Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
cm-junk-jpg.jpg

Still funny lol

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
What was he doing? Getting people to watch. It's not like this was a main event match.

I am having a bit of a hard time finding the data right now but I know 2014 was a really rough year for the UFC in terms of PPV buys. 2015 and 2016 thus far have been really good years for PPV buys though the UFC has hit a few under 350k.

In that time, the UFC has created more stars, two major stars in Conor McGregor and Ronda Rousey who continue to absolutely climb in PPV buys each fight. CM Punk was pretty big, a star, so $$.

Here we go.. 2014 had the lowest buys since 2005. Averaged 260,000 buys per PPV in 2014.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/31/7952683/why-ufc-ppv-model-is-doomed-2014-ppv-buys-mma-stats

Mickey Gall was better than expected though I don't see him as superstar. CM Punk just isn't needed as much as he was in 2014. I give the dude credit, but he has no place there. Ratings aren't needed right now.. People loved PRIDE and they had tons of that **** so people will watch - look at Kimbo/Shamrock. If you do another fight, go with a shot veteran like Krazy Horse. Promote it as it is. It's actually kind of unfair for them to cut him in a way. Use him on a Chicago PPV or something.

Krazy Horse is the guy you go with.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
- Punk had only two weeks of training combined before going to the gym.
- He said Punk's jiu-jitsu was very rudimentary.
That's odd. I remember an old Gracie Breakdown video with Punk, thought he had done BJJ before. Apparently his "did BJJ on and off" really meant "took a couple of BJJ classes".

- CM Punk couldn't even tap out white belts, but he had gotten to the level where he could occasionally tap out a blue belt.
Just for the guys who point out that Brock Lensar was submitted in his 2nd fight: when Lesnar was training for his fights, the only man he couldn't regularly tap out was ADCC champion Vinny Magalhaes, who could barely win a position over Bork. And men who he was trainig with included Vitor Belfort ffs.

But hey Lunatic Fridge, the UFC wouldn't throw a man into the cage when he's not ready.

- He didn't want to train in a jiu-jitsu gi (Alvarez commented here saying "I thought this guy would have done anything for this!")
A pure beginner who was scheduled for a MMA fight could have developed bad gi habits. If he trained twice as much without a gi, it's not a bad choice.

I saw this match-up posted. If they do another, possibly do Krazy Horse. Massive PRIDE favourite, not very good, way past his prime though it's sort of fair.
A KO puncher with 60 fights vs an amateur? :amazed: I'm not sure I'd allown Punk to fight Chris Cyborg in White's place.

I thought it was nice of Dolph Ziggler and Miz to show the fight again tonight at Backlash
:handclap: too bad Miz didn't go for a huge swing before getting taken down.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The big idiot here is White. Wtf was he doing? I would have at least thought he'd go in to a gym and watch Punk perform. Watch him do something. :laugh: He got what he deserved.

Again, I'm pretty sure Dana was prepared for this outcome. I don't think he expected Punk to be a guy they'd line up for several shows. For better or worse, Punk's name likely made the event a little more noteworthy than it would have been. I guess we'll wait and see what the PPV numbers are like and whether it justified Punk's payout.

Pretty sure from a financial standpoint, the UFC is gonna do alright with the investment. UFC ran 40 shows last year and a lot of the cards were watered down and/or not particularly compelling. Dana probably doesn't want to do the freak show fights too often, but he's not above bringing in somebody he isn't high on (ie, Kimbo Slice) if he knows it'll boost ratings or PPV buys.

Edit: UFC 198 featured Miocic and Werdum in the main event which drew about 350k PPV buys. The early estimates for UFC 203 is 600-750k.

Last edited:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
That's odd. I remember an old Gracie Breakdown video with Punk, thought he had done BJJ before. Apparently his "did BJJ on and off" really meant "took a couple of BJJ classes".

Just for the guys who point out that Brock Lensar was submitted in his 2nd fight: when Lesnar was training for his fights, the only man he couldn't regularly tap out was ADCC champion Vinny Magalhaes, who could barely win a position over Bork. And men who he was trainig with included Vitor Belfort ffs.

But hey Lunatic Fridge, the UFC wouldn't throw a man into the cage when he's not ready.

A pure beginner who was scheduled for a MMA fight could have developed bad gi habits. If he trained twice as much without a gi, it's not a bad choice.

A KO puncher with 60 fights vs an amateur? :amazed: I'm not sure I'd allown Punk to fight Chris Cyborg in White's place.

:handclap: too bad Miz didn't go for a huge swing before getting taken down.

Krazy Horse is also 37 years old and is riding a 6-14 run dude and I think he has just 1 TKO during that run. He's also got a losing record. It wouldn't be a bad match-up IMO.

Where'd you get that information on Vinny? Vinny's a big boy and absolutely elite BJJ.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Krazy Horse is also 37 years old and is riding a 6-14 run dude and I think he has just 1 TKO during that run. He's also got a losing record. It wouldn't be a bad match-up IMO.

Where'd you get that information on Vinny? Vinny's a big boy and absolutely elite BJJ.
Yeah, I understand that he never was an elite fighter, is small and long past his prime, but he still smashes Punk.

I honestly just remember running into that story some years ago. Yeah, Vinny is a sick BJJ talent, but would anyone be surprised if a freak like Lesnar was indeed a beast on the mat?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Main Card (Pay-per-view)
Stipe Miocic ($600,000 + no win bonus = $600,000) def. Alistair Overeem ($800,000)
Fabricio Werdum ($250,000 + $125,000 = $375,000) def. Travis Browne ($120,000)
Mickey Gall ($15,000 + $15,000 = $30,000) def. CM Punk ($500,000)
Jimmie Rivera ($24,000 + $24,000 = $48,000) def. Urijah Faber ($160,000)
Jessica Andrade ($23,000 + $23,000 = $46,000) def. Joanne Calderwood ($25,000)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
Bethe Correia ($25,000 + $25,000 = $50,000) def. Jessica Eye ($25,000)
Brad Tavares ($28,000 + $28,000 = $56,000) def. Caio Magalhaes ($20,000)
Nik Lentz ($38,000 + $38,000 = $76,000) def. Michael McBride ($12,000)
Drew Dober ($19,000 + $19,000 = $38,000) def. Jason Gonzales ($10,000)

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Yancy Medeiros ($24,000 + $24,000 = $48,000) def. Sean Spencer ($17,000)

500K investment in Punk might have added 15 million dollars in PPV buys.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully Punk enjoys MMA enough to take considerably smaller paydays in other companies... although, I would suspect Bellator signs him just cause.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
In other news, WWE finally pulled the video of Punk's ass off YouTube.

If I didn't know better, I'd guess Vince would be shooting him a text soon, "ready to come back to work, pal!?"

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Hopefully Punk enjoys MMA enough to take considerably smaller paydays in other companies... although, I would suspect Bellator signs him just cause.

He could probably make some serious money in sponsorships.. Sponsors don't pay as much for Bellator, or regional companies, but this guy is someone people are going to tune in to watch. I think the UFC might give him another go.

Probably got more than $500,000 as well. Signing bonus? PPV points? It's interesting. People will tune in.

If not Bellator, I could realistically see Rizzin.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
"Why did he do it?"

"He got embarrassed!"

:yashin: :yashin: :yashin: :yashin:

I'm not too familiar with those payouts, but is 500k really that much to Punk? He couldn't pull that just doing other things than getting his head beat in? 2 full years for 500k for CM Punk is not that good of a pull.

But then again, I could be missing a ton of other things. Sponsors/additional pay/etc. And that guy is a very proud human being, I will guarantee that he's not happy with how that "dream" was fulfilled.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not too familiar with those payouts, but is 500k really that much to Punk? He couldn't pull that just doing other things than getting his head beat in? 2 full years for 500k for CM Punk is not that good of a pull.

But then again, I could be missing a ton of other things. Sponsors/additional pay/etc. And that guy is a very proud human being, I will guarantee that he's not happy with how that "dream" was fulfilled.

Well, I mean... for a fighter in his first fight, it's good. It's the 3rd highest payout on the card. But it's nowhere near what fighters like McGregor, Lesnar, Rousey, GSP (when he fought), Silva (in his prime - and even then he made $700k in July for his fight) get. For UFC 202, McGregor pursed $3-million just for showing up and Diaz got $2-million, for example.

If he has another fight in UFC, though, I would guess the payout is smaller and he's going to be lower on the card.

If Punk really did fight for the love of fighting and not the money, I think he'll continue to do it in smaller companies. If UFC cuts him and he says he won't fight again, well...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Punk's also expected to take home a % of PPV buys, so depending on the cut he gets, it could be an additional $500k - $625k on top of his $500k purse.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Dom Cruz
TJ Dillashaw
Cody Garbrandt
Jimmie Riveria
Urijah Faber

Faber is the favourite over every other BW fighter. It's a really, really shallow division to be fair. He fought those guys all streaking. Michael McDonald had just nearly defeated Renan Barao at that point. Bruce Leroy was taking guys out, Fransico is okay I guess.

I have Dillashaw, Cruz, Garbrandt, Riveria, Lineker, Assuncao ahead of Faber right now at the top of my head. I just don't think Faber will beat anyone in the top 10 anymore...

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Poor Mickey. Beats down a can with no benefit to his career and only gets $30,000.

$30,000 for his 3rd MMA fight? actually really good considering he's paid more than the entry level UFC fighter and, if it wasn't for Punk getting him to the UFC, he'd be making $1K a fight in the regionals for a few years before making the UFC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad