Player Discussion Mikael Backlund has gotten no credit this year

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Now there is a very vocal minority of fans who have hellbent on running Backs out of town, but I really think people aren't realizing how low-key good he's been on our dumpster fire roster this year.

Well not extremely gaudy, he's still pacing for a solid 53.0CF%, so his fancy stats are good. He has 34 takeaways which leads the team; this while still being our most important matchup centre and technically being #3 in terms of TOI for a centre (granted 17 mins a night is a lot for a "3rd liner"). He is pacing for 219 shots on goal in an 82 game season (which is second on the team), and he is a respectable 51.2% in the dot. Also still a presence on the PK.

He is technically a third liner on the flames, yet his production is the exact same as Sean Monahan right now (50 pt pace in 82 games). Now yes he has gotten some good time with Mangiapane, but he's also had to lug around Lucic and Bennett and Nordstrom in that role as well. The narrative that Tkachuk carried him in recent years has fallen apart that's for sure, and you could argue the former two are even having rather decent seasons with him as well (which says a lot).

If the team rebuilds I do think he'd be a great piece to keep around and teach some of the kids. Reminds me a bit of TJ Brodie; he gets crap from the fanbase until he is gone before being sorely missed.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
He started off awful for 2-3weeks but without fail he became our most useful forward for a 2 week stretch and has looked like of our or better forwards most of the season
I think there's a ton to like about Backlund he's always been one of my favourite Flames but when you are a selling team 32 year old players can be tough to hold on to both with the player wanting to get a win as they won't be a large part of a roster in 3-4 years and getting value back for the Flames

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nobody should be exempted from this disaster

backlund has not been the worst but that doesn’t mean he played well. Let’s not try pretending

Reactions: Ainsy01

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't think anyone is concerned about him this season.

It's the next three seasons at $5.35 million (on the wrong side of age 32) that we should be concerned about.

I don't see him aging badly since he's been very consistent throughout the last few years (I could be wrong but idk). Either way he's a lock to be protected right now imo.

Nobody should be exempted from this disaster

backlund has not been the worst but that doesn’t mean he played well. Let’s not try pretending

50 pt pace for the #3C with virtually the entire year stapled to Lucic and good chunks of the year with Nordstrom/Leivo/insert other bottom 6 crap as well. If Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, and our defense play up to snuff we are praising him as a sign of our "depth".

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't see him aging badly since he's been very consistent throughout the last few years (I could be wrong but idk). Either way he's a lock to be protected right now imo.
It honestly depends on what happens (with respect to signing / extending their own RFA/UFA players) between now and the expansion draft. Presently the Flames need to expose 2 forwards under contract that meet experience requirements.

If they qualify Simon (wasted contract space) and he accepts, they have the 2 forwards assuming Lucic waives, or Backlund if he doesn't (or both if they don't bother qualifying Simon)

Regardless I don't think Seattle takes either Backlund or Lucic even if they are available, but will take Giordano (experience) or Kylington (potential) instead.

I found this thought I'd put it here, for info/my own future reference.

July 17 – Deadline for Protection Lists for Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET)
July 21 – Expansion Draft for Seattle Kraken (8 p.m. ET)
July 23 – Round 1 of NHL Draft
July 24 – Rounds 2-7 of NHL Draft
July 28 – Restricted Free Agent/Unrestricted Free Agent signing period begins (12 p.m. ET)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It blows my mind there are people that think Kylington has value around the league

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Mikael Backlund has gotten no credit like ever.

He was very poor to begin the season, just like last year but has been much better since becoming a father. Swedish centers have always aged pretty well. I would be unhappy if the Flames chose not to protect him, he loves it here and is still one of the few players we have that can consistently hold their own in matchups against other team's top lines. Does a lot in the community as well. He is the fixer of our forward group, any problem winger who is having a hard time gets thrown on Backs' line. Unless ownership actually commits to a full tank which I find very unlikely I see no reason to move on from him.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
you mean here, or in the media. Here everyone acts like he's jesus christ.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Backlund is off to his usual slow start points wise but getting moved up to the 2nd line for the Buffalo game and playing with Mangiapane should help. Monahan is definitely the team's 3rd line center. He skates like an old man these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad