Value of: Michael Rasmussen

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yep. There's no good reason to trade him now.
Yeah, it would be nice if he was further along. But man, there's a lot of players from that draft sucking wind so far.
I remember getting ridiculed for saying the Wings should draft Robert Thomas at 9 - saying he had some Datsyukian qualities.
"But he doesn't score enough goals" they said.
Doesn't look so bad now.

Thomas was my guy until draft day. I would have dropped Thomas like a hot potato to draft Vilardi when he fell.
I'm right there with you on Robert Thomas, I posted I would draft him 1000x at 9 before Rasmussen before the draft. I wanted Vilardi (and Necas) more on draft day, even posted the Ron Paul "It's Happening" gif, and was immediately gutted. I think Ras has a lot of good to his game though, I think we still have time for him to be a really good player in our middle six that points the needle toward winning.

Reactions: teddygmr

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I think the opposite is what has made the Wings board insufferable. Everyone is woe is me and loves to repeat how much they hate specific Wings prospects/players over and over.
I love reading 50 different posts by the same poster saying the same thing.
I am being punished by having my “like” button removed, so:

“like”

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
only on HF would someone say Ras's offense translates better to the NHL over Veleno.
holy hell. this is why i spend less time at this place. just such an overall poor assessment. guess ill agree to disagree. He's not a unique weapon. He's a net front guy while Veleno has the potential to be a skilled/finesse top 6 guy. i dont see how a 6'6 guy tipping pucks but cant skate for shit is a unique weapon. A unique weapon is a 19 year old Datysuk with silk hands that no one knew would be a 80 point guy. A unique weapon is a 19 year old kronwall blasting guys. A unique weapon is even a 19 year old Helm who was probably the fastest guy in the league for a bit but never got credit. Not tipping pucks. The odds of him being Holmstrom are 10%.

Come on guys. If you want to tell me you're trying to make the most out of a poor pick, great ill get behind it. He was NOT a good pick where he was. I know we're stuck with it but that doesnt mean he passes the eye test on most of these "accolades". Some of you make him out to be the nest Blake Wheeler when in reality he'll be lucky to be Brian Boyle.

People wont agree with me, and thats fine. I dont need it. But my god some of you are delusional and that same delusion is with people thinking Holland and co did a good job with that HORRENDOUS 2017 draft. They had so many picks and there's potential where Lindstrom might end up being the best one. Good player but my god.
Has literally anyone said 2017 is a good draft?

All Wings fans are saying is that he is FAR from a finished product and he was a raw prospect from the day he was drafted. No GM is going to give a high value to him now, but we shouldnt give him up for a 2nd rd pick either.

He has a great D +1, a "meh" D+2 where he shouldn't have been in the NHL and a pretty good D+3. We'll see how he progresses but acting like a player like him is a dime a dozen prospect is plain wrong. Vast majority of players with his size dont have the offensive potential that he has.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
Has literally anyone said 2017 is a good draft?

All Wings fans are saying is that he is FAR from a finished product and he was a raw prospect from the day he was drafted. No GM is going to give a high value to him now, but we shouldnt give him up for a 2nd rd pick either.

He has a great D +1, a "meh" D+2 where he shouldn't have been in the NHL and a pretty good D+3. We'll see how he progresses but acting like a player like him is a dime a dozen prospect is plain wrong. Vast majority of players with his size dont have the offensive potential that he has.
His D+1 was not great in any way

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
After recovering from injury that was nagging him the first half he scored at a 100pt pace and absolutely demolished the playoffs.

Context isnt hard to lookup.
Its funny you allow for context when discussing Red Wings players. Thats new

Anyways your boy is a bust,, a 2nd rounder is an overpayment at this point

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
That was 2017-2018. Is he healthy now. Is he dominating Austria because he should be.
Your quoting a comment that was specifically replying to another comment talking about his D+1 season. It's not like he was saying "He's an A+ prospect because of this stat"

And yeah... he has 11 points in "10" games. Not really sure what more you want in such a small sample size

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
That was 2017-2018. Is he healthy now. Is he dominating Austria because he should be.
Although I agree he should do well in Austria I would say even if he dominates there I don’t see a lot of meaning to it. I don’t believe the international ice surface plays to what will be his strengths as a NHL player. More than anything I see it as a place to work on some of his weaknesses.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Yep. There's no good reason to trade him now.
Yeah, it would be nice if he was further along. But man, there's a lot of players from that draft sucking wind so far.
I remember getting ridiculed for saying the Wings should draft Robert Thomas at 9 - saying he had some Datsyukian qualities.
"But he doesn't score enough goals" they said.
Doesn't look so bad now.

Thomas was my guy until draft day. I would have dropped Thomas like a hot potato to draft Vilardi when he fell.
I’m assuming this ridicule came from somewhere else considering you joined HFB in July 2019?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I’m assuming this ridicule came from somewhere else considering you joined HFB in July 2019?
Some people have multiple profiles (not saying MBH does), for various reasons. Others (like me) forget their log-in and/or which email they signed up with & get a new device & voila..."a new" poster. I've been on here 20 yrs (similar username), but you wouldn't know it by my profile.

Reactions: LazyT

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Mostly a meaningless discussion if you are not really progressing fast enough. He looks like he's on the Casey Mittelstadt path to the NHL
Weird that he'd be on the same path as a guy that was drafted the same year and general area of the draft 3 years later. As opposed to the Vilardi path? Be injured for 2 years then go to the AHL/NHL? Should they have done the Cody Glass path with 2 years of CHL then to the NHL for .33 points per game? If we could go back and draft Necas we probably would, but I really don't get the Mittelstadt comment. Rasmussen sucks because he couldn't go to the AHL at 19? He showed progress in his season last year, idk what you're getting at.

By the way, that discussion was meaningless TO YOU. The guy referenced his draft year, it was being discussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If we could go back and draft Necas we probably would, but I really don't get the Mittelstadt comment. Rasmussen sucks because he couldn't go to the AHL at 19? He showed progress in his season last year, idk what you're getting at.

If you traded Rasmussen today, ask yourself what he would be worth in picks. If you think a first rounder, you are dreaming. He's not worth any more than Mittelstadt. That's not saying his career is over or he's a 100% bust but the value has dropped substantially. I can't see a top 40 pick for either guy at this point. Sabres have a second rounder doing more in that Austrian league than Rasmussen. So many guys from the 2017 draft are now ahead of Mittelstadt and Rasmussen right now. Henri Jokiharju (drafted 29th and now with Sabres] has way more value.

You want to feel better about Mittelstadt and Rasmussen picks, they could be Lias Andersson who is an even bigger longshot. I doubt I trade a top 60 pick for that guy.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
If you traded Rasmussen today, ask yourself what he would be worth in picks. If you think a first rounder, you are dreaming. He's not worth any more than Mittelstadt. That's not saying his career is over or he's a 100% bust but the value has dropped substantially. I can't see a top 40 pick for either guy at this point. Sabres have a second rounder doing more in that Austrian league than Rasmussen. So many guys from the 2017 draft are now ahead of Mittelstadt and Rasmussen right now. Henri Jokiharju (drafted 29th and now with Sabres] has way more value.

You want to feel better about Mittelstadt and Rasmussen picks, they could be Lias Andersson who is an even bigger longshot. I doubt I trade a top 60 pick for that guy.
This whole post is completely out to lunch. One point specifically is more outlandish than the rest; the fact you think points in 11 games in the Austrian league that is played on international ice with players he has never played with before in a country he has probably never seen before has a direct correlation on his future as a NHL player.

What a non sensical way to grind your axe.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This whole post is completely out to lunch. One point specifically is more outlandish than the rest; the fact you think points in 11 games in the Austrian league that is played on international ice with players he has never played with before in a country he has probably never seen before has a direct correlation on his future as a NHL player.

What a non sensical way to grind your axe.

That's one point. If you think Rasmussen could land a first-rounder in the next draft, you are dreaming. It's not reality. As a Sabres fan, I'm not happy abut the diminished value of Mittelstadt but i know it's reality.

The issue for both players is whether you monetize what ever value is left or just just play it out.
More often than not, you get a Yakupov fate (third rounder) holding on too long.

I certainly get why you hold on to a Mittelstadt or Rasmussen. A 45th overall is mostly a long shot NHL player so you stick with the guy with a good pedigree and there's no risk he turns it around elsewhere.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I could be wrong, but I think there's 2 types of Red Wings fans here:

"He's a bust and we should trade him for whatever we can get"
vs.
"He's not a bust and is coming along nicely. Why would we trade him?"

I'm not sure the "We should trade him for a 1st round pick" opinion exists

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Good. I think Mittelstadt and him have remarkably similar value. I'd take a top 40 for Casey right now, don't think it would happen. I think both guys might be trending towards 55 to 60 picks.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
That's one point. If you think Rasmussen could land a first-rounder in the next draft, you are dreaming. It's not reality. As a Sabres fan, I'm not happy abut the diminished value of Mittelstadt but i know it's reality.

The issue for both players is whether you monetize what ever value is left or just just play it out.
More often than not, you get a Yakupov fate (third rounder) holding on too long.

I certainly get why you hold on to a Mittelstadt or Rasmussen. A 45th overall is mostly a long shot NHL player so you stick with the guy with a good pedigree and there's no risk he turns it around elsewhere.
I think you are having a hard time with him being thrown into the NHL in D1 where being a player wasn’t the 1st goal. He has a strong start in D2 but got injured and still finished with a respectable season. He’s showing progression and doing well don’t worry about him.

Reactions: teddygmr

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How dare I bring up his D+1 season in a discussion about his D+1 season?

He didn't dominate for long enough for anyone to say "he's learned all he can learn in the WHL."
That's the problem.
CLearly, he was nowhere near ready the NHL, lacking basic building-block parts of the game.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I could be wrong, but I think there's 2 types of Red Wings fans here:

"He's a bust and we should trade him for whatever we can get"
vs.
"He's not a bust and is coming along nicely. Why would we trade him?"

theres also : hes a bust but we cant get much for him now so might as well keep him and hope hes a late bloomer , while also relishing in the fact the lost front office that drafted hims gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad