OT: Michigan Sports Talk IV: The Voyage to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Austin Jackson has been ballin this spring. What's going on with Iglesias?

shin splints, or something similar (the other day they got picky about what they were calling it). He's just got to rest and wait for his lower legs to heal up and he's being fitted for shoe inserts.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Michigan scrapes past Illinois...really had trouble with the Illini's 2-3 zone and they played with a lot of length on the floor. Kinda surprised to see them struggle considering they beat THE zone team last year in Syracuse in the Final Four.

Also shows how important Jordan Morgan is to this team. They gave away the lead after he got his 4th foul. And when he was back on the floor, he was a matador on defense so he wouldn't foul out. Michigan will get bounced in the tournament when they face a team with too much length and talent in the front court.

Eager to see the rematch with Ohio State after Michigan took them down in Columbus. Impressive comeback in the second half on Nebraska by the Buckeyes...I wondered if Michigan would have a third meeting with the Huskers.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
So, Iglesias might be out awhile. And there are some rumors we might go after Drew if we think Iglesias will be out awhile. Great way to start the season.

he's only 24 so its better to get this out of the way now. rather than let it get worse over time. the Wings management could learn a few things here. maybe if Zgot his back taken care of a few years back we would be looking good in the playoff picture right now. (I put an 8 point swing on this team with a healthy Z verses without him.)

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
money and we lose our first round pick for a guy we might need for a month.

Yep. There is a reason why he remains a free agent. Same for Ervin Santana until an injury with Atlanta.

That said, Detroit has been linked to Stephen Drew for years.

My guess is that Detroit will bide their time. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do sign him.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
money and we lose our first round pick for a guy we might need for a month.

I get the money reason but this team is built to win now. I would start the season without him and see how we do. if there is a noticeable hole in the infield and his replacement isn't making anything happen offensively (either in batting average or stolen bases) then sign him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I get the money reason but this team is built to win now. I would start the season without him and see how we do. if there is a noticeable hole in the infield and his replacement isn't making anything happen offensively (either in batting average or stolen bases) then sign him.

A fair bit of this team was built through guys we drafted and sold way high on, though. We've never had a really strong group of prospects under DD, but he's certainly leveraged every bit of it into bringing in some quality pieces. And first round picks have been a fair share of that.

I don't remember, but has baseball made it okay to trade picks yet? If so, I'd look to trade for a guy before signing Drew. If we're giving up the pick either way, maybe we can get someone a bit better or a bit more versatile (such as being able to slide into left field when Iglesias comes back and before Dirks gets healthy - assuming one happens before the other).

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Start the season without making a move and you can always make a move later...I can understand not going with Drew due to the 1st round compensation.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Definitely not interested in Drew for big $$ and a 1st round pick. Lest we forget, Drew is hurt all the time too and would be likely to miss extended time anyway.

Go Sparty!

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Iglesias out for season

The immediate reaction to this news was that the Tigers may be interested in acquiring free agent Stephen Drew from the Boston Red Sox (acquiring all of Boston's shortstops, I see!), happy ending right? Nope. According to Tigers owner Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers are planning on solving this problem from within. The options in that situation would be potentially using Steve Lombardozzi at SS (who's career line reads .264/.297/.342, his spring training line with the Tigers currently reads .250/.267/.250), or delving into some minor league shortstops such as Danny Worth, who was designated for assignment when the Tigers signed reliever Joba Chamberlain.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I have MI & MI ST meeting in the finals of the Final Four.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

are the Tigers and Wings sharing training staffs now?

Staying internal is the right choice right now. Iglesias didn't exactly carry a big bat, so if we can find someone who is competent at the position and not a total disaster at the plate. Worth's always had a decent glove,or maybe the kid from Erie (Suarez?) can make a grab for the spot.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I have them both in the final four with MSU winning everything and UofM being knocked out in the final four by Arizona.
That's smart. MI is my fav so I went with them to win it all. I have AZ & KS in the Final Four. It's a weird tournament. MSU & Louisville are both #4 seeds and favorites to win it all.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
And 90% of America has its bracket busted and it's not even 3pm yet.
I can't prove it to you (although admitting I picked MI over MI ST in the final should give me some credibility with you), but I picked Dan Patrick's alma mater Dayton. The other first round upsets I picked are Harvard, Providence, ND St., NC St., and TN. If I was going to lie about my bracket (MI to win it all!), I would never admit picking so many upsets in the first round. ;) My parents met at MI. Enjoy the tourney, my friend! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad