Player Discussion Midway Point Report Card 2017-18

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please rate any or all of the names below on a scale of A-F with any comments you would like to include.

Buchnevich
Carey
Desharnais
Fast
Grabner
Hayes
Kreider
Lettieri
Miller
Nash
Nieves
Vesey
Zibanejad
Zuccarello

Holden
Kampfer
McDonagh
Shattenkirk
Skjei
Smith
Staal

Lundqvist
Pavelec

Gorton
Vigneault
Other Coaches
Power Play
Penalty Kill
TV Coverage

Reactions: Ori

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Please rate any or all of the names below on a scale of A-F with any comments you would like to include.

Code:
Buchnevich ---------------
Carey                     |
Desharnais                |
Fast                      |
Grabner                   |
Hayes                     |
Kreider                   |
Lettieri                  | ---------------------- F
Miller                    |
Nash                      |
Nieves                    |
Vesey                     |
Zibanejad                 |
Zuccarello ---------------

Holden ---------------
Kampfer               | 
McDonagh              |
Shattenkirk           | ----------------------- F
Skjei                 |
Smith                 |
Staal ----------------

Lundqvist ----------------
                          | ----------- A
Pavelec ------------------

Gorton -------------------
Vigneault                 |
Other Coaches             | ------------------ F
Power Play                |
Penalty Kill              |
TV Coverage --------------

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Buchnevich B (He was A with Kreider & Zib, but lost his game the last weeks - also based on team injuries, Kreider & Zib concussion.)
Carey C
Desharnais C
Fast B
Grabner B (Borderline A performances, he knows how to score goals for sure.)
Hayes C
Kreider C (He has been A in some games 3 pts in one, but sometimes invisible, but we miss him.)
Lettieri A (1 goal on his debut) :)
Miller B
Nash D Still good on PK, and usually strong defensive, but we all know he is paid to score goals and been declining hard the last 3 seasons.)
Nieves C
Vesey C (He is borderline B recently with Fast on of our good performance guys and he has scored recently - I don`t expect more from 3rd line players. )
Zibanejad B (He was A before the injury - hopefully he find his game.)
Zuccarello B (Borderline A, but too inconsistent sometimes, and maybe because of all the line shuffling hard to work with line chemistry. He was almost 1 PPG until he was out now with flu. )

Holden B
Kampfer D
McDonagh C
Shattenkirk B (Not a strong B and borderline C, but he is our best offensive blueline defender for sure)
Skjei B
Smith F
Staal C (Borderline B, he has been much better than I expected, very positive this season on our 3rd pair with Skjei.)

Lundqvist A
Pavelec B

Gorton B
Vigneault C
Other Coaches C
Power Play C
Penalty Kill B
TV Coverage A

I can explain what I thought about grade A-F in more details.

A is better than expected and usually with top notch performances like Henrik, but we almost wait him to do that based on his elite level and contract. But Henrik is kind of unique and special, our king, because he is 35 and he has been NHL best goalie for a while now, and think about that consider his age! :)

• A for me is better than I expected concerning their raw talent level.
  • B is a very strong performance throughout the season.
  • C. Is still decent and an average grade.
  • D. Can improve in certain areas of his game.
  • F. Is a disappointment for me concerning their talent and performance level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fataldogg

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Buchnevich - B
Carey - C+
Desharnais - B-
Fast - B+
Grabner - A-
Hayes - B+
Kreider - B
Lettieri - B+
Miller - A
Nash - B-
Nieves - B
Vesey - C
Zibanejad - B+/A-
Zuccarello - A-

Holden - B-
Kampfer - C
McDonagh - B+
Shattenkirk - B-
Skjei B
Smith - C+
Staal - C+/B-

Lundqvist - A
Pavelec - B+

Gorton - B+
Vigneault - Z-
Other Coaches - D
Power Play - Started A- but has been C+ recently
Penalty Kill - B
TV Coverage - CONSUME

This was kind of off the top of my head, no deep thought. I'm at work.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Ryan Mc. can be better for sure and he has struggled with some injuries this season. And I expect him to score goals too, but maybe I expect too much from him. I evaluated him concerning their talent level though, and Ryan Mc. was an elite player for us some years ago - an all star defender, but he has struggled this season offensively related to goals since he is on the 2nd PP unit as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buchnevich: A-. He's 1 or 2 in like every important offensive or possession category. He's been worse recently, but top players shouldn't be relegated to lower lines anywhere near as much as he is.
Carey: B. He's done okay. I expected he'd be in Hartford, he hasn't got himself sent back yet, so job well done, I guess.
Desharnais: B+. Produces points, doesn't do much else. He has his uses, but always AV over-uses him or under-uses him. In a 3rd line wing role, he's a good point producer.
Fast: B. He's fine.
Grabner: B+. Produces goals, not a whole lot else. Stats are extremely fluky, but goals are goals.
Hayes: B-. Playing well defensively, points aren't there. Should be on the PP.
Kreider: B+. He didn't start great, but was playing well before he got injured. Always good, and always one of our best players.
Lettieri: Played two games. Can't give an evaluation.
Miller: B+. He's scoring points. I remember after last season people were worried because he had a bad stretch of scoring, he's shown that he can score at a first line rate. His defense is so hit or miss though. Sometimes, he's great, other times he turns the puck over 5 times in a game.
Nash: C. He's paid a lot and he doesn't score points. He's good besides that. Not good enough.
Nieves: B+. He's done fine. Playing his role well. He didn't deserve the scratch the coach gave him earlier in the season.
Vesey: C+. He's been scoring more recently, but still not good enough. Possession, defense are brutal. Overused a lot at times. There are worse NHL'ers than him, but he's not a good NHL'er.
Zibanejad: A-. Started out great. He was our best player early in the season, then he got injured. I blame the coach's lines for most of his recent struggles. He's not being put in a position to succeed. This is a very similar situation to Buchnevich.
Zuccarello: B+. Started out very bad, then he had a great stretch. He's been average the last number of games. His habits this season are not great, in my opinion. Taking a lot of bad penalties, overextending shifts, but he's one of our best players.

Holden: C. Way overused, he routinely is one of the biggest problems with our defense. Probably would do okay in a 6th D role, certainly isn't good enough to face the best forwards in the league.
Kampfer: C. Sucked when he played, but he doesn't play much. Shouldn't be on the team.
McDonagh: B-. He's been very inconsistent so far this season. Some terrible play, some great play. I think he's playing injured. He's one of our best players, so his play isn't among the worst on the team, but not good enough.
Shattenkirk: B-. Copy and paste from McDonagh, except I don't think he's injured.
Skjei: A-. I think he's been pretty good. He's been our most consistent defenseman. He's not doing great, and there are times where he struggles. He's not putting up much offense this season, but he's made big defensive improvements from last season. Every other defensemen has many games per month where they are at fault for a few goals.
Smith: C-. Brutal, bad in every zone. Terrible contract. Lucky he's not in the press box.
Staal: C. Started okay, been bad since. He's not a good NHL defenseman, he has his uses in a 6D role, but he plays too much, and often is one of the worst players on the ice.

Lundqvist: A. Best player on the team. Wins games by himself. The team would likely be embarrassed most games giving up 5+ goals with bad goaltending.
Pavelec: A-. Pretty good. Didn't start great and gets sporadic games, but he's done well when he's played.

Gorton: C. I continue to think he's not a good GM. Offseason didn't fix the defense, its only gotten worse. Why are all our young NHL ready defensemen in the AHL when our defense is so bad?
Vigneault: F. F. F.
Other Coaches: Don't know enough about their contributions, but this is a bad team, so I'd hope they aren't contributing much, otherwise they probably aren't doing good job.
Power Play: C. Great early in the season, bad since. First unit is fine, second unit personnel is a big problem.
Penalty Kill: B. Been okay this season. Didn't start great, but done well since.
TV Coverage: They work for the team, so they say what the team wants them to say. Valiquette might do well in a National TV role where he didn't have to toe the company line.

Last edited:

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Buchnevich- B (Would prob be B+ or A if the coach actually used him)
Carey- C
Desharnais- B-
Fast- B+
Grabner-A
Hayes- B+
Kreider- B
Lettieri- Too early
Miller- B
Nash- D
Nieves- C+
Vesey- B-
Zibanejad- B+
Zuccarello- A

Holden-F
Kampfer-F
McDonagh- A-
Shattenkirk- B
Skjei- B
Smith- C
Staal- D

Lundqvist- A+++
Pavelec- B

Gorton - B-
Vigneault- F-
Other Coaches- C-
Power Play- B-
Penalty Kill- B+
TV Coverage- A-

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Buchnevich - B+
Carey - B
Desharnais - C+
Fast - A-
Grabner - A
Hayes - A-
Kreider - B
Lettieri - B
Miller - B+
Nash - B
Nieves - B+
Vesey - C+
Zibanejad - A-
Zuccarello - A-

Holden - B
Kampfer - C-
McDonagh - B
Shattenkirk - B
Skjei B
Smith - C
Staal - C+

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - B

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Buchnevich - A-
Carey - A
Desharnais - B+
Fast - B-
Grabner - A
Hayes - B+
Kreider - B
Lettieri - A
Miller - D
Nash - C
Nieves - A
Vesey - D
Zibanejad - B
Zuccarello - A

Holden - A
Kampfer - F
McDonagh - A-
Shattenkirk - C
Skjei - C (Honestly, these two ^^ being paired together is probably the cause of their poor grades. f*** AV and every offspring his bloodline spawns for the next 77 generations)
Smith - D
Staal - D

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - A

Gorton - C
Vigneault - What letter represents "go jump off a f***ing bridge"?
Other Coaches - F (except Allaire, he's a gangsta)
Power Play - C
Penalty Kill - C-
TV Coverage - A+++ (they gotta watch this shit 82 times a year and pretend it's great)

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
No grades for me yet, but I find it really funny that in October people wer worried about Lundqvist and everyone, so far, gave him a grade of A (at worst). Good for him.

Honestly, at 35 going on 36 this season, and his effort to keep this team afloat should have him up for Hart consideration. A+ for me on him - I have to give everyone else a little thought.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Buchnevich B- played great to start. Cooled off/linemates injured/coach a buffoon.
Carey B Still see him as a waste of a roster spot, but playing above expectations.
Desharnais - D... but largely based on his usage.
Fast - B+ no complaints at all.
Grabner - A best bang for buck in league? (not including ELC)
Hayes - C scoring seems down but playing tough minutes.
Kreider C+ still seems inconsistent. Not on score sheet often enough.
Lettieri N/A one game sample.
Miller - B disappears sometimes but putting up decent numbers.
Nash - D- worst bang for buck in league? Still good defensively, but logo seeking shot at $8m per?
Nieves - B+ came up strong and has done great.
Vesey - C decent, considering how much people bitch about him.
Zibanejad - A prior to injury. C since.
Zuccarello - B about as expected.

Holden - C misued by the coach but okay, I guess.
Kampfer - C not an NHL player, but did ok considering that.
McDonagh - B- not a true "1D", but the best we have. Get the idea he tries too hard.
Shattenkirk - B PP = great. Rest of game is so-so.
Skjei - B-/C+ Not as good as he played last year.
Smith - D Guess he let himself go a bit too much this summer. $4m guy playing like a $2m guy.
Staal - C - not bad for a guy with one eye I guess.

Lundqvist - A+ Pretty much everyone outside of Nevesis was convinced he was done. Playing great seemingly every game.
Pavelec - A compared to pre-season expectations, he's been fantastic.

Gorton D - didn't fire AV when he had the chance. Apparently let's AV do what he wants.
Vigneault - F*** you.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Buchnevich - B- shouldn't be on 4th line
Carey - B Doing his job effectively
Dessharnais - C gets shit on but has been OK
Fast - B Good hockey player
Grabner - B+ I want to resign this guy
Hayes - B+ Been great in 2C role
Kreider - B- A little inconsistent and will be greatly missed
Lettieri - B small sample size
Miller - B- overall pretty good but makes some bonehead plays
Nash - C does some real good things, Good PK''er, needs to score more not just get opportunities
Nieves - B Pleasantly surprised, Good 4th line center
Vesey - C Good 4th line guy with skill, gets to much undeserved abu
Zibanejad - B+ Still trying to find his game after injury
Zuccarello - A- Just love this guy

Holden - C been adequate
Kampfer -C Did OK when he played, Good 7/8 guy
McDonagh - B- Been good overall but not great
Shattenkirk - C Good offensively and on PP, worse than expected in own zone
Skjei - C+ been decent but thought he would take a bigger step this year
Smith - D disappointment, not nearly the player he was last year in playoffs
Staal - C- been better than expected, not our worst Dman this year

Lundqvist - A+ best player and leader on team
Pavelec - B+ I think we have another solid backup

Gorton - B- team is on pace for nearly 100 points again, Stepan trade was good long term move
Vigneault - F terrible player usage, terrible defensive system, terrible motivator
Other Coaches- D PP still in bottom half after good start, grade does not include Allaire, he is the best
Power Play - C was god for a stretch but back to being mediocre
Penalty Kill - B+ much improved
TV Coverage - B have no complaints, not nearly as homerish as other local tv crews

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
No grades for me yet, but I find it really funny that in October people wer worried about Lundqvist and everyone, so far, gave him a grade of A (at worst). Good for him.

Honestly, at 35 going on 36 this season, and his effort to keep this team afloat should have him up for Hart consideration. A+ for me on him - I have to give everyone else a little thought.

Henrik could have been and should have been a Hart and Vezina finalist every single year he has been in the league but because it is based off of stupid opinions and team success rather than an actual individual performance metrics that mean something, he's rarely considered for the former and always beat for the latter by whomever has the most wins on the best team.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Henrik could have been and should have been a Hart and Vezina finalist every single year he has been in the league but because it is based off of stupid opinions and team success rather than an actual individual performance metrics that mean something, he's rarely considered for the former and always beat for the latter by whomever has the most wins on the best team.

Most years, yes, but not last year. He was pretty bad at times last year but this year he's been terrific.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Buchnevich - B
Carey - B
Desharnais - B-
Fast - C+
Grabner - A-
Hayes - A-
Kreider - C
Lettieri - n/a
Miller - C-
Nash - D
Nieves - C+
Vesey - B-
Zibanejad - B
Zuccarello - B+

Holden - B
Kampfer - n/a
McDonagh - B+
Shattenkirk - C+
Skjei - B
Smith - C-
Staal - C+

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - A

Vigneault - D-

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Buchnevich - B
Carey - A-
Desharnais - C
Fast - B-
Grabner - B
Hayes - B+
Kreider - B
Lettieri - A
Miller - D
Nash - C-
Nieves - B
Vesey - D
Zibanejad - B-
Zuccarello - B-

Holden - B-
Kampfer - D
McDonagh - B-
Shattenkirk - B-
Skjei - C
Smith - D-
Staal - C

Lundqvist - A+
Pavelec - A

Gorton - C-
Vigneault - C
Other Coaches - D
Power Play - D
Penalty Kill - B
TV Coverage - C

Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Buchnevich, C: I can't believe the high grades he's gotten so far. He had a good start to the season, but hasn't done anything impactful since November. He deserves the demotions he's been getting lately. He should be in Hartford if not for the shortage of NHL quality warm bodies up front within the organization.

Carey, B+: One of the biggest positive surprises of the season for me. Takes some bad penalties but contributes offensively way more than I expected him to.

Desharnais, B-: He's been fine as a bottom six scoring option. Looks out of his depth as a top 6 option, which he's been inexplicably used for the majority of the time.

Fast, A: He's our best skater some nights, period.

Grabner, A-: I'm going to miss him when he prices himself out this summer.

Hayes, B: He reinvented himself as a two way center this year. He's ideally on the third line, but pidgeonholed into 2nd line duties to no fault of his own. He's been fine there, but not great.

Kreider, B-: He is what he is at this point. A 25 goal, 45-50 point forward that could have been more if he was a bit more consistent. Still a first line winger in the NHL, and a home run of a pick at #19 overall.

Lettieri, incomplete: He needs to play everyday.

Miller, C-: Disappointing to start the year. After wanting to extend him long term over the summer, I'm not so sure about that now.

Nash, C+, A- if he could finish half of his chances: Self-explanatory. Should be traded at the deadline.

Nieves, C: He's the definition of mediocre to me. Can skate, but has one of the weakest shots I've ever seen at the NHL level.

Vesey, C: He's been pretty awful outside of last night's game, actually. If he keeps his game simple and skates North-South he's a fine bottom six option. He's going to want to be paid for more though. Trade him.

Zibanejad, B: Was rolling before he got hurt. Slowly working himself back.

Zuccarello, B-: Hasn't done anything remarkable, but quietly is putting up numbers. He's going to be a tough decision this summer.

Holden, C: Definition of mediocre on the defensive side. I'd give him a lower grade, but it's not fair that the coach pidgeonholes him into the top pairing role when he's not equipped for it.

Kampfer, Who Cares
McDonagh, B-: He's been fine on the defensive end of things. He needs to increase his offensive output.

Shattenkirk, C+: He's been awful since November. Awesome before that. Who are we going to get for the rest of the year?

Skjei, B-: Going through a predictable sophomore slump. I'd still extend him long term.

Smit,: C-: Just a whole pile of "meh"
Staal, C: Surprisingly passable so far this season, but still not worth his contract

Lundqvist, B+: He's still got it
Pavelec, B: Has been coming on in recent games.

Gorton, C-: He hasn't done enough to address the lack of forward depth. Otherwise an incomplete score until I see what's done at the deadline and during the summer
Vigneault, D-: Can he please change systems or f*** off?
Other Coaches, C-: Special teams are middle of the road.
Power Play, C: See other coaches
Penalty Kill, C: See other coaches
TV Coverage, A+ for Sam's love affair with Papa John's

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

That doesn’t stop them making mid season over reactions either.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Buchnevich - A+ You guys do realize he is barely behind TARASENKO's pace at the same age right?
Carey - B- Very surprised by how well he can develop a cycle game, but his upside is extremely limited. Good 4th liner tho
Desharnais- C- Doesn't do much well. He makes good passes around the net sometimes tho
Fast- B Not flashy but he has a big impact
Grabner- B- Breakaways and ENs.
Hayes - B+ Defensive center? Maybe? Same decisiveness issues, but he gets saddled with Nash to often to be a consistent scorer
Kreider - A- Top line player. Dominant or Good. Depends on the night
Lettieri - Not enough ice time to tell. Looking at you AV
Miller - B- Just Terrible (sometimes) other times he looks good.
Nash- C for chances. He can't finish anymore. Not a top 6 player anymore.
Nieves - B+ great 4C. Needs to stay in the lineup
Vesey- C. Cant pass but when he stays north/south infront of the net he can make a living in the league
Zibanejad - A+ Stay healthy PLS
Zuccarello- B- Holds the puck to much sometimes, sometimes defers too quickly.

Holden - C- Just barely Holden on
Kampfer - F Why waste the money to fly him around with the team....
McDonagh - B I expect more but without him everything falls apart
Shattenkirk - Offensive zone(A) other two zones(F) PP Specialist.
Skjei - B+ He will be our 1D in a couple years
Smith - F for fat. Somehow he cant get in shape and play well
Staal- D started strong but has been garbage since. Dont let him past the red line unless its for a shift change.

Lundqvist - B- Somehow we give up the toughest chances in this "system" but he can survive.
Pavelec- B Not an awful back up

Gorton - No Moves yet. ADA should be playing and Nash or Zucc should be traded at the deadline so we'll see
Vigneault - LOL Fire Him
Other Coaches - Arniel is a joke. Other coaches are non factors
Power Play - That first week was fun. Zucc holds the puck too much. Too little movement between puck and skaters
Penalty Kill - Mcdonagh-Staal is a thing.
TV Coverage- Sam and Joe are past their prime. Joe is incredibly annoying. John G isnt Good or Bad. Who is the future? should start developing someone, Work them in when Sam is out

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How do some people decide our 2nd and 3rd highest point producers get some of the worst grades on the team? I'm afraid narratives are surpassing facts here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buchnevich - A+ You guys do realize he is barely behind TARASENKO's pace at the same age right?
Carey - B- Very surprised by how well he can develop a cycle game, but his upside is extremely limited. Good 4th liner tho
Desharnais- C- Doesn't do much well. He makes good passes around the net sometimes tho
Fast- B Not flashy but he has a big impact
Grabner- B- Breakaways and ENs.
Hayes - B+ Defensive center? Maybe? Same decisiveness issues, but he gets saddled with Nash to often to be a consistent scorer
Kreider - A- Top line player. Dominant or Good. Depends on the night
Lettieri - Not enough ice time to tell. Looking at you AV
Miller - B- Just Terrible (sometimes) other times he looks good.
Nash- C for chances. He can't finish anymore. Not a top 6 player anymore.
Nieves - B+ great 4C. Needs to stay in the lineup
Vesey- C. Cant pass but when he stays north/south infront of the net he can make a living in the league
Zibanejad - A+ Stay healthy PLS
Zuccarello- B- Holds the puck to much sometimes, sometimes defers too quickly.

Holden - C- Just barely Holden on
Kampfer - F Why waste the money to fly him around with the team....
McDonagh - B I expect more but without him everything falls apart
Shattenkirk - Offensive zone(A) other two zones(F) PP Specialist.
Skjei - B+ He will be our 1D in a couple years
Smith - F for fat. Somehow he cant get in shape and play well
Staal- D started strong but has been garbage since. Dont let him past the red line unless its for a shift change.

Lundqvist - B- Somehow we give up the toughest chances in this "system" but he can survive.
Pavelec- B Not an awful back up

Gorton - No Moves yet. ADA should be playing and Nash or Zucc should be traded at the deadline so we'll see
Vigneault - LOL Fire Him
Other Coaches - Arniel is a joke. Other coaches are non factors
Power Play - That first week was fun. Zucc holds the puck too much. Too little movement between puck and skaters
Penalty Kill - Mcdonagh-Staal is a thing.
TV Coverage- Sam and Joe are past their prime. Joe is incredibly annoying. John G isnt Good or Bad. Who is the future? should start developing someone, Work them in when Sam is out

These are good, except I think you are being too harsh on Hank and Desharnais.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad