Player Discussion Mikael Backlund has gotten no credit this year

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Most underrated player on CGY, would be on a top 10 list of most underrated in the league. Would love to see him get back into the selke convo he was sniffing around a few years back.

His salary perfectly reflects his value.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yes. Backlund is steady, skilled, leader whatever. I never want to see him on PP1. He's a shoot into the crest before making any creative pass player.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know this is a Backs thread but boy did this age badly
Well, it was last year when he was waived and nobody picked him up, even the Krakens so it did aged.

I am glad he had a chance to turn around for the Flames

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Most underrated player on CGY, would be on a top 10 list of most underrated in the league. Would love to see him get back into the selke convo he was sniffing around a few years back.

His salary perfectly reflects his value.
He is not flashy or highlight reel starring, but he is playing a very valuable role in teams success.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I will pay him to not shave. Stupid sexy Backlund.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Backlund especially, being 34, and he hasn't declined yet. He has fire in his belly and he's terrified of when he won't have the legs anymore. That's more an indictment of the organization as a whole.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Backs out of anyone has earned his way out. All the best to him whatever he decides to do. I'm sure there's lots of interest in him. Between he and Lindholm not willing to commit, makes the need for culture change here seem painfully obvious. I hope beyond needed firings, we get someone who can actually finalize an arena deal. It wasn't that long ago we weren't a laughing stock team. Now it seems we're hovering slightly above Winnipeg in perception.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Backlund, a center for the Calgary Flames, has supported the ALS Society of Alberta in honor of his mother-in-law, who died from the disease. Flames assistant general manager Chris Snow has also been dealing with ALS for the past four years. Backlund and his wife have raised more than $400,000 for the nonprofit and have welcomed almost 100 families affected by ALS to home games.

Backlund also supports The Kids Cancer Care and Special Olympics Calgary. He had a childhood friend diagnosed with cancer and another who was born with Down syndrome, and has invited 500 guests to attend Flames games and meet with him afterward. Backlund and his wife partnered with Parachutes for Pets to create Lily's Legacy, named for their dog who died in 2021. The program allows children in foster care to keep their pets while they are transitioning into care.

He would be the first Flames player to win the award since Jarome Iginla in 2003-04.

Stupid sexy Backlund

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I remember when Backlund first got on my radar , he scored that highlight reel goal against the caps flipping the puck in the air past 3 Washington players and then faking out Holtby with the one handed move.

Ever since then I've always had a bit of an interest in him and would read threads where he was mentioned.

Watching him on a semi regular basis for the first time, he was probably my favourite player on the flames this year. Just hard working on both ends of the ice, and on occassion he'd have have some impressive individual efforts outworking more than 1 player, a lot of which were on the PK.

Hope to see him on the flames but I understand his desire to consider other options. Would be a shame though since he was one of the few bright spots this year.

Reactions: Fig and Tofveve

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I remember when Backlund first got on my radar , he scored that highlight reel goal against the caps flipping the puck in the air past 3 Washington players and then faking out Holtby with the one handed move.

Ever since then I've always had a bit of an interest in him and would read threads where he was mentioned.

Watching him on a semi regular basis for the first time, he was probably my favourite player on the flames this year. Just hard working on both ends of the ice, and on occassion he'd have have some impressive individual efforts outworking more than 1 player, a lot of which were on the PK.

Hope to see him on the flames but I understand his desire to consider other options. Would be a shame though since he was one of the few bright spots this year.

If he's not on the Flames going forward, plz consider buying him. I've been reasonably happy seeing Treliving's original blueprint showing the success on the Panthers. The Flames just didn't have the right foundation around that blueprint. The Panthers do and we now get to see the real life outcome of it.

Barkov, Bennett, Backlund as a centre back bone would be ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad