Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hopefully this is true, it would be nice to see the console manufacturers compete with hardware again rather than releasing identical boxes that you are forced to buy two of if you want to play all games lol.

A Steam Deck-like handheld seems like a no brainer.
Yeah, I'm a little skeptical on the source, and rumors were they hadn't officially signed on yet with AMD (or whoever else they could choose to use) for production on their next console, which makes 2026 seem a bit early. The other thing floating around from the discord leak which is gaining fire, is that they want to license X-box OS to 3rd parties next gen, although this sounds like a complete disaster from an optimization sense, hard to see how it creates an affordable console, and who would want to do it.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The other thing floating around from the discord leak which is gaining fire, is that they want to license X-box OS to 3rd parties next gen, although this sounds like a complete disaster from an optimization sense, hard to see how it creates an affordable console, and who would want to do it.
Like the 3D0?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's more that it seems mostly self-inflicted, so a natural monopoly occured, just like it did in handhelds.

Curious to see what they actually say next week, but they have a very pissed off rabid fanbase that they've cultivated that has now turned on them. They courted console warriors like Jez Corden, Timdog, etc, and these are the nut jobs leading the charge right now.
There's not much information yet but the way i'm loooking at it Series X owners would be getting a real screw job if Gamepass is available on Playstation. Unless I'd also be able to play all of PS's AAA exclusives in return...wtf would I have an Xbox? How is that fair?

My gaming days a probably coming to end in the coming months anyway so I'm not too bothered by it but that'd be bullshit if PS owners can play Halo but I can't play God of War, Spiderman, Last of Us, etc...

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Phil Spencer admitted in 2022 or 2023 that Xbox lost the console war. Xbox 360 was better than PS3, but losing the XBONE/PS4 generation, where games started turning digital, means Xbox will never be able to catch up again.

It's still a slap in the face to anyone who remained loyal to Xbox during this generation. You waited how long for exclusives, and now you're going to throw them on PS5? I can understand it, but you have to be ready to fully throw the white flag in this console race. Game Pass is going to be the only reason to own an Xbox if this rumour is fully true.

And for the gaming consumers, this sucks. No competition sucks, especially with a pretty anti-consumer company like Sony. You could argue the Switch, which is true, but the console and games are so much different.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There's not much information yet but the way i'm loooking at it Series X owners would be getting a real screw job if Gamepass is available on Playstation. Unless I'd also be able to play all of PS's AAA exclusives in return...wtf would I have an Xbox? How is that fair?

My gaming days a probably coming to end in the coming months anyway so I'm not too bothered by it but that'd be bullshit if PS owners can play Halo but I can't play God of War, Spiderman, Last of Us, etc...
Gamepass is not showing up on Playstation, especially if it offers more than just Xbox first party. The only way it shows up is in a nuked form similar to EA Play and whatever Ubisoft's thing is. Otherwise it messes way too much with Sony's 30% cut on 3rd party sales and its own subscription service. Only way this happens is if regulators (the EU especially) deem console's a essential input like phones (unlikely) and force Sony and Nintendo to put 3rd party store fronts on their consoles. But, the day that happens, console gaming as we know it is likely dead because the prices will go notably up to account for not getting that revenue.

Phil Spencer admitted in 2022 or 2023 that Xbox lost the console war. Xbox 360 was better than PS3, but losing the XBONE/PS4 generation, where games started turning digital, means Xbox will never be able to catch up again.

It's still a slap in the face to anyone who remained loyal to Xbox during this generation. You waited how long for exclusives, and now you're going to throw them on PS5? I can understand it, but you have to be ready to fully throw the white flag in this console race. Game Pass is going to be the only reason to own an Xbox if this rumour is fully true.

And for the gaming consumers, this sucks. No competition sucks, especially with a pretty anti-consumer company like Sony. You could argue the Switch, which is true, but the console and games are so much different.
I think MS expected to lose this generation. What they didn't expect was to be trending towards Wii-U type sales numbers in year 3. Microsoft's own CFO's guidance expects less than 2m Series consoles to be sold in the first half of 2024. It's trending worse than X-Box One in total sales over the same time frame. I think they expected to beat the X-Box One this generation and maybe put a small dent into Sony's dominance. MS needed people to be buying Series Consoles at a respectable rate, because that is where most of their Gamepass subscriber growth is coming from., as cloud isn't progressing at the rate they expected (they are closing Azure in June), and it hasn't caught on to the level they would like on PC. When they pumped like 90b into acquisitions they need to start showing serious growth, even if X-Box is a minor player in Microsofts portfolio compared to Services like windows and office, Cloud and the AI boom that is fueling their current 3 trillion dollar valuation.

Something changed since October. My guess is Starfield didn't give them a sizable boost on either front, and a disastrous holiday season. Series X as down to $350 USD some places and wasn't moving units.

PS3 actually outsold 360, but by a relatively minor margin. X-Box messed up focusing on Kinect, TV, and just letting their first party studios that weren't dedicated to Gears, Forza or Halo die at the end of the 7th gen. 360 started off better than PS3, but Sony closed that generation quite strong with a ton of momentum entering the 8th gen (last truly big exclusive was The Last of Us, the 3 Uncharted games that gen, Infamous, etc.)

While I don't like the lack of competiton. PC is still a massive threat to take dollars away, so is Nintendo switch. Switch 2 may offer pretty high-end performance (not PS5/Series X level), but with NVIDIA DLSS it should be able to play quite a few next gen games, and get significantly more 3rd party support (if MS is releasing on it) than the Switch ever did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
According to Nate the Hate, source behind Hi-Fi Rush coming to other platforms, says that Starfield coming to other platforms is pure fiction

"I'm now of the Belief that Starfield is not happening & the info spread around was pure fiction, I'll own this miss"

Interesting

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
According to Nate the Hate, source behind Hi-Fi Rush coming to other platforms, says that Starfield coming to other platforms is pure fiction

"I'm now of the Belief that Starfield is not happening & the info spread around was pure fiction, I'll own this miss"

Interesting
Who knows what will happen. Starfield wasn't expected soon since it would be after the DLC is released. I doubt if MS officially confirms anything on Monday it will be anything more than Hi-FI Rush and Sea of Theives, and then something vague saying on a "case by case basis" going forward. He's also saying he knows of 2 other games. My guess is one of those is Pentiment, not sure what the other is.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Who knows what will happen. Starfield wasn't expected soon since it would be after the DLC is released. I doubt if MS officially confirms anything on Monday it will be anything more than Hi-FI Rush and Sea of Theives, and then something vague saying on a "case by case basis" going forward. He's also saying he knows of 2 other games. My guess is one of those is Pentiment, not sure what the other is.
What if they do a trade with Sony? You get this game and we get that game? Realistically speaking they'd probably be multiplayers adaptable to cross-platform games, like Sea Of Thieves.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What if they do a trade with Sony? You get this game and we get that game? Realistically speaking they'd probably be multiplayers adaptable to cross-platform games, like Sea Of Thieves.
Sony isn't trading their big AAA's. They have limited reason too. Their big exclusives are profitable in the current format. They have 50m people currently on PS5 and outsold X Box 3 to 1 last year. Microsoft sees their future in Gamepass, Sony is still content with the traditional makeup of selling consoles on exclusives and getting the 30% off 3rd party sales and isn't doing anything that undermines that anytime soon.

Sony may bring live service games, and we know Marathon is coming to Xbox.

Reactions: Khelandros

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So sounds like it’s Grounded, Sea Of Thieves, Hi-Fi Rush, and Pentiment coming to other consoles. Those are all really good games, but all over a year old now. No Starfield or Indiana Jones…yet.

Diablo 4 to Gamepass next month.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So sounds like it’s Grounded, Sea Of Thieves, Hi-Fi Rush, and Pentiment coming to other consoles. Those are all really good games, but all over a year old now. No Starfield or Indiana Jones…yet.

Yeah. I believe we are gonna get a ton of "case by case" which won't end the speculation for pretty much any Microsoft game going forward.

The Insomniac leaks and Sony's financial report yesterday basically shows that modern AAA development has reached an unsustainable point. Looking at Xbox, Nintendo and SIE, it seems that Nintendo is in the healthiest spot financially, yes, they have the least revenue of the 3, but they also have way less expenses. If Sony is having trouble justifying their current expenses on AAA exclusives after a record year for revenue, you have to wonder how much in the red some of Microsoft's exclusives are. Redfall if they weren't backed by Microsoft would probably have killed Arkane Austin. With 5 to 6-year development times for modern AAA titles, one bad launch could easily bankrupt a studio. Gamepass and how secretive MS is about the financials of their gaming division makes it nearly impossible to tell how their first party games are doing financially. Like, we know that Starfield had 10 million copies played, and sold atleast 2 million copies, but we have no idea if it made back it's development budget, even by how Microsoft measures ROI for games on gamepass, and a ton of MS games have to give 5% of their revenue to Epic (Redfall, Gears, and later this year Avowed and Hellblade).

Gaming will never crash like it did in 1983 and it has insane revenue, but it doesn't seem like the industry is in a healthy place at the moment.

Last edited:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

The biggest story in 2024 gaming turns out to be… a non-story. Four random games, okay. Yawn.

Diablo 4 to Gamepass is great news, though!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They own the most popular games people on Playstation, ie. Call Of Duty. The Xbox division is making more money than the Windows division for Microsoft. Also actually releasing games this year.
COD sucks the big one. I’m not a 13 year old with ADHD chugging Mountain Dew every day. I want some cool IP’s like Spider-Man, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima etc…

Xbox has Halo, Forza, and Senua basically.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
COD sucks the big one. I’m not a 13 year old with ADHD chugging Mountain Dew every day. I want some cool IP’s like Spider-Man, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima etc…

Xbox has Halo, Forza, and Senua basically.
PlayStation makes some good games, there’s no doubt about it. However, they’re essentially a one trick pony, releasing the same/similar genre, third person games over and over again.

Xbox definitely is losing the exclusive battle, but they have some hidden gems for sure.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Gears Of War, Fable, Bethesda library and future games.
Bethesda Library has been very underwhelming. Redfall was a huge flop, Starfield received lukewarm reviews. Gears of War peaked in 2011 and is purely a brand name at this point. Fable has no release date yet and is most likely 1.5+ years away from being playable.
Let them make their moves. You hate Xbox so I don’t know why you care so much.
I don't think I'm a hater, I paid $500 for the console and pay $15+/month for gamepass. The Series X has been out for nearly 3.5 years at this point and it doesn't feel like there's any jaw-dropping games available on the system. Meanwhile all these cool games are available on Playstation or PC exclusively. I feel like it's a legitimate gripe.
PlayStation makes some good games, there’s no doubt about it. However, they’re essentially a one trick pony, releasing the same/similar genre, third person games over and over again.

Xbox definitely is losing the exclusive battle, but they have some hidden gems for sure.
Helldivers being the latest example but it is frustrating seeing some of these IP's that other people get to enjoy that I can't. It's been this way for a while now and we haven't seen much to change this current landscape of exclusives.

The Xbox is a great system. I love the UI, i love the controller, i love that the system isn't a bulky chunk of plastic like the PS5. I do wish there were some better exclusives available however because even if they're cookie cutter, it does seem like playstation is continuously pumping out high end content that rewards their consumers for purchasing their system. Nintendo produces out a lot of cookie cutter IP's as well but they're still fun to play.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It's a matter of taste. I've put more time into single games like Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Outer Worlds, Starfield, etc. than I have into Sony's entire library the past two generations despite owning a PS4 and PS5.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad