Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Yes clearly - but that's not what you wrote, to which I responded too.

What does Carey Price re-signing his contract when it's up in 3 years, have to do with the decision to send down McCarron for more seasoning?

Do you really think Carey Price is gonna be like

"well, I really wanted to re-sign here...but you guys sent McCarron back down 3 years ago and that really turned me off"

Like come on...

Well obviously, but if you think this is the only miscue, you've missed a couple of years.

Agents want their clients to be on a winning team with a strong organization think Black Hawks, where the coach and GM are well balanced and don't play favourites. I heard Scotty Bowman say you don't try to break a stallion you direct them. I think about PK ( one of Prices best friends) being that wild stallion and MT trying to turn him into a gelding. That being said......no Price will not make a decision based on Big Mac or his friend PK, he'll do what's best for his family and success on the ice.

Sorry I went back to that, I've seen this team fall apart before. Reggie & Mario.

My ask of you was do you think DD is better hockey player than McC on the 3rd line. I do not believe in conspiracy theories but I do believe MT selects DD over others based on something other than hockey. And that MB doesn't call him on it or even see it.

I apologize if I've gone over the line with anyone........it's the only team I've cheered for.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well obviously, but if you think this is the only miscue, you've missed a couple of years.

Agents want their clients to be on a winning team with a strong organization think Black Hawks, where the coach and GM are well balanced and don't play favourites. I heard Scotty Bowman say you don't try to break a stallion you direct them. I think about PK ( one of Prices best friends) being that wild stallion and MT trying to turn him into a gelding. That being said......no Price will not make a decision based on Big Mac or his friend PK, he'll do what's best for his family and success on the ice.

Sorry I went back to that, I've seen this team fall apart before. Reggie & Mario.

My ask of you was do you think DD is better hockey player than McC on the 3rd line. I do not believe in conspiracy theories but I do believe MT selects DD over others based on something other than hockey. And that MB doesn't call him on it or even see it.

I apologize if I've gone over the line with anyone........it's the only team I've cheered for.

TODAY?

I think Desharnais is a better player...do I expect that to be the case come Xmas time or even next year?

No...I think Desharnais is just keeping that seat warm until McCarron, who again, doesn't even have 1 full season of pro hockey under his belt, is ready.

And no need to apologize man...we're just talking :yo:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I heard Scotty Bowman say you don't try to break a stallion you direct them. I think about PK ( one of Prices best friends) being that wild stallion and MT trying to turn him into a gelding.

Umm...I know they are very good friends but don't recall anything about being best friends...
On the other hands, it's not as if Price and Weber are strangers and aren't chummy with each other considering they are training buddies...

My ask of you was do you think DD is better hockey player than McC on the 3rd line. I

The better question is which is better for McC's development as a player, specially his offensive development. Playing top line minutes and responsibility as the go to guy in the AHL or playing 3rd C with limited if not no PP time in the NHL... Personally I think some time in the AHL will do wonders.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

Sounds like Bergy really liked Big Mike. I'm assuming he wants him to play more minutes and doesn't want to plug him on the 4th line or as the 13th forward and that's why he sent him back down. He'll be a nice replacement whenever we get rid of DD.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The better question is which is better for McC's development as a player, specially his offensive development. Playing top line minutes and responsibility as the go to guy in the AHL or playing 3rd C with limited if not no PP time in the NHL... Personally I think some time in the AHL will do wonders.

This all depends on his role in St Johns. Playing under Sly may actually be detrimental to his progression...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No offensive but you are quoting Pierre McGuire? Dion Phaneuf's Pierre McGuire?

So I like Lehkonen....he JDLR and McC were picked in the same draft. McC has been a good "soldier" coming to every camp working his ass off and repeatedly being sent down as guys like DD Semin Kassian De la Rose and others are penciled in, warts and all. So Mac "do the work, do all that we ask"....but MT & MB don't want you?

McC has improved every year. Anyone who believes DD is a better 3rd line option, IMHO, is not aware of what McCarron brings.

see, that's the problem, you lack respect for people in the know, people who are connected to no end. The man has been in hockey since the early 90's, worked under Scotty Bowman, arguably one of the best hockey minds in the last 40yrs, yet you ridicule him as though your hockey knowledge is higher than his. Who are you plugged in with at the NHL level, which management group did you go have lunch with....my guess is NONE!!!!!!

What's next, you gonna tell Donald Trump how to make $$$$

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
see, that's the problem, you lack respect for people in the know, people who are connected to no end. The man has been in hockey since the early 90's, worked under Scotty Bowman, arguably one of the best hockey minds in the last 40yrs, yet you ridicule him as though your hockey knowledge is higher than his. Who are you plugged in with at the NHL level, which management group did you go have lunch with....my guess is NONE!!!!!!

Hey!!

Is that you Don Cherry?

rubco55

Feb 15, 2016
Toronto

Well, McGuire is connected, has knowledge...but everytime I hear his name or his voice, I can only think of:'' This is not a fit for Montreal!"....lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNOtoJ8vb0

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Sounds like Bergy really liked Big Mike. I'm assuming he wants him to play more minutes and doesn't want to plug him on the 4th line or as the 13th forward and that's why he sent him back down. He'll be a nice replacement whenever we get rid of DD.

I don't disagree with wanting him to play 21 minutes a night but if there are "roster issues" it's because Bergevin himself signed Mitchell/Flynn/Byron/Danault :laugh:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I don't disagree with wanting him to play 21 minutes a night but if there are "roster issues" it's because Bergevin himself signed Mitchell/Flynn/Byron/Danault :laugh:

I don't see what people have against Mitchell and Byron. Mitchell is a solid bottom 6 C who had a career year last year (11g, almost hit his max in pts too)

Byron is a speedy PKer who also contributed goals in a bottom 6 role. Both these players do exactly what MB has said in the past about getting a good collective number of goals out of your bottom 6 forwards.

While I agree Flynn isn't great he's essentially a #12-13 that will get played out of the line up by a youngster when the time comes. All three of these players are also paid what they're worth and I don't feel giving term to Byron was all that detrimental given what he's paid.

Danault is a young C with size who could already possibly put up 20pts with some room to grow. I don't see him as anything special but he's certainly not horrible either and he's also paid accordingly.

How people have flack with any of these guys other than maybe Flynn I don't get. Would you rather McCarron playing in Flynn's role getting 7 mins a night on the 4th line? I know I wouldn't.

If you want to have beef with anyone it's DD and his 3.5 million end of story imo.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

So you would rather see him play 8 minutes a night or some nights not play at all, instead of dominating the AHL while playing 20 plus a night.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

None of those guys play 21 minutes a night anyways, so it's not really because of them. Excluding Flynn, I believe they all bring something to the team and form a really good 4th line that combines speed and energy. I wonder if the plan is to eventually make Big Mac take Plekanec's spot as a 2C, since 3rd liners usually don't play that much. I think that DD is the one keeping him from playing in the NHL and only when he's gone (pray that he's not re-signed) will be McCarron's time to shine. For now, he'll be the first callup if we ever have injuries.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Still think DD is not the one keeping Mac in the minors. While he's progressed tremendously, he has ways to go. Not only that but I believe he is much better suited to the wing. Surprised that we insist so much on having him play center when he was drafted as a winger and only really played center for that second half of season in Oshawa. He's certainly looked much better at wing and it makes sense since it allows him to use his strength along the boards more often.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

awesome that he said that. Big Mac's development has been very very good. i still think he can be a lot better. He's gonna be a beaut.

I don't see what people have against Mitchell and Byron. Mitchell is a solid bottom 6 C who had a career year last year (11g, almost hit his max in pts too)

Byron is a speedy PKer who also contributed goals in a bottom 6 role. Both these players do exactly what MB has said in the past about getting a good collective number of goals out of your bottom 6 forwards.

While I agree Flynn isn't great he's essentially a #12-13 that will get played out of the line up by a youngster when the time comes. All three of these players are also paid what they're worth and I don't feel giving term to Byron was all that detrimental given what he's paid.

Danault is a young C with size who could already possibly put up 20pts with some room to grow. I don't see him as anything special but he's certainly not horrible either and he's also paid accordingly.

How people have flack with any of these guys other than maybe Flynn I don't get. Would you rather McCarron playing in Flynn's role getting 7 mins a night on the 4th line? I know I wouldn't.

If you want to have beef with anyone it's DD and his 3.5 million end of story imo.

couldn't put it any better myself. Flynn really doesn't do much of anything. dependable depth. that's it. The other 3 are great 4th liners. I think Danault could even be a 3rd liner personally. Mitchell and Byron put up great numbers for 4th liners last year. As well as considering how much they played.

No idea why they get so much flak.

Still think DD is not the one keeping Mac in the minors. While he's progressed tremendously, he has ways to go. Not only that but I believe he is much better suited to the wing. Surprised that we insist so much on having him play center when he was drafted as a winger and only really played center for that second half of season in Oshawa. He's certainly looked much better at wing and it makes sense since it allows him to use his strength along the boards more often.

If he's gonna be a top 6, I'm pretty sure it'll be on the wing. I'd be over the moon if he could be an upgrade on Pleks but that might be asking a bit too much.

And you're dead on about Big Mac. He could arguably be on the roster now but really it's not going to hurt at all for him to dominate in the AHL. He can still be better though he showed some really nice things. Putting him on the 4th line is pointless. Chances are he ends up on the Habs full time by the end of the year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre is respected within the hockey community, Don isnt.

No comparison at all.

Last time I quoted Pierre M., got lambasted by several pro-Weber fans, who tore into him like he was some kind of pariah.

So, no more quoting Pierre for me unless he breaks a story. However, those who do resort to selectively quoting him when it suits them, should be called on it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This all depends on his role in St Johns. Playing under Sly may actually be detrimental to his progression...

no it won't be a problem as Lefebvre gave him all the quality ice time even when he couldn't buy a goal. He played the entire season on the top 6, only 1 game did he move him off Center and was always on the PP and PK.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

He played centre that first half season in London before being dealt. And he did it well. (Domi was his winger exclusively that hal year)
Hes not and wasnt at the time a great stop n go player. Which guys running up n down need to be.

Wether he translates to C at the NHL level, not sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Roster issues, huh?

Yeah, caused by not buying out DD when they had the chance.

And since DD's contract makes him untradeable without the Habs adding an asset and given that Bergevin is likely unwilling to pay what it takes to move him, this helps create those "roster issues" that have led to ousting McCarron.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roster issues, huh?

Yeah, caused by not buying out DD when they had the chance.

And since DD's contract makes him untradeable without the Habs adding an asset and given that Bergevin is likely unwilling to pay what it takes to move him, this helps create those "roster issues" that have led to ousting McCarron.

You focus on the roster issues, but they also want him to play big minutes and learn. He hasn't even had a full season in the AHL yet.

Say what you want about Desharnais but when he first came up to the Habs from the AHL he scored more than 2 points in 20 games, and he wasn't out of gas at the end of most shifts.

Desharnais gets his chance to pivot two real third line players, and if he does not produce, and McCarron is dominating the AHL, Big Mike will be back up soon enough. It may not even take DD failing for a return to happen, injuries always play a part in an NHL season too.

Let's chill out. We knew before camp started that McCarron was likely going to start in the AHL. The fact that this remains the case despite him looking pretty good is a testament to the improvement of our roster over last year. For example, if Lehkonen doesn't walk in and look like a middle sixer right away, Shaw would be on the second line, and maybe MM gets to play 3RW. But AL made the roster, Carr who is more mature grabbed a 3rd line spot, Radulov came as advertised so far, and the only place for MM to play would be the 4th line. They don't want that and to be fair to him, they don't want him to be in Andrighetto's shoes either. Ghetto went from 2nd liner last year to 13th forward this year, due to the improvement of our roster. The real "roster issue" is that Sven is out of waiver-exempt years and he might still have too much potential to lose for nothing. Despite people's dislike for Desharnais, to be fair McCarron has NOT shown enough to displace what looks like a 30 pt 3C, when that fellow had a good enough camp to not lose his spot yet. In fact, people aren't sure if MM should even be a centreman. That's something else that needs to be evaluated in St. John's.

It's all good right now AFAIC with MM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad