

Bond

May 10, 2012
The chances of Calgary selling half the team and then suddenly turning things around in 2024-25 seem very low and Florida currently has like 6 guys under contract for 24/25 with Lundell, Montour and Forsling all expecting significant raises. I don't think it's likely they bottom out and they've obviously shown they creatively stay competitive but their depth is likely to take a huge hit so the '25 pick becomes interesting
Florida needs to be top ten pick bad in the next two seasons though. I don't see it next year. Maybe in 25/26 but still don't think so.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

There's almoat no chance Calgary's pick is 20+ next year. They're likely missing the playoffs again. Everything will get pushed to 2025 then it gets intertwined with Florida's pick.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Florida needs to be top ten pick bad in the next two seasons though. I don't see it next year. Maybe in 25/26 but still don't think so.
Probably right, in all likelihood it ends up being a pick somewhere around 20-25 that they end up with but a boy can dream. I am very curious to see what Florida does next summer though, Montour is going to get PAID either there or elsewhere and while a Bob buyout gives some relief it's not a whole lot

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah like Atlanta was such a great place for hockey. Might as well move them to Afghanistan, they would get more fans than Atlanta
Atlanta still averaged more fans than Winnipeg does. Atlanta's ECHL team has a bigger arena than Winnipeg.

Truth hurts.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Atlanta still averaged more fans than Winnipeg does. Atlanta's ECHL team has a bigger arena than Winnipeg.

Truth hurts.
Atlanta lost 2 NHL teams, why would NHL go back there for a 3rd time? It's population is mainly black and they support basketball and football, not hockey. Also with the terrible NHL tv ratings for the finals, it's best if NHL chose a Canadian city if they want to relocate or expand instead of another US city down south.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Let’s assume all this is true, and these players all want out, rather than to sign again in Calgary.

Lindholm and Hanifin are pretty straightforward. There will be tons of interest. The problem with moving Backlund is, there are so many teams trying to move pieces right now, he’s going to be the backup, to the backup plan for teams looking to fill a hole. He will likely end up somewhere, where that team wasn’t able to land what they see as better fits. So chances of moving him at the draft or before, is pretty slim.

He’d probably be a nice fit for a team who has youngsters they see as a Top 6 C, but probably aren’t quite ready for that responsibility yet. Detroit, Columbus, etc. Those teams are going to be in on these other players though.

So the Flames may be forced to be very patient with moving him, if they want the best value in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad