OT: Michigan Sports Talk IV: The Voyage to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It's been a while but he's a servicable bench player with some power. Not sure how you guys look at LF and RF but I'd assume he's going to play either one of those positions.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Tech beat Michigan tonight in Houghton, the Wolverines first visit to the Copper Country in 30 years.

As a MTU alum, any real amount of success makes me very happy (the team is ranked for the first time in awhile).

Just need to make the NCAA's this year.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It seems like Tech is playing the kind of hockey they usually reserve for The GLI. I hope they keep it up!

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Jays fan here. Thoughts on Andy Dirks (we just claimed him)?

The Dirk Bomb is solid, not spectacular. He uses his speed well in the field. Maybe he'll be more of a base stealer in Tranna; Jim Leyland's teams were not muchfor small ball. Not sure how effective he'llbe after a year on the shelf. At his best he can be effective; i saw him go yard, steal a base and drop a perfect bunt in a game. Definitely nota guy you want batting in a clutch situation, though.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Tech beat Michigan tonight in Houghton, the Wolverines first visit to the Copper Country in 30 years.

As a MTU alum, any real amount of success makes me very happy (the team is ranked for the first time in awhile).

Just need to make the NCAA's this year.

I hope we can manage to steal Pearson back from you guys once Red retires. The dude is getting it done up there.

Also, I miss his temper :laugh:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I hope we can manage to steal Pearson back from you guys once Red retires. The dude is getting it done up there.

Also, I miss his temper :laugh:

I was surprised they hired him this time around, as the rumor was he was upset they hired Tim Waters years ago...but he's a Tech alum, so he might've wanted to come back home. (and if he wanted a challenge at rebuilding a program...)

The only niggle, is money, and the Yooper schools can't compete with the B10 or even the NCHC schools. There's a lot of hockey history between Tech/Michigan/NoDak/Minny, but money rules everything.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Dirk Bomb is solid, not spectacular. He uses his speed well in the field. Maybe he'll be more of a base stealer in Tranna; Jim Leyland's teams were not muchfor small ball. Not sure how effective he'llbe after a year on the shelf. At his best he can be effective; i saw him go yard, steal a base and drop a perfect bunt in a game. Definitely nota guy you want batting in a clutch situation, though.

Also gobs of injury problems. In the end, that had to play a part in the Tigers letting him go. Just couldn't count on him staying healthy for a full season.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Also gobs of injury problems. In the end, that had to play a part in the Tigers letting him go. Just couldn't count on him staying healthy for a full season.

That, and the emergence of J.D. Martinez. If you follow hockey & baseball, which I assume anyone inquiring about Dirks on a hockey site would, you could call him the Darren Helm of baseball.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Remember when Donny Kelly baby pitched early in the season? Talk about the art of pitching. Really had the yellow hammer going. Like Zubor Buick in Taylor. Nice area.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Sparty's D got burned all night long, and Meyer got his revenge is a big way.

And while State did put up 37, I thought the offense was out of sync too, making uncharacteristic drops, Cook wasn't accurate, and too many penalties.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Sparty's D got burned all night long, and Meyer got his revenge is a big way.

And while State did put up 37, I thought the offense was out of sync too, making uncharacteristic drops, Cook wasn't accurate, and too many penalties.

OSU should have put up 70.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lions winning games they normally lose. Keep it up!

Yup being on the other side of these close games is nice for once and shows a lot of heart from a lot of the players, especially Stafford. Good teams make those comebacks.

The Lions D is still holding strong, even through injuries as well for those who said they wouldnt be top 10...

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Lions still leave a lot of points on the field when they control the play.

That game felt like they should've dominated. Grimes was the unsung hero of the game...really kept Calvin under control but he still went for 100+ and a score.

The thing that makes this team appealing is their resiliency and growing confidence. This looks like a completely different team from last year. The Packers might eventually catch them for the division but I think this is a playoff team.

Monster game next week against Arizona (sans Palmer)...for first place in the NFC?!?!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That game felt like they should've dominated. Grimes was the unsung hero of the game...really kept Calvin under control but he still went for 100+ and a score.

The thing that makes this team appealing is their resiliency and growing confidence. This looks like a completely different team from last year. The Packers might eventually catch them for the division but I think this is a playoff team.

Monster game next week against Arizona (sans Palmer)...for first place in the NFC?!?!

Yeah the lions can definitely win next week. Stanton is no good and I have a feeling this defense will have fun with him back there. Calvin will be back with a week of work under his belt, Peterson willtake him leaving Tate to do what he wants out there.

It was winnable before but no Palmer really made it look like the Lions have a legit shot. If they can even go 1-1 I would be pumped over these next 2 games

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Riddick is making Bush irrelevant. All we needed is a pass catching back, and Riddick has found the endzone the last 3 weeks. Bell is capable of handling most of the carries. I just wish he would stop trying to go east to west when he's clearly a north/south runner. He could plow ahead for 3-4 yards on most carries just by falling forward. Stafford and co. are always going to do their thing, but I wish we could get some consistent running going on. It'll help Detroit keep some leads without having to rely on the late game heroics, even if it as much fun to watch as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad