Player Discussion Micheal Haley on Waivers

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
so Haley

so Haley cleared but is still with the Rangers. why won't they send Haley down? he is the new Tanner???

As of this moment, they only have 12 healthy forwards available for Wednesday. What if someone ends up a game-time decision and can't go? They need that 13th forward available. As soon as Zibanejad is ready to come back, they'll send him down. They have 30 days to do so.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
they couldn't bring up someone more useful like Lettieri, O'Regan, Di Guiseppe or someone who has more NHL skill than Haley.
There is no reason to call up one of those players and expose them to waivers for something so short term.

FWIW, I don't remember if O'Regan or Di Guiseppe are on two way contracts but I know Lettieri isn't.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like Haley and the energy he brings.
I didn’t enjoy watching Glass or McLeod or Pyatt or most of the number 12/13 forwards they usually sign. But I enjoyed Haley. I hope he stays with the organization. We have a few guys who could learn about how to bring it *every shift*.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...FWIW, I don't remember if O'Regan or Di Guiseppe are on two way contracts but I know Lettieri isn't.

sorry i dont get the point here implying the 2-way contracts affecting the decision to recall the player,
as beaten to death here (everywhere in the hockey-verse),
the only affect of a 2-way contract is being paid less in the minors

but also.per Cap friendly. Lettieri IS on a 2-way contact
Vinni Lettieri - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
SEASONCAP HIT AAV P. BONUSES S. BONUSES BASE SALARY TOTAL SALARY MINORS SALARY
2019-20$700,000 $700,000 $0 $0 $700,000 $700,000 $100,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
so are ORegan and DiGiuseppe,
all 3 have a NHL salary of $700k
New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

however, ORegan and DiGiuseppe, also Nieves or Fogarty (... and Belesky) are waiver vulnerable

Lettier and Gettinger are still waiver exepmt

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
moved what i posted here to HWP thread, it was even further from Haley topic than my tangent above ...

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Who is Lias going to play with when he gets called up now???

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
There is no reason to call up one of those players and expose them to waivers for something so short term.

FWIW, I don't remember if O'Regan or Di Guiseppe are on two way contracts but I know Lettieri isn't.

A call up from the AHL has to play 10 games or remain on the NHL roster for 30 days in order to have to pass through waivers on the way back down..

Reactions: Gardner McKay

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the main problem is with Mika out the forward depth on the bottom lines aren't good enough to step up in any significant way. We're down to 6-7 forwards able to carry their weight. I see some value in what Haley brings but really he's the easiest guy to send down because he's the last guy you'd want to move up a line.

Uncle Sid

Nov 30, 2007
New Jersey
They are obviously looking for a player to fill a specific role that no one else on the team is capable of filling. And no, I'm not just talking about fighting. We all loved Prust when he was here. I'd love to find another guy like that. We need to start finding guys like that in the draft. Target guys who are good skaters, have good size and a high motor, and play a physical, grinding game.

I am totally on board with that, I loved Prust and understand the need for that type of player. The limited ice that Haley saw, it was just frustrating to watch.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Finding the next Prust is all well and good, it would just be nice if the Rangers didn’t try to do it by signing players that play nothing like him, have never been as good as he was, and will never be as good as he was.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Finding the next Prust is all well and good, it would just be nice if the Rangers didn’t try to do it by signing players that play nothing like him, have never been as good as he was, and will never be as good as he was.

Mind you I don't mind Haley but he's probably where he should be in Hartford. Caps signed Garnet Hathaway as a UFA this summer. 4 years at $1.5 mil per for a very aggressive 27 year old who is a capable bottom 6 forward. That would have been a good guy to target but there were worries over cap space (since figured out) and perhaps Hathaway would have signed with the Caps anyway. We were a bit constrained. Right now we need our depth guys to do more.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mind you I don't mind Haley but he's probably where he should be in Hartford. Caps signed Garnet Hathaway as a UFA this summer. 4 years at $1.5 mil per for a very aggressive 27 year old who is a capable bottom 6 forward. That would have been a good guy to target but there were worries over cap space (since figured out) and perhaps Hathaway would have signed with the Caps anyway. We were a bit constrained. Right now we need our depth guys to do more.
You hit it on the head. The cap space had everything to do with it, I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad