Player Discussion Mika 'DJ Z-Bad' Zibanejad, Part 4: Untz Untz, it's all about the hi-hat (trick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He said quality veterans though.

I don't know how much the quality of the player matters when you are trying to teach. More specifically - I think it's a crapshoot.

I mean, the best players tend to make the worst coaches, simply because the game comes so naturally to them that it's difficult for them to explain it; it's intuitive for them. Gretzky, Trottier,

Similarly, some times the best coaches are the average/so-so players, who weren't blessed with natural skill, and instead focused on the instructable parts of the game so that they could learn as much as they could to help bridge the gap between themselves and the true skill player. I mean, how many great coaches had their careers end in the AHL, or maybe only had a cup of coffee in the NHL? The great coaches tend to be **** players.

So really, I suppose it depends on how you are teaching. If you are teaching via example, then yeah, get yourself some generationally talented players. If you're teaching via instruction though, skill really doesn't come into play much.

A guy like Gonchar had both (high skill level + ability to teach via instruction). A guy like Dave Allison had neither. You can have elite veteran players who can't teach anything worth a damned (cough*BRETTHULL*cough), and 3rd pairing defencemen / utility forwards who go on to have great coaching careers because they think the game at a high level from an X's and O's perspective.

I'm just saying - skill doesn't always translate into being able to teach. Obviously you want skilled veterans on the team because of the whole "we want skill on the team" part. That's a no-brainer. Obviously they are probably going to be the more desirable asset. I'm just making a point about teaching here.

Swedish House

Jun 17, 2015
According to his Instagram post of 3 hours ago, he's in sweden now!

Thought he was staying here to train...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Nothing wrong with him going back home for a bit before coming back to Ottawa to train.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Still the best thread title we've had in a long time here (HM to Karlsson ceiling = white drywall).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Still the best thread title we've had in a long time here (HM to Karlsson ceiling = white drywall).

Pretty sure Karlsson's ceiling is dependant on which room of his house you're in. Basement might be a floating ceiling, Kitchen white drywall, living room could be stucco (dependant on the age of the build), and certainly his bedroom ceiling is covered in mirrors.

But on topic, Zibanejad is a multi-millionaire, he can fly to Sweden for a weekend and not bat an eye. Just because he's there now doesn't mean he isn't staying in Ottawa for the summer to train.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He should be stickhandling around road cones at least 4 hrs a day ,and hire some guys to to battle him along the boards while he tries to maintain possession :rant:

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
You cant train what he's missing. He lacks passion and fire. The passion to make an impact even when he's not on the ball. People can say whatever they want about the streakiness/giveaways of Ryan and Spezz but they tried to make an impact however they can when they are lacking in scoring. Better or worse but I appreciate that.

Trade his ass before he cements himself as a Mike Fisher lite.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Zibanejad reminds me of Heatley in some ways.

They seem panicked when handling the puck at times. It's like they are holding live grenades.

If zibanejad can fix that he'll be much better

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Trade his ass before he cements himself as a Mike Fisher lite.

You mean that guy who scored 2 goals, including the 3OT goal in last night's game?

Considering that Zibby is doing things that Fisher could only dream of at 22, I would say that he's more like Mike Fisher-GT, which sounds awesome to me.

Having said that, they really aren't similar players, or have similar celings, like at all..

Zibanejad is going to have a break out year next season under Boudreau. If that happens, and Turris is healthy, we are comfortably making the playoffs.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Fisher cracked the top-100 scoring forwards 3 times starting at 29yo (74th, 87th and 87th). He was 35yo this season.

Zibanejad has cracked the top-100 twice starting last season (77th and 96th). He was 22yo this season. He's going to have a much better career offensively than Fisher did.

Ottawa comparables? Hmm, Bonk doesn't seem right because he only broke out because of Hossa and the glass slipper fell off that gravy train the moment that they were separated. Maybe Smoke is the best comparable, though we only had him for 2 1/2 years later in his career.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Zibanejad seems to now be what we've hoped for such a long time.

He has looked phenomenal at the start. I think it's safe to say that Rangers didn't get fat lacadasical Zibby, but the much improved, motivated and ripped Zibby.

I hope that Brassard will be an improvement at least this season, but I wouldn't put any money on it.:cry:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Zibanejad seems to now be what we've hoped for such a long time.

He has looked phenomenal at the start. I think it's safe to say that Rangers didn't get fat lacadasical Zibby, but the much improved, motivated and ripped Zibby.

I hope that Brassard will be an improvement at least this season, but I wouldn't put any money on it.:cry:

Good for him. Remember when he was worse then Couturier, then worse then Schieefle, and now he's better then everyone.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
That was a nice backhand shot.
Zibanejad with 26 Corsi for and 6 against.

He's going to break out.

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Who cares.
People who follow this team and invested into the rebuild and then as Zibby was poised to break out at 23, as his numbers improved every season... See him dealt for a player not as good and six years older.

you build around players like Zibanejad

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
People who follow this team and invested into the rebuild and then as Zibby was poised to break out at 23, as his numbers improved every season... See him dealt for a player not as good and six years older.

I think we are building around players like Turris and Karlsson. I am a huge Zibby fan and I miss him, but at the same time this is my team and I want them to win. Brassard is a more consistent player right now.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Zibby is a complimentary player..

He may end up being a great complimentary player. But you do NOT build a team around him. You build a team around a player like McDavid or Crosby or Karlsson or Kopitar. You build around a play making player. Toronto added Kessel as a player to build around and we all laughed.

Zibanejab may become a great player but he's not the player you build around.

I wish him well but he's going to benefit from playing with more playmakers. He's also in his contact year. And he's with a new team.

Ottawa was not able to give him an environment to thrive in because of their current roster. NYR is able to. He might just thrive.

But again it's been 2 games. This is getting a bit ridiculous!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Who cares.

Well, we traded Zib because he didn't fit with Ryan. Thus we obtained an older player to invest in chemistry with another older player, and didn't keep the 23 year old.

Did we pull a Vancouver and trade the younger guy(schneider/zib) only cause we couldn't move the older guy(Loungo/Ryan)? But we will still inevitably have to trade the older guy(Ryan/Luongo) anyway cause he still doesn't fit this team?

It's still way too early to tell and I think Brassard is a great acquisition nevertheless. Remains to be seen what happens. I still think Turris will end up with Bobby and Brassard with Stone and that's when the team will be at its best.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

No matter what your feelings are on the trade, this is objectively untrue. If you need to lie to get your point across, maybe consider that it's not a point worth making.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No matter what your feelings are on the trade, this is objectively untrue. If you need to lie to get your point across, maybe consider that it's not a point worth making.

Not necessarily. I imagine Zib coming into camp in shape would be better than he's been in previous years. I remember plenty of fans getting exited about how he was changing his offseason plans before he got dealt.

As much as I'd like to believe that he would have never broken out in Ottawa, I don't know if that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad