Player Discussion Midway Point Report Card 2017-18

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
its so funny how much Vigno is reviled around here haha.

I mean i want him relieved of coaching duties, but i dont hate the guy nor do I think he's a bad coach.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
scores and comments below.

Please rate any or all of the names below on a scale of A-F with any comments you would like to include.

Buchnevich makes funny faces and looks like he doesnt understand anyone when they speak. C
Carey tries hard. C
Desharnais still not sure how to say his name so then he gets a D
Fast love him bc his name is fast so B+
Grabner fast like um fast so again like him. plus he's scores goals. A
Hayes he's cool off the ice and seems pretty chill. B+
Kreider hes hurt. although when not hurt he's ok. B
Lettieri like this kid. too many vowels in his name though so i deduct for that. C
Miller good old fashion hockey players but that beard.... dude. scary. again, points deducted. B
Nash whatever is lower than an F. the excuses and embellishments for this guy make me wanna hurl.
Nieves he's from my neck of the woods so he gets an A. on his play, he's a C but who's counting ?
Vesey he also seems cool to hang out with. still looks like he's maybe 15. B
Zibanejad A for being cool. A for his shot. C for being iranian and swede bc thats just weird.
Zuccarello A bc hes also very cool and tweets alot.

Holden C not a fan.
Kampfer C same as holden
McDonagh C same as kampfer. and F for his pp work which is like jt millers beard.
Shattenkirk B bc hes KS22and that sounds cool. needs more hair.
Skjei he's my favorite DMan also seems pretty chill off ice. and from what i saw has nice parents A
Smith got married and got fat. for that, points deducted. his play has been so-so. C
Staal red beard thing is kinda leprechaun like so thats a deduction. his play with the puck isnt good. C

Lundqvist all world and can do no wrong. ever. plus his dressing is sharp and he's a metro sexual. A
Pavelec he's been good when we thought he was bad. B

Gorton bad. mcilrath and stuff......
Vigneault bad
Other Coaches bad
Power Play ok
Penalty Kill ok
TV Coverage

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Henrik Lundqvist--B+ it would be an A+ if he hadn't had the bad start to the season.
Ondrej Pavelec--B better than I expected.

Kevin Shattenkirk--C not great defense and his offense has gone missing for a while. For the money he makes he could do more.
Ryan McDonagh--B he's been good but I've seen him better.
Brady Skjei--B+ a little more offensive pop would help but he's often been our best D.
Marc Staal--B better than expected but needs to have his minutes managed.
Nick Holden--C he has good games. He has bad games. He has average games.
Brendan Smith--C- Just too inconsistent.
Steven Kampfer--B he's been pretty good whenever he's in the lineup.

Mats Zuccarello--B+ best forward on the team period.
Mika Zibanejad--C+ great start--then got hurt and has been pretty quiet since he's come back.
J.T. Miller--B he's a solid and consistent player.
Pavel Buchnevich--C+ has made some good steps this year but inconsistent and has been quiet for a while.
Chris Kreider--C+ he's capable of a lot more. It hurts him I think that the Rangers don't have a center that can push him to a higher level.
Rick Nash--D the numbers are way too low for the $'s he makes. I know he's good defensively but he's supposed to be our offensive leader.
Kevin Hayes--B offensive stats are down a bit but he's taken on a more defensive role this year and done pretty well with it.
Michael Grabner--A If we're talking bang for the buck Michael Grabner is it. He's been a real difference maker and the Rangers should re-sign him ASAP.
David Desharnais--C+ he's been slowly growing on me. Not to say though that he's not weak as shit on the puck because he is....but even so.
Jesper Fast--B+ just a smart 3rd/4th line player who finds ways to contribute. What's not to like?
Jimmy Vesey--C+ another guy who's too inconsistent. Has been one of our better forwards since Kreider went down though.
Paul Carey--C+ done pretty well with the 4th line spot.
Cristobal Nieves--B another guy who's found a niche on the 4th line and done pretty well with it.

Alain Vigneault and staff--C+ Henrik IMO more than any other player has saved AV's job for him--he was almost down and out.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
havent been able to use my pc for a while but here we go...

Buchnevich-->B. Could be better..but for a 2nd year, very good.
Carey--> A+ what more can you want from essentially a walk on who makes the team?
Desharnais-->D I'm so blah on him.
Fast--> B- You always get what you get from him.
Grabner--> B- Stats are really inflated by ENG
Hayes--> C- Ok i guess.
Kreider--> C- Disappointed in his season..still hope he gets better quickly.
Lettieri--> not enough data.
Miller--> D. I havent been happy with his game whatsoever.
Nash--> F. I dont care about his salary...i dont care about his lack of production. I care that it seems like hes dragging down his linemates by being a bit to selfish trying to work his way through his issues.
Nieves-->A+ LOVE his game for a 4C
Vesey--> D. Hes been getting better..hence why its not an F.
Zibanejad--> C. Started off hot, but tailed off before the concussion..has sucked since coming back.
Zuccarello--> C-. A bit overrated on these boards...high skill for sure..and playing with a guy like crosby he'd be a 70 point player...but hes really lacking that takeoverability for a true first line player.

Holden-->D Meh.
Kampfer-->D- Mehhhh.
McDonagh--> F. Unmitigated disaster of a season. Hopefully the bye week helps him out.
Shattenkirk-->B- Started off hot as hell..but has cooled off badly. Few defenseman actually play well their frst season in this awful system.
Skjei--> C. hes kinda hit or miss on games.
Smith--> F- Really bad.
Staal-->D+. For him, hes been good..but for what he was...hes been awful.

Lundqvist--> A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Single handedly carrying this team
Pavelec--> A Been getting better and better and better.

Gorton--> A. I love what hes done..but if he starts buying instead of selling, this will drop rapidly.
Vigneault-->F---- Get him the hell outta here.
Other Coaches--> F- for everyone not named Allaire...he gets an A+
Power Play-->F...one hot stretch made it seem better than it is.
Penalty Kill-->C. It's mostly just Henrik.
TV Coverage -->umm ok? A? I love Sam so...A.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Buchnevich - B
Carey - B
Desharnais - B
Fast - B
Grabner - B+
Hayes - B+
Kreider - D
Lettieri - B+
Miller - B
Nash - B-
Nieves - B-
Vesey - B-
Zibanejad - B+
Zuccarello - A

Holden - B-
Kampfer - B-
McDonagh - D
Shattenkirk - B-
Skjei - B+
Smith - F-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staal - B-

Lundqvist - A++++
Pavelec - A++

Gorton - B
Vigneault - F
Other Coaches - C
Power Play - C
Penalty Kill - B
TV Coverage - A

To provide context. No, I don't think that Carey/DD have been as good as Buchnevich. If you look at what was expected and what they have provided, I think they have slightly/definitely exceeded expectations. I think the offense overall has performed well. The defense has been mediocre on its best days and downright putrid on its worst. It is being weighed down by McDonagh (which is a shock) and Smith. I think McDonagh has truly been bad this season.

I think two of the most important players for each position, Kreider for offense (could argue Zuccarello) and McDonagh on defense have been piss poor. I think Holden has been better than people give him credit for.

Smith has the potential to be a top 4 defenseman. Part of the blame goes to AV for failing to use him properly. The other part goes to Smith for being so horribly out of shape to start the season.

Only three guys on the team are deserving of an A right now, Zucc, Lundqvist and Pavelec. Also, the TV Coverage. When you watch as many away broadcasts as I have, you appreciate Sam and Joe that much more. Those who don't appreciate them simply don't know how good they have it with the Rangers crew. If you think they are shills for the Rangers, you should see some of the other broadcast crews. Its downright embarrassing.

I think Lundy, Pavs and Zucc should all be self-explanatory.

Vigneault is a good coach who has his success limited by his own arrogance and stubborness. He needs to go. I am not a fan of Ruff as a defensive coach. I like what he brings to the table but I think the defense has been putrid and he is to blame for that (along with AV). Arniel is meh.

Reactions: Inferno and Ori

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
1) AV: F. The strongest F that can ever be F'd in the history of F. It's such a hard F that it transcends the letter F as we know it and has to be detected using smell. And guess what? This metaphysical F that smells and represents AV? It smells like dog shit covered in a dead skunk that threw up on itself before it died.

And if that's all too technical for you then AV has directly cost us multiple games, playoff series and hampered the development of several players. He actually helped partially kill my fandom. I want him gone years ago.

AV's Gum: A+. The fact is that his gum has to be that close to AV on a daily basis (He never changes his gum). That gum is a trooper. It doesn't anthropomorphize itself through sheer force of will just so it can kill itself and I find that this is truly commendable. That gum has the mental fortitude that would make a Shaolin monk look like a screaming, bleating goat by comparison.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Buchnevich - B
Carey - B
Desharnais - B
Fast - B
Grabner - B+
Hayes - B
Kreider - C+
Lettieri - Incomplete
Miller - B
Nash - B-
Nieves - B-
Vesey - B-
Zibanejad - B
Zuccarello - B+

Holden - C+
Kampfer - B-
McDonagh - C+
Shattenkirk - C+
Skjei - B
Smith - D-
Staal - B-

Lundqvist - A-
Pavelec - A-

Gorton - B-
Vigneault - C
Other Coaches - C
Power Play - C
Penalty Kill - B
TV Coverage - A

Reactions: Ori

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Shattenkirk, C+: He's been awful since November. Awesome before that. Who are we going to get for the rest of the year?
I agree with the grade, but have slightly different reasoning. For all of the good that he brings in the offensive zone, it is neutralized by the bad in the defensive zone. Great offensive instincts, very poor defensive play.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1) AV: F. The strongest F that can ever be F'd in the history of F. It's such a hard F that it transcends the letter F as we know it and has to be detected using smell. And guess what? This metaphysical F that smells and represents AV? It smells like dog **** covered in a dead skunk that threw up on itself before it died.
I think that you need to come out with your true feelings. This holding it in stuff is not going to do you any good.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On Buchnevich--he's taken a real step forward this year. I'd hesitate to say it was an overlarge step but he's a player that's still got a lot upside and development to do. Talent wise he's as good as any player on the team. He's stronger this year as well but he needs to ratchet that up still quite a bit. He's engaging more in his physical game but he's overpowered by a lot of bigger, stronger players. He had good chemistry with Kreider and Zibanejad early---that kind of disappeared when Mika got concussed and it's like he's been looking for his game ever since. Zibanejad sometimes plays too hesitant--Kreider disappears at times. The line is basically made up of talented but inconsistent players and when they're off---they're really off. Rangers need at least another talented center and judging by the way this season has progressed I'm glad they opted for two centermen in the 2017 draft.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Buchnevich - A-
Carey - B+
Desharnais - B
Fast - A-
Grabner - A
Hayes - B-
Kreider - B
Lettieri - A+
Miller - A-
Nash - B-
Nieves - B-
Vesey - C
Zibanejad - A+
Zuccarello - A

Holden - C+
Kampfer - D+
McDonagh - B
Shattenkirk - B-
Skjei - B+
Smith - C
Staal - B-

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - A

Gorton - B
Vigneault - D
Other Coaches - D
Allaire - A+
Power Play - B
Penalty Kill - A
TV Coverage - A

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Buchnevich - B
Carey - A-
Desharnais - C
Fast - B-
Grabner - B
Hayes - B+
Kreider - B
Lettieri - A
Miller - D
Nash - C-
Nieves - B
Vesey - D
Zibanejad - B-
Zuccarello - B-

Holden - B-
Kampfer - D
McDonagh - B-
Shattenkirk - B-
Skjei - C
Smith - D-
Staal - C

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - A

Gorton - C-
Vigneault - C
Other Coaches - D
Power Play - D
Penalty Kill - B
TV Coverage - C

Lmao TV Coverage.

Sam's senile commentary - F-

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Buchnevich: B He hasn't honestly been particularly good away from Zibanejad and Kreider, but the guy has talent. He should get more minutes.
Carey: B Pleasant surprise. Nice to have a guy in the team who cycles the puck well.
Desharnais: C As advertised, weak and pretty average, although (despite strength issues) he is outstanding below the goal-line if he gets a chance to pass.
Fast: B Same old. The guy you can count on every night.
Grabner: A I thought last year might have been a fluke, but he has been even better. Who needs technical skills when you're that fast.
Hayes: B Again, I've been pleasantly surprised. Have never been a fan, but he's been very good defensively and is making less ridiculous plays. If his point drop-off has to come with that then I'll accept it.
Kreider: B I still feel like he is our best forward and I want him on the ice more than anyone else.
Miller: C I've found Miller disappointing. Very inconsistent and sometimes lazy.
Nash: B He's lucky to get a B, but his general game is good. He can't finish his chances and he gets paid a lot.
Nieves: B Steady. Possible long-term bottom sixer.
Vesey: C He's actually been a B for a month or so, but there have been too many games where he's rotten. Not particularly good at anything, but working hard and moving in the right direction.
Zibanejad: B Started very well. I like KZB and I think KZB like it too, so I'd like to see more production from them all when they're not together (especially as K is injured).
Zuccarello: B He seemed out of sorts at the start of the season and for a while almost looked like his heart wasn't in it as much as usual. Then he had a very good spell and seems more involved.

Holden: C He's done a better job than I expected with McDonagh, but I'm still not a fan.
Kampfer: B Surprised me by being fairly solid throughout. Not someone you want playing, but hasn't let us down at all.
McDonagh: C Don't get me wrong, he's been one of our best Dmen, but just very average and not the elite player I hoped he could be.
Shattenkirk: C I'm not sure what to think tbh. I knew he wasn't a great defender, I knew he was good offensively. Wasn't sure about the signing and I still am not. If McDonagh and him are supposed to be the #1 and #2 in terms of standard, then I'd say they've been disappointing. Glad to have him in the team, though.
Skjei: B No complaints. I think he gets an easy ride and when he does make errors the board rarely blames him, but he's played better than most.
Smith: D The biggest disappointment I'd say. I was shocked that he was so good last year after joining us and was very much ready for him to go backwards, but he's been way off. If any of the AHL Dmen were considered ready then Smith probably wouldn't play, but for now the coaches see Kampfer as the 7th option.
Staal: B I have bashed Staal a bit in recent years (especially as everyone attacked Girardi when Staal seemed worse to me) and he is unspeakably slow with and without the puck, but he hasn't actually been bad. Started the season well.

Lundqvist: A Still wholly reliant on him. Magnificent.
Pavelec: B Probably the closest thing we have to an A aside from Hank and Grabner. I'm not surprised. Allaire does this to goalies.

Gorton: C The team is relying on the King. The Smith contract was bad.
Vigneault: F Still not sure what he's up to. The time on ice of players is weird. The lines are often weird. The D system remains a mess.
Other Coaches: C The goalie coach always deserves an A, Arniel always deserves an F. I'll go C.
Power Play: C Started well, has just about become the standard NYR powerplay.
Penalty Kill: A The only time this team demonstrates that they understand playing d.
TV Coverage: C I kind of love Sam and Joe, but they aren't very good. Joe lavishes praise on everyone for anything, regularly talking nonsense and Sam is confused. Grabner = Miller, Miller = Kevan Miller, Arizona = Phoenix, The post = Lundqvist and my personal favourite, Oscar Dansk = Marco Dansk ???? I don't actually want it to change, but it's not great lol.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Buchnevich - B+
Carey - C
Desharnais - C-
Fast - B
Grabner - A+
Hayes - B+
Kreider - C+
Lettieri - B+
Miller - B
Nash - B
Nieves - B
Vesey - B
Zibanejad - B+
Zuccarello - A

Holden - C-
Kampfer - C
McDonagh - C+
Shattenkirk - B-
Skjei - B
Smith - C-
Staal - C+

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - A

Gorton - B+
Vigneault - C-
Other Coaches - B-
Power Play - C
Penalty Kill - A

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Buchnevich - C. The guy needs to learn how to be an effective player in any situation, not just perfect ones.
Carey - B. Gotten way more out of him than expected.
Desharnais - D. Somehow, despite okay production, he has zero impact on the team.
Fast - A. Always know what to expect
Grabner - A. I really thought he was going to revert to 4th line status.
Hayes - C. Ineffective offensive shift after ineffective offensive shift.
Kreider - C. Never really got going this year.
Lettieri - Incomplete
Miller - B. Mostly I’m giving him a better grade because I’m convinced he’s hurt.
Nash - C. Can’t question the effort and leadership, needs to produce more.
Nieves - A. I’ve liked him this year.
Vesey - B. Hardest worker on the team, has been getting rewarded for it on occasion.
Zibanejad - B. Gotta smooth out some of his inconsistencies.
Zuccarello - C. I love him, but he’s been underwhelming. I’m not happy he’s been unable to find chemistry with anyone really.

Holden - B. He’s playing way above his head and doing okay at it.
Kampfer - B. Good 7th guy.
McDonagh - C. When was the last time he took over a shift?
Shattenkirk - C. Exactly average, since his production hasn’t done anything more than balance out his defensive deficiencies. There was a period of time where it did, but more time than it hasn’t.
Skjei - B. Good showing in his second year.
Smith - D. D is for disappointment.
Staal- B. Settled into the third pairing role nicely.

Lundqvist - A. Nothing I respect more than an elite athlete reinventing himself.
Pavelec - B. Adequate backup.

Gorton - Incomplete. Can’t judge a GM in a season until the deadline.
Vigneault - B. I really think this team is overachieving.
Other Coaches - Not enough data.
Power Play - F. They showed themselves what they need to do to have success and then stopped doing it.
Penalty Kill - A. Overachieving here too.
TV Coverage - A. As always.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Buchnevich, A - Basically a rookie, puts up points and likely among the most naturally talented wings on the team. His production per cap hit is a huge bonus, 35K per point. I think he has to round out his game but he is a bargain.

Nash, D - Older Vet who's natural goal scoring ability has declined. Was never much of a passer and still isn't. His production per cap hit is 458K per point which among forwards is worst by a large margin. I don't blame him for declining, more so the Rangers always ignoring that is what happens but his contributions are just not enough.

Desharnais, B - I do not view him as part of the solution but for 1M cap hit he is 2nd on the team in cap hit per point at 52K

Zibanejad, B - His injury plays a part, he looked to be becoming a true #1C, only player on the roster who has a good shot to beat a goalie clean. His cost per point is a little deceiving as he has missed some games. 222K per point

Vesey, B - Similar to DD above he is not all that great of a player but I never expected him to be. He is fine for a 3rd or 4th liner. While he does play against lesser competition than Nash he basically has the same Production all for 57K per point.

Kreider, C - Tough player to grade, always looks to be on the verge of being awesome, then somehow turns out not to really be. Injury hurts his cap per production. 210K per point.

Carey, A - Similar to the others on cheaper deals he is doing great in the cost per cap hit department, I wish the Rangers would give more chances to players like him for bottom line/pair roles. Once these type get the hang of the NHL and the Rangers, they have a chance to excel in limited roles, same with Carey, it takes a while but the Rangers actually stuck with him versus several past players they just did not. 65K per point.

Hayes B - He's been asked to play against tougher competition, he has done pretty well with it. Decent cost per production. I am not totally enthused by his play all the time but he has shown more change up speed this year, it's a good sign. 152K per point

Grabner, A - He just works, his cost per point is very good, his cost per goal even better. He'd still be somewhat of a bargain at a larger contract. I would not hate to see the Ranger try to extend him to something like 3M for 3 years. But if he is not going to take it should still be sold. Current cost per point 75K

Nieves A - similar to the other youth, he is cheap for his production, I hope his defensive game improves as he could be a decent long term 4th line center. 83K per point.

Zuccarello B - Best vision on the team, maybe best hands as well. If they do keep a forward as a vet I kind of hope it's him. Vision does not decline as fast as the other stuff. Plays against the other teams better players. Good cost per point at 145K

Miller B - I'm not always a fan, but he gets his nose dirty, he plays an honest albeit sometime wandering game. I like his passing ability but it sometimes gets him in trouble as well. 101K per point is very solid.

Fast B - Probably the most dependable defensive forward. His cost per point is also very solid at 108K.

Skjei B - He is cheap and improving. While for defense, cost per point should not be as much of a concern he is at 71K.

Staal D - While improved since last year, he is still not really much of a two way defender. If he had a lower cap hit I'd be more inclined to increase his grade.

Holden C - I think his defense is very suspect, but that is nothing foreign to this roster. He's somewhat cheap and provides some offense.

Smith F - He is not even playing up to his standards, like at all. Not sure what the Rangers were thinking.

McDonagh C - He has not been above average for what should be top pair D.

Shattenkirk C -I'm not a huge fan, he's a 4th forward which is okay but not for someone with his cap hit. If he is not putting up massive amounts of points it's not going to ever look good to me.

Kampfer D - He's okay but should likely be the 7th or even an AHL defender.

Goalies A, they are carrying the team defense. Lundqvist cap hit is high but he is also playing to it.

AV C - I don't like him, and don't dislike him, this roster is not all that, but he has them playing half way well half the time. I think the Rangers could do better but could also do much worse.

Gorton/Management C - Got some good bargains, and some over payments.

Special teams, C - Not great, but not bad.

As one can see I think the forward group is overall okay, slightly above average even, without any true game breaker as of yet. The Defensive group is just meh to bad.

Part of the reason I always advocate for draft and development is due to cap hit and cap hit per point, it's really difficult for high cap hit player to have a good cap hit per point ratio. Any two or three poor ratio players really drags the team down. It's difficult to not be a bargain on a entry level and still make the NHL.

Overall they are about where they should be in the standings.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Buchnevich- B
Carey- C
Desharnais- C
Fast- B
Grabner-B
Hayes- B
Kreider- C
Lettieri- Too early
Miller- B
Nash- C
Nieves- C
Vesey- C
Zibanejad- B
Zuccarello- B

Holden-C
Kampfer-C
McDonagh- C
Shattenkirk- C
Skjei- B
Smith- D
Staal- C

Lundqvist- B
Pavelec- B

Gorton - C
Vigneault-C

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
On Buchnevich--he's taken a real step forward this year. I'd hesitate to say it was an overlarge step but he's a player that's still got a lot upside and development to do. Talent wise he's as good as any player on the team. He's stronger this year as well but he needs to ratchet that up still quite a bit. He's engaging more in his physical game but he's overpowered by a lot of bigger, stronger players. He had good chemistry with Kreider and Zibanejad early---that kind of disappeared when Mika got concussed and it's like he's been looking for his game ever since. Zibanejad sometimes plays too hesitant--Kreider disappears at times. The line is basically made up of talented but inconsistent players and when they're off---they're really off. Rangers need at least another talented center and judging by the way this season has progressed I'm glad they opted for two centermen in the 2017 draft.

He certainly isn't at a Tarasenko level. Such a comparison, that some here make a case for, would be an interesting thread for his supporters to toss up on the main board!

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Buchnevich - C. The guy needs to learn how to be an effective player in any situation, not just perfect ones.
Carey - B. Gotten way more out of him than expected.
Desharnais - D. Somehow, despite okay production, he has zero impact on the team.
Fast - A. Always know what to expect
Grabner - A. I really thought he was going to revert to 4th line status.
Hayes - C. Ineffective offensive shift after ineffective offensive shift.
Kreider - C. Never really got going this year.
Lettieri - Incomplete
Miller - B. Mostly I’m giving him a better grade because I’m convinced he’s hurt.
Nash - C. Can’t question the effort and leadership, needs to produce more.
Nieves - A. I’ve liked him this year.
Vesey - B. Hardest worker on the team, has been getting rewarded for it on occasion.
Zibanejad - B. Gotta smooth out some of his inconsistencies.
Zuccarello - C. I love him, but he’s been underwhelming. I’m not happy he’s been unable to find chemistry with anyone really.

Holden - B. He’s playing way above his head and doing okay at it.
Kampfer - B. Good 7th guy.
McDonagh - C. When was the last time he took over a shift?
Shattenkirk - C. Exactly average, since his production hasn’t done anything more than balance out his defensive deficiencies. There was a period of time where it did, but more time than it hasn’t.
Skjei - B. Good showing in his second year.
Smith - D. D is for disappointment.
Staal- B. Settled into the third pairing role nicely.

Lundqvist - A. Nothing I respect more than an elite athlete reinventing himself.
Pavelec - B. Adequate backup.

Gorton - Incomplete. Can’t judge a GM in a season until the deadline.
Vigneault - B. I really think this team is overachieving.
Other Coaches - Not enough data.
Power Play - F. They showed themselves what they need to do to have success and then stopped doing it.
Penalty Kill - A. Overachieving here too.
TV Coverage - A. As always.

I agree with most but would have to drop Boo, Vesey and Miller a grade and bump Hayes up one. If the first three played to the grades provided we'd have a better placement in the standings. I have very little faith in our ability to score, and to me Miller, Vesey and Buch need to offer more in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad