Confirmed with Link: Middleton signs for 3 years x $2.4m AAV

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's fair. I think I last had him at a $2.5m x 3.
Yeah, Middleton isn't a player that's inspired any strong opinions from me yet, but the contract seems fine and we do lack size on the back end. One offseason checkbox checked.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He seems to be beloved by teammates, so there's that. And yeah, he did well in his stint last season too.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Decent deal, very close to what I expected. A steal if he actually logs big minutes well.

I really don’t think he’s anything special. Not sure why we have 5 LDs on the roster either.
With this signing, I would be surprised if they didn't trade one.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Didn’t/don’t really see the infatuation with him as a player, hopefully with more games under his belt he’ll bring a little more, but there is definitely a chance this turns into a good value with that aav but I don’t see him as a top-4 defensemen on a top tier team.

Reactions: Spurgeon and AKL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn’t/don’t really see the infatuation with him as a player, hopefully with more games under his belt he’ll bring a little more, but there is definitely a chance this turns into a good value with that aav but I don’t see him as a top-4 defensemen on a top tier team.
It's more that he was better than all the other options, not that he was particularly special, other than providing some size and physicality while being responsible

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's more that he was better than all the other options, not that he was particularly special, other than providing some size and physicality while being responsible

He’s a very unremarkable player. I guess being unnoticeable is a trait of a good defenseman, but I have significant doubts about him performing well with Spurgeon over the course of an entire year.

It’s not an expensive contract, but it’s another one of these $2-3M contracts being allocated to a meh player. Would rather combine his cap with Kulikov/Goligoski and target an actual Top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: AKL

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I see your point but I guess I’m just confused on what we’re doing on the backend in general. We have three bottom pairing LHDs that I’m sure are good dudes and all, but this direction just doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Spurgeon and AKL

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I see your point but I guess I’m just confused on what we’re doing on the backend in general. We have three bottom pairing LHDs that I’m sure are good dudes and all, but this direction just doesn’t make sense.

Middleton is the only one that pairs up well with Spurgeon. Spurgeon can be used in all situations, not just the sheltered role he was in last season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Decent signing. I am ok with Middleton. He is a decent defender who is reasonably tough. MN needs some good defensive Dmen that can push back against physical forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad