Mickey Gall def. CM Punk via RNC @ 2:14 at UFC 203

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
The difference between schmucks like us taking that beating for that price and Punk is that the embarrassment factor for Punk is significantly higher than any of us. None of us would be embarrassed getting our ass handed to us by a pro fighter. A famous person doing that takes more of a hit in that department and that can impact some revenue streams if it's bad enough.

I think people are also missing all the work and time invested prior to this. He's not doing this if he wasn't successful throughout the rest of his life too. Easy to looks at this as 2 minutes and change of work but really it's the accumulation of over 20 years of work.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm not questioning the transition and effort. I'm sure he put in time... that said, he looked like absolute dog **** from the start of his sparring to the end. He looked god awful, probably the worst I have ever seen anyone look... especially considering how long he was training.

I also question the game plan he had. Who the hell comes in like he did? How did anyone think that was a good idea?

He should not fight in the UFC ever again. It was embarrassing from start to finish. Am I being harsh? Yeah, probably... but it's a fact. He's not a fighter. Maybe he should do some grappling tournaments or something. I have no sympathy for a guy who collected $500K and basically got mangled for 2 minutes without showing a hit of hope.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think people are also missing all the work and time invested prior to this. He's not doing this if he wasn't successful throughout the rest of his life too. Easy to looks at this as 2 minutes and change of work but really it's the accumulation of over 20 years of work.
What about Mickey Gall's hard work? Guy didn't even make 1/10th of what Punk did.

Face it. Punk was a sideshow clown act and Dana White knew it. Dana White would do it again if it meant more buys.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That was the Nog brothers, it was hilarious. That's where Big Nog's "scar came from"... I laughed so hard when he said that a few years ago.

We're likely to get Wand/Sonnen now though, which will be hilarious.

I just can't wait to hear more Sonnen trash talk.

I'm not questioning the transition and effort. I'm sure he put in time... that said, he looked like absolute dog **** from the start of his sparring to the end. He looked god awful, probably the worst I have ever seen anyone look... especially considering how long he was training.

I also question the game plan he had. Who the hell comes in like he did? How did anyone think that was a good idea?

He should not fight in the UFC ever again. It was embarrassing from start to finish. Am I being harsh? Yeah, probably... but it's a fact. He's not a fighter. Maybe he should do some grappling tournaments or something. I have no sympathy for a guy who collected $500K and basically got mangled for 2 minutes without showing a hit of hope.

You simply can't get into the fight game for the first time in your mid-to-late 30s and except success, especially after nearly 20 years in pro wrestling.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What about Mickey Gall's hard work? Guy didn't even make 1/10th of what Punk did.

Face it. Punk was a sideshow clown act and Dana White knew it. Dana White would do it again if it meant more buys.

White knew what he was doing with this. Either Punk won and he'd have another PPV draw or he could use it to legitimize his sport relative to other fighting and wrestling promotions while getting a decent draw out of the one fight he got. This was a no-lose situation for UFC.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto

I mean if you want to disregard the fact that Punk had made his name prior to this and that Gall hasn't been built up much, then sure Gall should make more as well as everyone else on the card.

I haven't said otherwise anyway.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Why are we acting like Bellator is above sideshow ****? They ran and medically cleared a fight between Dada and Kimbo. One would actually die in the fight and be revived and the other would die months later.

Bellator certainly has some legitimate fighters but they love the sideshow. I'm sure they'll keep marching Shamrock out there for another 17 years.

Yet MMA fans would give Bellator more street cred than you would be willing to admit. They developed a strong fan base long before they considered the "sideshow" that you deplore so much.

Pride did the "sideshow" better, but the fighters there were legit.

Yes, that includes the pro wrestlers they had for fights.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I loved Pride back in the day, one of my favorite organizations. One thing in Pride was that most fighters were completely juiced to the gills.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/1...mbers-bring-up-tough-questions-about-cm-punks

Dave Meltzer's buy rate numbers for UFC 203 are a bit lower than the other reporter's estimate. Meltzer says it somewhere between 425,000-475,000 buys, which was still 125,000-225,000 more than an average/comparable UFC event.

In other words, Punk probably brought in anywhere from 125,000-225,000 extra buys, meaning he generated added revenue of somewhere between $3.75 million and $6.75 million for the company. So for all the criticism of the $500,000 base pay Punk earned for his debut, along with a possible percentage of pay-per-view that was Punk's deal ended up being a financial bargain

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I loved Pride back in the day, one of my favorite organizations. One thing in Pride was that most fighters were completely juiced to the gills.

minowaman-vs-giant-silva.bmp

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Mike Jackson, the dude who Mickey Gall beat to get the CM Punk fight, wants to be CM Punk's next UFC fight if Punk doesn't get cut.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Mike Jackson, the dude who Mickey Gall beat to get the CM Punk fight, wants to be CM Punk's next UFC fight if Punk doesn't get cut.

Don't see it happening. Dana and a bunch of folks didn't like the outcome really besides the money. If he fights someone I think it's someone with a name with a few fights. Mike Jackson is like 40, and has never won a fight which includes amateur level.

The UFC had to some sort of expect that.. Legacy and RFA just merged companies. Both companies are SUPER close to the UFC, in fact the president of Legacy just became the UFC's new matchmaker. I could see CM Punk fighting there against someone that's like 2-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad