Blue Jays Discussion: Midway point in the season and things don't look.. Ugh.. Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Crap, I missed that. All the more reason they should have gone all out when they got Vlad. Oh well, they should still be players on the IFAs that don't count towards the pool.

Meh, you can sign FAs if you want experience. I'm not saying you have to trade them, but if someone makes an offer that makes sense, and it includes eating money, then I'm not holding onto them for the sake of "veteran leadership"...

As already pointed out Martin is still a good player. Catchers are very hard to find. Jays have a good one in Martin. He works well with the pitchers and adds experience. I see no point in trading him. I don't think any team will make a substantial offer for him.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Crap, I missed that. All the more reason they should have gone all out when they got Vlad. Oh well, they should still be players on the IFAs that don't count towards the pool.

There were other teams going all-in as well, which always complicates things. Plus, they would have been out for this spending period, too. Any approach will always have SOME drawbacks.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
i find it funny that people keep saying we need to eat money on martin to get value for him when he's one of the best catchers in baseball.

(this list doesn't include platoon catchers like Avila)

Posey 318pa, 142wrc+, 2.9war, 5.9war/650
Grandal 280pa, 109wrc+, 2.1war, 4.9war/650
Sanchez 242pa, 127wrc+, 1.7war, 4.6war/650
Martin 241pa, 115wrc+, 1.6war, 4.3war/650
Realmuto 308pa, 114wrc+, 2.0war, 4.2war/650

pretty sure those are the top 5 catchers in baseball this year.

Martin's great and totally worth his contract. However if we're presented with 3 alternatives:

A) Trade him with no retention, get some decent prospects
B) Trade him with considerable retention, and get some quality prospects
C) Just keep him and have him continue to work with our young and up and coming pitching, lead the clubhouse and maybe even retire as a Jay.

I will GLADLY take either B or C instead of A. Not even close.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
There's no point trading Tulo with no one close to take his place. Until someone is close he'll remain a Jay IMO. Same for Martin. Even then he likely plays out his contract. Both could be moved in the final year of their respective deals if we also suck in that season. JD is really in that same realm. This is the issue with having no one really in the upper tiers of our affiliates. Even trading Liriano and Estrada will create an issue as we won't have any starters to fill the void. I imagine we'll pick up some scraps at the deadline to fill out the roster. Outfield we have Alford, smith jr and Pompey on the cusp so there's room to move there. If there's interest in Jose and he's willing to move.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
There's no point trading Tulo with no one close to take his place. Until someone is close he'll remain a Jay IMO. Same for Martin. Even then he likely plays out his contract. Both could be moved in the final year of their respective deals if we also suck in that season. JD is really in that same realm. This is the issue with having no one really in the upper tiers of our affiliates. Even trading Liriano and Estrada will create an issue as we won't have any starters to fill the void. I imagine we'll pick up some scraps at the deadline to fill out the roster. Outfield we have Alford, smith jr and Pompey on the cusp so there's room to move there. If there's interest in Jose and he's willing to move.

You can't be serious. Tulo's contract is so bad that I'm sure they'd do backflips to move him even if it means that Goins and Barney play every day. Who the hell is going to want Tulo in the last year of his contract? His offense is already negative and by then his defense will be long gone. He's going to be useless in ~2 years if not sooner, just LOL at someone wanting him in 2020.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I expect Tulo to finish the season with a wRC+ north of 100 and around 2.0 fWAR. He's hitting really well right now. Not worth $20 million, but I think his demise has been overstated.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bichette is in the lineup for Dunedin today. Was delayed just started.

I see there is somewhat of a log jam with positions. Biggio, Gurriel, Bichette and Guerrero.

0-1

Not ready for Dunedin. Back to Lansing with him!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I expect Tulo to finish the season with a wRC+ north of 100 and around 2.0 fWAR. He's hitting really well right now. Not worth $20 million, but I think his demise has been overstated.

He does seem to look horrible for stretches at a time, but then always comes around. Perhaps not as well as he used to .......

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You can't be serious. Tulo's contract is so bad that I'm sure they'd do backflips to move him even if it means that Goins and Barney play every day. Who the hell is going to want Tulo in the last year of his contract? His offense is already negative and by then his defense will be long gone. He's going to be useless in ~2 years if not sooner, just LOL at someone wanting him in 2020.

Of course if a team is willing to take his contract he's gone. Didn't think I had to be so specific. To clarify. Without significant retention Tulo is here for the foreseeable future Tulo remains. There is no reason to give him away and eat all or most of his contract just to get rid of him. I said the last year of their deals because that's when they won't be a burden to a team acquiring them. What they are at that point is anyone's guess. Tulo likely with his decline will be a shell of his former self . Anyway, I hope that clarifies it for you. At this point giving away Tulo for nothing and eating his salary does nothing because he isn't blocking anyone. I'd rather him playing than Goins or Barney any day of the week.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Bichette is in the lineup for Dunedin today. Was delayed just started.

I see there is somewhat of a log jam with positions. Biggio, Gurriel, Bichette and Guerrero.

Very trippy feeling seeing those names together again. Feels very retro.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Angels, Blue Jays and Royals are three teams "that have at least mentioned" Dee Gordon in trade talks with the Marlins

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Martin's great and totally worth his contract. However if we're presented with 3 alternatives:

A) Trade him with no retention, get some decent prospects
B) Trade him with considerable retention, and get some quality prospects
C) Just keep him and have him continue to work with our young and up and coming pitching, lead the clubhouse and maybe even retire as a Jay.

I will GLADLY take either B or C instead of A. Not even close.

I'd bet the list of takers for Martin and his contract is zero. His offensive numbers are not very impressive for somebody who hits in the top/middle of the lineup.

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
59 196 35 46 79 6 0 9 19 39 0 53 0 2 .235 .378 .403 .781 1.33

9 HRs but a measly 19 RBIs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'd bet the list of takers for Martin and his contract is zero. His offensive numbers are not very impressive for somebody who hits in the top/middle of the lineup.

:facepalm:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

I wouldn't worry about RBI - our team doesn't really put men on base too well.

You won't find many catchers in baseball who have a .780 OPS while being elite defensively; those types are worth their weight in gold.

For example, Martin has accrued fWar of 1.6 in only 59 games this year, and fWar doesn't even capture his great game-calling and pitch framing.

Martin's a top 5-7 catcher in baseball, there are likely a number of teams who'd love to have him.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Martin is fine; the issue is the back-loaded $60 million left on his deal which almost certainly won't be fine, hence why you'd probably need to eat some of his salary to get something back even though he is still good now. That is a lot of money for a catcher who already has to be rested at an increasing rate (which will only get worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad